Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  19:06:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Is it legal to record such a phone-call on tape without him knowing about it?

In the US you have to have some notification that a call is being recorded. Usually this is indicated by a verbal statement to that effect and a beep at regular intervals during the conversation.

Just got back in (was in IL visiting my father and shooting a couple of fat turkeys Meleagris gallopavo silvestris and fishing for some crappies)

After I ead through a few hundred emails in my inbox and sort through the junk... I'll see about taking some more steps here. I'll more than likely be conducting any communications with Dr Hammesfahr's office via email. I think it is unlikely that I will recieve a response from him directly.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  19:54:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:

WHY CAN'T MSNBC and FOX News?

I'm a little late to this thread. I didn't know about the 50 years thing. I googled for it because not replies had any further information. I'm pretty sure they know.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,65399,00.html
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7026061/
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  21:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
A line from both articles, almost identicle:

quote:
The list remains secret for 50 years, but those who nominate sometimes announce their choice.

No byline on either article, both from the AP.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I can say with a degree of certainty that only a select group of individuals are allowed to nominate for the Nobel in medicine/physiology, which is the point of my OP. I am unaware of any difference in the way people are nominated for the peace prize as well.

The reason the list of nominees for the prize in medicine/physiology is kept secret is to maintain the high level of prestiege that comes with the award and to keep those who didn't win from laying claim to the title of "Nobel Prize Nominee".

Maybe the selection process for the Nobel Peace Prize is different, or has different rules with regard to releasing information concerning nominees. Will have to look into it a bit.

I'd think that anyone who released the name of a nominee (the only way you would have this info is if you were on the panel of one of the people invited to nominate) for the medicine/physiology prize would lose their privelage to nominate people and/or be kicked off the board.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  00:16:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Maybe the selection process for the Nobel Peace Prize is different,...
When looking at some of the individuals that has won this prize, you could certainly say that....
Edited by - Starman on 04/21/2005 00:17:32
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  11:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://nobelprize.org/peace/nomination/index.html

As I thought, the process of nominating for a Nobel Peace Prize is very much like the process for the other Nobels.

There is a limited pool of people who are allowed to nomininate, and the list of nominees is maintained in secret for 50 years.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  17:16:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Any news about the Quack doctor H?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  22:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Finals comming up this week... haven't had a chance to compose a letter to his office yet. I will though, and will post amy responses I get.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  13:11:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Sent an email to Dr Hammesfahr's office today. Not sure that they/he will bother to respond.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  15:35:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, I got a response to my email to Dr Hammesfahr's office.

Here it is:
quote:
We are out of the office and returning on October 29th. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please feel free to contact us on October 29th and we would be happy to assist you.

Thanks,
Office Staff

Just toooooo funny.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  16:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Looks like this is at an end. I have no response from this Dr's office, and no response from the FL agencies I contacted.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.