Fatal Chiropactic Neck Adjustment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  12:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
This just turned up in my email box. Thought I would share. If anyone here is lives in the Toronto area, this might be worth attending.

quote:

Added: NOTE: Date is Friday, 08 April, 2005

The Case of the Allegedly Fatal Chiropractic Neck Adjustment

Crusading lawyers Amani and Neil Oakley address the bimonthly public meeting in
Toronto. Free admission. All welcome. OISE, Fifth floor, Room 5-185. 7 p.m.

The Oakley's law firm represented the family of Lana Dale Lewis at a closely
watched inquest that concluded in early 2004. Lewis, 45, died in 1996 of strokes
shortly after receiving chiropractic neck adjustments. After the inquest, which
took place over two and a half years, and brought in a decision that essentially
blamed the chiropractor's work, the Oakleys have been outspoken critics of
chiropractic neck adjustments. Amani electrified the audience at last year's
Skeptical Exposition with her robust presentation, and here's your chance to
hear this exciting speaker.

Skeptics Canada

www.skeptics.ca

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  12:37:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I have to admit that I have used the services of a chiropractor a few times, mostly because the chiropractor I found (found her while searching for a good massage therapist) is extremely hot, and so is her massage therapist... not to mention skilled enough to relax the always tight muscles in my back. But I never have thought that these people serve any valid medical use beyond the massage.

I'm a big guy, and have a sedentary job. It just feels good to have my back popped and then massaged for a good 45minutes :)

Oddly, I have never let them mess with my neck. Just to freaky.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  13:08:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
My 90-year-old mother has gone to a chiropractor for years and he works on her neck. I mentioned to her that I had read about problems arising from neck adjustments, especially in the elderly. Her chiropractor told her that that wasn't the kind of adjustment that he did. She says that he helps her, so I said no more.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  15:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
How could a chiropractic neck adjustment cause you to have a stroke? By pressing the carotid arteries until you faint, and then some?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  16:58:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
How could a chiropractic neck adjustment cause you to have a stroke? By pressing the carotid arteries until you faint, and then some?

A person with bad arterial sclerosis could have a piece of plaque break off in the corotid and travel to a small vessel in the brain...

But that's just speculation.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  17:38:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

From the the Quackwatch site:

quote:
Chiropractic's Dirty Secret:
Neck Manipulation and Strokes

Stroke from chiropractic neck manipulation occurs when an artery to the brain ruptures or becomes blocked as a result of being stretched. The injury often results from extreme rotation in which the practitioner's hands are placed on the patient's head in order to rotate the cervical spine by rotating the head [1]. The vertebral artery is vulnerable because it winds around the topmost cervical vertebra (atlas) to enter the skull, so that any abrupt rotation may stretch the artery and tear its delicate lining.

The rest of this article can be found here.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  01:58:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

From the the Quackwatch site:

quote:
Chiropractic's Dirty Secret:
Neck Manipulation and Strokes

Stroke from chiropractic neck manipulation occurs when an artery to the brain ruptures or becomes blocked as a result of being stretched. The injury often results from extreme rotation in which the practitioner's hands are placed on the patient's head in order to rotate the cervical spine by rotating the head [1]. The vertebral artery is vulnerable because it winds around the topmost cervical vertebra (atlas) to enter the skull, so that any abrupt rotation may stretch the artery and tear its delicate lining.

The rest of this article can be found here.

I also have taken care of a newly made quadriplegic in the ICU whose chiropractic care contributed to his permanent injury. The man fell off a roof but was able to move afterward. He saw a chiropractor for care rather than a doctor. Several days later he presented to the ED unable to move from the neck down. He ruptured an artery to his spinal cord. The physicians felt either he was injured in the fall and the chiropractor failed to diagnose it in time to prevent damage to the cord, or the chiropractor actually caused the rupture or made it worse by the neck manipulations. The damage was irreversible by the time the guy received a proper diagnosis and care.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 04/07/2005 01:58:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.