Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  16:20:25  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7465286/

A new study says that cloned meant and milk from cloned cows is the same as the non-cloned stuff.

But, the best line from the article:
quote:
Asked for comment, Carole Tucker Foreman of the consumer group Public Citizen questioned whether the researchers had looked at the problem of stress in the animals.

Stressed animals are known to produce pathogens, she said, and there has been evidence that the offspring of cloned animals suffer increased stress. She said this study seems to avoid that question.

She also questioned whether the researchers, who specialize in reproductive biology, were a truly disinterested source of information, and suggested that the small number of animals in the study might not be enough to produce definitive data.

Good for a chuckle atleast :)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  17:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Stressed animals are known to produce pathogens, she said, and there has been evidence that the offspring of cloned animals suffer increased stress. She said this study seems to avoid that question.

Ah, yes. I once knew a guy who had a stressful week at work and died of self-produced malaria.

Seriously, stress produces pathogens? How does such an unfounded idea as this even get printed in the first place? Perhaps she meant stressed animals are more susceptible to pathogens, in which case the editors should have corrected her statement.

quote:
Good for a chuckle atleast :)
True :)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/11/2005 17:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  17:19:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dude

Just to clarify, H.H. is quoting my quote of the article, not quoting me.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  19:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Carole Tucker Foreman may have cocked up when she said that stressed animals produce pathogens, but I think that whether or not cloned animals are more likely to harbor pathogens is a scientifically valid and interesting question (especially if this can have an impact on human health). I assume (and hope) that this is what she meant. It sounds as if she tries to dismiss the research by asking whether or not the researchers were disinterested or not. Personally I'd like to see her make that connection before she states something that sounds like an accusation (that the researchers specialized in reproductive biology is not enough to do that).

That the small number of animals in the study might not be enough to produce definitive data can always prove to be true, depending on what you define as definitive. It looks like they compared only the clones from one animal (looking at PNAS online I can't actually find the relevant article, so I'm not sure), and therefore you can always argue that sample size is effectively 1 and that any conclusion can't be extrapolated to other breeds of cows, and even less to other species of animals.

I like her name by the way. "Tucker" seems so appropriate for someone discussing food safety. It might make a good case for nominative determinism.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  19:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Huh. I'll type in what Carole Tucker Foreman had to say on All Things Considered:
Almost nobody has suggested that meat and milk from cloned animals is unsafe. The real issue is, "do we want to do this?" "Do we want to go there?"

Joe Palca (the reporter for the story): Tucker Foreman says for most people, the answer is "no."

Tucker Foreman: If you go ask your neighbor, "what do you think about having meat and milk from cloned animals," you're likely to get a "yuck." [chuckles] People make a face, and an ugly noise.

Palca: And Tucker Foreman says it's important to listen to people's gut reaction, even if they can't articulate precisely why cloning makes them uncomfortable.
And that's pretty much it for her involvement in that telling of the story.

Personally, I think this is more interesting for the differences shown between MSNBC and NPR than anything else.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  21:07:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Carole Tucker Foreman may have cocked up when she said that stressed animals produce pathogens, but I think that whether or not cloned animals are more likely to harbor pathogens is a scientifically valid and interesting question (especially if this can have an impact on human health).

Actually, what she said was "stressed" animals produce pathogens. Even if it is a simple misstatement, and she meant succeptable (or some analog of that) due to stress, she'd need to be citing some legitimate reference/study in support of the argument.

And, as for stressed animals being more succeptable, that would have imlications for ALL animals used for food, regardless of their origin.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  02:25:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I don't know enough about this to comment, but I fail to see where cloned meat would be much different from any other from the same species.

The stress factor might have an impact on flavor, however. The difference in venison taken from a deer that has been run and one that was shot while at rest is detectable.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.