Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  14:14:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I don't know whether or not it has been a week and the Al Frankin transcript with Scarborough has rotated off the site, but a search of the week's transcripts turns up no Al Frankin nor does a search of the MSNBC site turn up anything. I guess they didn't like being caught slanting the news by repeating easily checked false facts.

Which makes last nights news on both Scarborough and FOX particularly putrid. They both interviewed Terri's sister who is now spouting this incredible garbage about Michael wanting Terri killed because if she just got a little speech therapy she could speak and tell everyone Michael caused her injuries. Are there really people in this country stupid enough to believe this made up news? That is frightening.

As to Hammersfahr's BS about no elevated cardiac enzymes, that is a crock. First, if your heart stops from a rhythm disorder due to an electrolyte imbalance from self induced vomiting, it is different than a heart attack from a blocked cardiac artery that kills a section of heart muscle before the the heart stops.

It is bad enough when these idiots put on their unbalanced news, but to make such incredibly unsupported accusations about someone abusing their spouse leading to cardiac arrest and later willful murder to cover it up is waaay over the line.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  14:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I have made a couple of phone calls today regarding Dr Hammesfahr. I called the numbers listed on this form: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/enforcement/frm_psyUCF.pdf
...and was informed that a doctor claiming to be a Nobel Prize nominee wasn't something they dealth with.

I currently have an email conversation in-progress with an individual identified as a "supervisor" with the Florida Board of Medicine, to try and find out if there are any ethical guidelines that apply to how a doctor may advertise their credentials. I will post whatever I get from them. This guy claiming title to the most prestegious medical award, falsely, has my knickers in a bit of a knot.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  14:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
As to Hammersfahr's BS about no elevated cardiac enzymes, that is a crock. First, if your heart stops from a rhythm disorder due to an electrolyte imbalance from self induced vomiting, it is different than a heart attack from a blocked cardiac artery that kills a section of heart muscle before the the heart stops.

Yes, also the tests available in 1990 were significantly less sophisticated then cardiac enzyme tests available and in use today.

His credibility is further lessened by his attempts to diagnose a several-years-old cardiac injury, when his alledged specialty is neurology.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  04:18:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
http://mediamatters.org/items/200503290005

Neurologist Cranford confronted Scarborough, MSNBC daytime anchor:
quote:
"You're asking me if a CAT scan was done? How could you possibly be so stupid?"
Video clip included.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  05:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
That was fun to watch

These pundits who are pretending to be journalists NEED to have more people like that on their shows.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  05:18:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
This is just great!
quote:
SCARBOROUGH: You know what? This is the disappointing thing. You try to have a conversation.

Oh, the sillyness of those guys is just unbelievable. What a moron.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  21:02:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Currently have 2 seperate email conversations going with the state of FL, regarding Dr Hammesfahr's claim of being a 1999 Nobel Prize nominee.

One with the Consumer Services Unit of the Dept of Health, the other with a person from the Florida Board of Medicine.

Currently trying to find out if there is an official policy for how an MD can advertise their credentials, and if there is any ethical guideline for honesty/truthfullness.

My suspicion is that the end result will be that he's allowed to claim it, even though it is a bogus claim, because of that letter from Rep. Bilirakus.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  11:16:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well... I contacted the Nobel Foundation. They had this to say:

quote:
Dear Bryan W.,

We have been aware of Dr. Hammesfahr's wrongful use of the Nobel name since 2002 and we are aware of the fact that legal action is taken against him regarding his medical activities.

The Executive Director of the Nobel Foundation, Mr. Michael Sohlman, was asked to make a deposition in a trial in May last year against Dr. Hammesfahr, regarding his use of the Nobel name and the nomination procedure for the Nobel Prize, but as it turned out his deposition was not needed.

I noticed, however, when looking at his website that most of the information regarding his alleged nomination has now been removed from the website. But still, Dr. Hammesfahr is wrongfully using the title "Nobel Nominee".

As you have read in our statutes, all documents concerning nominations for the Nobel Prizes are classified for at least fifty years and nominees are never notified about the fact that they have been nominated for a Nobel Prize. Since all nominators and nominees are bound by professional secrecy, the use of the title “Nobel Nominee” is incorrect and has no relevance in a professional or scientific context.

