New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  13:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Of all the Bush F-ups the Man on Mars thing bites me the most, we could send a thousand rovers to mars for the same price... Men may someday have an eaiser time with space travel, until then we need to get the house in order.*

*BPS Does not believe the house will ever be 'in order' again.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 04/01/2005 13:56:04
Go to Top of Page

lord_hevonen

30 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  13:59:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lord_hevonen a Private Message

quote:
The idea of the human species living anywhere but Earth as an alternative to living on Earth because of environmental damage is ludicrous. As you point out, Earth would have to be pretty fucked up in order to make Mars - the most Earth like world in our solar system - an attractive alternative. However, this does not mean that space colonization for other reasons is a bad idea. It is my personal belief that spreading life - human or otherwise - to other worlds, including those around stars other than Sol, is the greatest thing the human species will ever do; or fail to do.

I agree with you 100%. I just get pissed off when i hear "space colonization" mentioned as a solution to global problems. And, as other posters have pointed out, this idea has never really been posed by respectable sources, just some loonies in the internet...
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  14:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf
<snip>
*BPS Does not believe the house will ever be 'in order' again.

When was the house ever in order before?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  14:25:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lord_hevonen

quote:
The idea of the human species living anywhere but Earth as an alternative to living on Earth because of environmental damage is ludicrous. As you point out, Earth would have to be pretty fucked up in order to make Mars - the most Earth like world in our solar system - an attractive alternative. However, this does not mean that space colonization for other reasons is a bad idea. It is my personal belief that spreading life - human or otherwise - to other worlds, including those around stars other than Sol, is the greatest thing the human species will ever do; or fail to do.

I agree with you 100%. I just get pissed off when i hear "space colonization" mentioned as a solution to global problems. And, as other posters have pointed out, this idea has never really been posed by respectable sources, just some loonies in the internet...

It is feasible that abundant and relatively cheap (there's a big start-up cost) energy could be generated via orbital solar collectors that would beam the energy back to earth in the form of microwaves, thus removing any need for fossil fuels or any energy generation on the ground (of course back-up systems would probably be a good idea, just in case ;)). Such a system would be an enormous boon for the environment. . . .

The same can be said for asteroid mining. More iron, nickle and other metals can be brought out of a single smallish asteroid than have been mined on Earth since mining began. And you you get all that without strip mining. But again, the up front investment is enormous.

If either of these two endeavors were undertaken, there would likely need to be some kind of permanent staffing in space to support them. Perhaps that would lead to zero-g shmelting and manufacturing and so on. Moving that stuff off planet wouldn't do much for the job market dirt side, but it would take pressure off the environment. Even good change is difficult.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/01/2005 22:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  02:07:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi
The same can be said for asteroid mining. More iron, nickle and other metals can be brought out of a single smallish asteroid than have been mined on Earth since mining began. And you you get all that without strip mining. But again, the up front investment is enormous.
<Enphasis added by Dr. Mabuse>
Other metals like platinum. There are asteroids that yield more than 5% platinum. Such an asteroid almost litterally worth it's weight in gold...
quote:

If either of these two endeavors were undertaken, there would likely need to be some kind of permanent staffing in space to support them.

That is why I posted the link to the Permanent-site. It's wishful thinkng, but it's one of my wet dreams in Space Exploration.
Have a look around, there are several suggestions on how to mine useful stuff.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  09:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
<snip>

quote:
That is why I posted the link to the Permanent-site. It's wishful thinkng, but it's one of my wet dreams in Space Exploration.
Have a look around, there are several suggestions on how to mine useful stuff.

I'm with you brother.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/04/2005 09:51:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.