Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  22:05:07  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
I was talking to Ricky, and Dave W. in chat last night. The question came up; what is your goal in being here at SFN?

Personally my main goal is to show that there is another kind of Christian out there. There are Christians who think criticly, and I try to be one of them. And as my goal in everyday life is, I try to be a living example of Christ. (and I often fail miserably)

So what about you guys?
[Moved to the General Discussion folder - Dave W.]

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  23:35:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Lots of goals really,

Interesting discussions with similar (but not the same) views.
Occasional absurd discussions with beings from other realities.
Gain knowledge.
Spread information.

Why I'm a skeptic

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  01:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
To learn, of course, and to have a little fun while doing it. And perhaps to pass along what small but hard earned knowledge I might have.

quote:
Personally my main goal is to show that there is another kind of Christian out there. There are Christians who think criticly, and I try to be one of them. And as my goal in everyday life is, I try to be a living example of Christ. (and I often fail miserably)

We know. The woods and fields are full of them. It is only the lunatic fringe that takes a beating here, although sometimes there is a splash effect that spatters everybody within range. Unfortunatly, that fringe is is louder and much more visable than what I think of as 'honest theists.'

And as for failing miserably, that's good. It's a sign of humanity. If you don't make a hash of it now and then, you're not trying hard enough and will never enjoy success.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  02:25:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Read interesting discussions, learn a few things, cause some trouble ... [>:)]
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  04:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
My goal is to impose my indomitable will on all.

I didn't think I had a goal, but when I read threads like the thread on free will, or Filthy's thread on venoms or Kil's article on False Memory and many others, I guess the goal is to soak up what I can.

There are people who call themselves skeptics and atheists who don't think critically as well. I'm one of them. That doesn't mean that I agree with people who believe in demons and spirits. That just means that I know we're all in the same boat trying to keep dry and go in the same direction.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 04/14/2005 04:24:26
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  04:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I also post on christianforums, where I come in contact with a number of the real fundamentalist nut-jobs. My goal in posting here is maintaining my sanity (at least to some extent).

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  06:20:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by byhisgrace88

I was talking to Ricky, and Dave W. in chat last night. The question came up; what is your goal in being here at SFN?

So what about you guys?

My main goal here lies in satisfactory procrastination.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  06:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
My reason for being there started out by just wanting to hang around people with SFN kind of mindset. Rather quickly I realised that I could learn a lot about skepticism, critical thinking, logical fallacies in discussion techniques, and other stuff. So learning has become one of my goals of being here.

Being a former Christian, I can somewhat relate to other Christians way of thinking, even if it seems more and more alien to me for each day. I also have an interest in Astronomy, physics, and computers. If I can share knowledge and/or insights to this board, then I'm giving something back.

Information and knowledge flows both ways and I'm here for the benefit of both me, and mankind.

(Edited spelling)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/14/2005 07:39:08
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  07:12:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by byhisgrace88

So what about you guys?
[Moved to the General Discussion folder - Dave W.]

My goal here is to help others and to learn. I think most folks here can tell the difference between a Christian and a Fundie. The folks here who get it the worst around here make assertions without being able to back it up.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 04/14/2005 07:12:49
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  07:44:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
The folks here who get it the worst around here make assertions without being able to back it up.

Well, that would be the goal anyway and that's the way it goes most of the time.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  08:00:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
As I said last night in the chat, my main goal here is to learn. From snake venom to HERV's, not a day goes by where I don't learn something new. But it isn't only information I am after. Almost all of what I know about critical thinking and skepticism comes from observing you folks here.

Then of course there is my obsession to debate with woo-woo's that occasionally drop by.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  08:30:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Well, to echo the crowd, to leech of your collective intellects (and heck, why not do it with a little bit of fun?). I echo Ricky in special when it comes to learning about critical thinking and skepticism.
And be a complete nuisance while at it

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  09:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Well, to echo the crowd, to leech of your collective intellects (and heck, why not do it with a little bit of fun?). I echo Ricky in special when it comes to learning about critical thinking and skepticism.
And be a complete nuisance while at it

This and several other posts here make me very happy. My goal has always been for SFN to be a site for “the rest of us.” To demonstrate that critical thinking is a tool that anyone can and should use. Back when we started, CSICOP was almost the only game in town. Randi was sending out newsletters, but had no forum. In fact, I think we were one of the first forums dedicated to skepticism on the web. Also, non-academics most often write our articles. Me, for example. That is not the case at CSICOP. And, given their mission, that is as it should be.

SFN is a populist site. That has always been my vision of what SFN should be anyway.

Edited: made some small changes...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  13:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
As I've noted before, I first came here doing searches about Hank Hanegraaff
, the so-called "Bible Answerman." I used to listen to him, well, religiously to hear him spew his twisted arguments against evolution and atheism to the sheep-ish Christians who called in.

I stayed because I had fun debating fundie Christians about creationism and their misconceptions about the ancient world from which the Judeo-Christian religion sprang.

I've also enjoyed learning about all sorts of new things in the world of science, politics and art. All of this has come from a great commuity of like-minded people that I'm happy to know, if only electronically through SFN. Indeed, perhaps one day some rish SFNer will charter planes so interested people can all meet for an afternoon...

Till then, of course, I'll keep checking here and enjoying my time spent.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  16:02:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This has been my home away from home for quite a while now -- and the needle tracks on my are are hardly noticable....

There always seems to be something interesting going on around here. And only rarely is something written in technical language. Nothing wrong with tech-talk, but you lose some of your readers if you go too heavy with it.

An excellent place to hang out and a good bunch to hang with, including those I don't agree with. As Cuneiformist sez, it is a pity we can't get together somewhere and party...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  16:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

An excellent place to hang out and a good bunch to hang with, including those I don't agree with. As Cuneiformist sez, it is a pity we can't get together somewhere and party...

Indeed! Alas, if only someone flew me up there, or the dollar's price went down again... so many people to meet...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.