Although we can not go to the archives and search for specific nominators we can certify that persons eligible to make nominations for the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine are always scientific experts in the field. Persons with political, administrative or non-scientific functions or assignments, such as a member of Congress or a member of the American Federation of Police, are never invited to make nominations. Therefore it is most unlikely (impossible) that Senator Michael Bilirakis or Detective Lieutenant G.D.M. Munson, III have been invited by the Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine to make nominations. In this case their letters to the Nobel Committee from January 1999 has no relevance.

The nominations are investigated with the help of specially appointed experts. Nominees are never contacted by the Nobel Committees during this process, neither by telephone or mail.

Again, since all nominators and nominees are bound by professional secrecy, Dr. Hammesfahr's use of the title “Nobel Nominee” is incorrect and has no relevance in a professional or scientific context.

Yours sincerely

Annika Ekdahl

-----------------------------------------------------

Annika Ekdahl

Informationsansvarig/Public Relations Manager

Nobelstiftelsen/The Nobel Foundation

P.O. Box 5232

SE-102 45 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: +46-8-663 14 70

Fax: +46-8-660 38 47

Web: nobelprize.org

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Bryan
Skickat: den 6 april 2005 02:54
Till: Info
Ämne: A question.

Hello,

I live in St. Petersburg Florida. It has come to my notice recently that there is a local physician (MD) who is advertising himself as a "1999 Nobel Prize Nominee". It was my understanding that the list on nominees was maintained in secret for fifty years. Apparently this doctor was "nominated" by a US Congressman. It was also my understanding that just being a US Congressman does not give one the privelage of being able to officially nominate a person for the Nobel Prize.

I am attempting to register a complaint with the Florida Board of Medicine concerning the advertizing practice of the doctor in question. They have requested that I, as the person bringing the complaint, provide some documentation concerning the list of nominees for the prize, and how that list is maintained and released to the public.

If there is any way you can assist me in this matter it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bryan W.

(edited to remove my private email address and shorten my last name to "W.")

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  12:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I believe it's also the first time I've heard the name "Detective Lieutenant G.D.M. Munson, III" in relation to Hammesfahr, so that's interesting, too. Another claim of his, or actually another person who has "nominated" this quack?

Of course, you did give enough hints to figure out who you were talking about.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with a "W."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  12:27:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I believe it's also the first time I've heard the name "Detective Lieutenant G.D.M. Munson, III" in relation to Hammesfahr, so that's interesting, too. Another claim of his, or actually another person who has "nominated" this quack?

From the context I'm taking it as another person who "nominated" him....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  01:50:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

From the context I'm taking it as another person who "nominated" him....

I am so impressed you got that response. If the issue was still going I'd ask to forward it to the Al Frankin program on Air America.

The doctor asking, "how could you be that stupid" was so typical of some doctors I know. They are just not afraid to say what they think. The reporter sooo deserved the response.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:10:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
The reporter sooo deserved the response.

Yeah. If that girl had a shred of journalistic integrity she'd understand that Scarborough is NOT a journalist, but a political pundit.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  21:26:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
No further updates. Not sure what the FL Board of Medicine is doing (I suspect nothing but hoping I will stop emailing them). The consumer services complaint people seem to be ignoring me as well.

They all get a few more days to get back to me though. I'll be out of town (meaning, away from an internet connection) for about a week. (back on the 20th)

We'll see if any of them have anything else to say to me by then. If not I may just have to call up Dr Hammesfahr himself and see what he has to say on the issue.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  01:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

No further updates. Not sure what the FL Board of Medicine is doing (I suspect nothing but hoping I will stop emailing them). The consumer services complaint people seem to be ignoring me as well.

They all get a few more days to get back to me though. I'll be out of town (meaning, away from an internet connection) for about a week. (back on the 20th)

We'll see if any of them have anything else to say to me by then. If not I may just have to call up Dr Hammesfahr himself and see what he has to say on the issue.

If it's a vacation, have a good one and if it's business, be successful. I look forward to what the charlaton good doctor might have to say on the topic of lying for glory, although I fear that it might be no more than a phone-slamming noise....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  06:30:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Is it legal to record such a phone-call on tape without him knowing about it?

In Sweden it actually is, under certain conditions: If you are an inverstigating reporter and you have reason to believe that the person you're talking to will answer untruthfully if he is aware that he's being taped. I think there are some other provisions too, but don't recall them right now.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.