Page: of 2

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  00:44:15  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
From http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=20574
quote:
Intelligent design's first goal is to demonstrate the inadequacy of Darwinian evolution as an explanation of the origin of the universe, Dembski said

There are only three possible explanations for such a statement
  1. Dembski is severely misquoted.
  2. Dembski is totally ignorant of Darwinian evolution
  3. Dembski is an utterly dishonest person.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  01:59:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

From http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=20574
quote:
Intelligent design's first goal is to demonstrate the inadequacy of Darwinian evolution as an explanation of the origin of the universe, Dembski said

There are only three possible explanations for such a statement
  1. Dembski is severely misquoted.
  2. Dembski is totally ignorant of Darwinian evolution
  3. Dembski is an utterly dishonest person.

4: Dembski is highly unambitious.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  02:52:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
On the contraty, Plyss; I think that Dembski is highly ambitious, as well as an utterly dishonest person (who also makes shitty barbeque; the unpardonable sin). He is working very hard at getting his nonsense into the schools, and the harder he works, the higher his profile becomes. If he is successful, his name and fame will become huge, with all of the material rewards that come with it.

I think that he wants to become the next Darwin, but lacks the intellect and indeed, the will to do it in any legitmate field of science. So, he must deny the ToE in the face of all fact and evidence, and rely upon those who have never studied the topic, and wouldn't anyway due to their fundementalist beliefs. I further think that he understands this perfectly well, but is willing to prostitute what intellect he has to attain his goals.

There is a certain stained immorality to Dembski; like spilled oil on a concrete floor. Like too many polititions, he has no problems with lying to his constituancy. But unlike those polititions, he can't be impeached nor voted out of office when caught at it, as he has been many times. So, he can blythly continue to spread his feces, no matter the factual rebuttals sent his way. His audience, an audience that all magicians, conjurers, and flim-flam artists dream of, will continue to fawn over him. And those on the sidelines, who have a living to make and don't have time to follow it, simply go along with the crowd.

I think that ultimitly, Dembski will fail. He will have no influence on the scientific arts, which deal only in reality, and precious little elsewhere beyond the fundies. While the fundies are the loudest and most obnoxious, they are also a small minority.

Fuck Dembski and all of his works.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  05:01:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Dembski holds debate on ID as science, forgets to invite scientists:
http://www.pandasthumb.org/pt-archives/000958.html#more
Edited by - Starman on 04/14/2005 05:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  06:17:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Dembski has forgotten the roots of ID, namely:
We are building on this momentum, broadening the wedge with a positive scientific alternative to materialistic scientific theories, which has come to be called the theory of intelligent design (ID). Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions.
Except, of course, that ID hasn't yet offered a "positive scientific alternative" to anything, and we're well past five years now. Oh, check this goal:
6. Ten states begin to rectify ideological imbalance in their science curricula & include design theory
That should have happened by 2003, also. While several states have tried, they've pretty much all been overturned, also.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  18:52:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message

The guy is an ass.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  01:48:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

The guy is an ass.

Indeed. And his schtick should be called: 'Incompent Design.' After all, there are a virtual myriad of such poorly thought-out set-ups as nonfeeding insects with mouth parts -- mayflies for example, and we all start life with a potential time bomb hidden on the tag end of our large intestine.

Yes! The freakin' Designer designed us with a freakin' appendix!

There it lurks, awaiting just the right moment to scarf up enough bacteria to get a good, ripe infection. Then it will burst in a determined suicide attempt, taking it's unfortunate owner along with it.

And that ain't all, not by a long chalk. If we survive flaming appendecitis, or manage to mollify the little terrorist, or get the fucker yanked, we pay for the extended lifespan with hassle and pain from shitty spinal design. Wanna see a well designed biped? Look at a chicken, or any of the ratites such as the cassowary.

And how 'bout them pelvic bones in Cetacea, hah? What's up with that?What the hell does a whale need a pelvis for? This is Intelligent? It don't look even half smart to me.

