New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  18:30:01  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Get your very own talking jesus! Yes, they are for real.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  01:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
"I don't care if it rains or freezes,
As long as I've got my plastic Jesus,
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car...."

The selling of religious icons, relics and artifacts to the franticly obcessed faithful is a business that doubtless dates back the first religion. In the Middle Ages, anything from hand-crafted statuettes and paintings, to bits of kindling true cross slivers, to various scraps of a defunct saint's carcass could be had for a price all over Christiandom. Some of it was pretty imaginative and even artistic. The Shroud of Turin, for example.

The only thing that has changed is the technology, and that the art and imagination has fled like a thief, pun intended.

And yet again, I find myself amused by the depiction of a blue-eyed, caucasion native of the ancient Mid-east. Don't any of these peddlers of nonsense or their customers ever pay any attention at all to detail?

No, apparently not.

Ah well. No doubt the dolls'll sell nicely as did the junk of yore, doing their part in keeping the ecomomy moving, twenty five dollars at a time (with a generous discount for churchs and bulk buyers, o' course).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  03:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
If the dummies/idols cost $25 a piece it can hardly be love of god that motivates the producers.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  02:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Speaking of plastic Jesuses, I had a laugh at all the souvenirs for sale at the Vatican. I couldn't help thinking of Jesus the money changers scene in the Bible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.