D'you reckon Dembski might be full of shit?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/21/2005 01:57:12
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  04:50:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

1. Dembski is an utterly dishonest person.

And
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
There is a certain stained immorality to Dembski; like spilled oil on a concrete floor. Like too many polititions, he has no problems with lying to his constituancy. But unlike those polititions, he can't be impeached nor voted out of office when caught at it, as he has been many times. So, he can blythly continue to spread his feces, no matter the factual rebuttals sent his way.

That is what I find most troubling. That somehow lying in the name of god is ok and in no way violates the "Thou shall not bear false witness" commandment. I find Dembski utterly contemptible. He has the credentials but not the will to do the hard work required by good science.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  05:09:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

That is what I find most troubling. That somehow lying in the name of god is ok and in no way violates the "Thou shall not bear false witness" commandment. I find Dembski utterly contemptible. He has the credentials but not the will to do the hard work required by good science.
My guess is that he is lying in the name of book sales and lecture fees.
Science is hard and usually unrewarding in the money sense. Lying is easier and if you tell the right lies to the right people you can really earn some money.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  05:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by moakley

My guess is that he is lying in the name of book sales and lecture fees.
Science is hard and usually unrewarding in the money sense. Lying is easier and if you tell the right lies to the right people you can really earn some money.
It struck me that this might have been part of what led Gish away from real science and into creationism. I mean, it would be unlikely that he could raise millions to build another museum dedicated to science and evolution. Indeed, it would cost far more than that simply because of the research and effort needed. But a creation museum would be easy. Send out your fund-rasing requests to the fundie mailing list to get started. While the money pours in, spend a few hours quote-mining scientists and preparing Bible verses. Print it all out, put them in your museum, and there you go! Much easier, and much more profitable than actually working!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  00:07:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
More on the lack of integrity/competence of Dembski:

http://evolutionblog.blogspot.com/2005/05/study-in-id-duplicity.html

Incompetent, liar or both?
quote:
Incidentally, Dembski's original essay asserts only that Ward is not a creationist. He made no mention of ID at that time. This suggests that Dembski, despite his frequent public statements to the contrary, does not really believe there is any important difference between ID and creationism.
I would say both.

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  08:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

The guy is an ass.

Indeed. And his schtick should be called: 'Incompent Design.' After all, there are a virtual myriad of such poorly thought-out set-ups as nonfeeding insects with mouth parts -- mayflies for example, and we all start life with a potential time bomb hidden on the tag end of our large intestine.

Yes! The freakin' Designer designed us with a freakin' appendix!

There it lurks, awaiting just the right moment to scarf up enough bacteria to get a good, ripe infection. Then it will burst in a determined suicide attempt, taking it's unfortunate owner along with it.

And that ain't all, not by a long chalk. If we survive flaming appendecitis, or manage to mollify the little terrorist, or get the fucker yanked, we pay for the extended lifespan with hassle and pain from shitty spinal design. Wanna see a well designed biped? Look at a chicken, or any of the ratites such as the cassowary.

And how 'bout them pelvic bones in Cetacea, hah? What's up with that?What the hell does a whale need a pelvis for? This is Intelligent? It don't look even half smart to me.

D'you reckon Dembski might be full of shit?

In his infinite wisdom God gave us wisdom teeth. We have too many teeth to fit on our jaws. And then, after much suffering, he gave us oral surgeons to deal with them…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  10:32:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Don't get me started on our knees and throats.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  06:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
And He gave (some of) us Dental Insurance! It says so in the Good Book if you use your exegenisis "correctly"....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:08:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And that ain't even the least of it. Mammalian, including our sacred selves, have our vision centers in the rear of our brains. The images from our eyes have farther to travel to be interpreted.

And what the hell is the coccyx and the attached musclature for? We don't have tails to wag. But if tou fall on your ass just so and break that tailbone, well, you'll really learn to hate it. Also, as we lack an attacked flyswatter, why is it that it's jointed instead of a single bone?

What idiot came up with all that? It's so stupid that you'd think evolution had someto do with it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  00:26:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Yep, all the signs of an unintelligent designer.
A mindless plagiarizing designer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.