Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  10:41:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Am I the only one creeped out with this particular choice?

No. Cardinal Ratzinger's past service in the Hitler Youth left me hoping someone else would be chosen.
No kidding. That, coupled with his rather harsh stances towards anything enlightening that came out of the 20 century, is disturbing. Good news? He's 78. I don't imagine he'll be around for too much longer, but who knows.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Heil Emmenence!

Oh hell; that's not funny.

Sorry....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:14:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
What can you expect from a bunch of old white guys? I would have been shocked if they elected the African and very surprised if they had chosen the Latino. We often forget how entrenched those old prejudices really are. Despite the growth of a more modern world moral consciousness, these are guys from my Dad's generation. Think what a big deal it was that the last Pope was, "oh my gosh", Polish. I think of Poles and Germans as white Europeans. For that matter Spaniards and Italians are as well. But Africans and Latinos, (even though Latinos have close links to Spaniards), are not seen as equals in this crowd. Which makes it amazing so many Africans and Latinos have chosen a religion prejudiced against them. Blacks in the Mormon Church are equally an odd phenomenon. Women don't have a lot of options so that's a subject for another thread.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:14:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Heil Emmenence!

Oh hell; that's not funny.

Sorry....

*shuder*

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

sweetmiracle
Skeptic Friend

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  22:06:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sweetmiracle a Private Message
Hmmmm Benedict is an interesting choice of name. Could he be familiar with the prophecies of St. Malachy?

Born in 1094 A.D. at Armagh, Ireland, Saint Malachy is also known as: Maolmhaodhog ua Morgair; Maol Maedoc; and Malachy O'Morgair. He died as he himself predicted, on November 2, 1148 at Clairvaux, France. Malachy was canonized the first Irish Saint in the Catholic Church by Pope Clement III in 1190 A.D.

The correspondence between the prophecies of Saint Malachy and the Mayan Calendar (whose 'long count' ends in 2012) are alarming, to put it mildly. Why did the ancient Mayan or pre-Maya choose December 21st, 2012 A.D., as the end of their Long Count calendar?

Saint Malachy was a 12th century Irish monk, who, while on a visit to Rome had a vision of all the popes who would ever reign. Malachy "saw"-and committed to paper- a series of Latin phrases describing the popes to come. He catalogued each one with an epigrammatic verse, such as 'the tears of the sun'. Malachy made the prophecy in 1139. Reportedly it was entrusted to Pope Innocent II in 1140. But for some reason it was "lost" in the Vatican for 400 years, only to be "discovered" in 1595 A.D. Malachy s predictions reputedly were made in 1139 while he was on a pilgrimage to the Vatican, where he was appointed papal legate for Ireland. On his last trek to the holy see in Rome, in 1148, Malachy accurately predicted the place and time of his own death: Clairvaux, France, on All Souls Day, November 2, of that same year.

9. The Glory of the Olive. The Order of St. Benedict has said this Pope will come from their order. It is interesting that Jesus gave his apocalyptic prophecy about the end of time from the Mount of Olives. This Pope will reign during the beginning of the tribulation Jesus spoke of. The 111th prophesy is "Gloria Olivae" (The Glory of the Olive). The Order of Saint Benedict has claimed that this pope will come from their ranks. Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its fight against evil. Traditionally, the olive branch has been associated with peace, but in both the Old and New Testaments it also serves as an emblem for the Jews. Putting the two together, some commentators believe that the reign of this pope will be a peaceful one during which the prophesied conversion of the Jews will take place. Several ex-Jews are said to be highly placed in the Catholic Church now. And, it is noteworthy that the previous Benedict (XV) was a pope obsessed with peace. Some others say, he will lead all faithful followers of the Lord Jesus to martyrdom and others say that he will tear down the walls of the Vatican, auctioning off all the objects within, in order to feed and enlighten those in the 3rd World who have not yet heard the Gospel of Christ.

Will "The Glory of the Olive" be the last Pope?

The problem with the prophecies as listed in The Prophecies of St. Malachy, published by the Thomas A. Nelson, a Catholic Publishing House, is that Malachy's original works listed only 111 Popes, not 112, as given in the TAN version of the prophecies. Sometime between the first and subsequent printings the 112th, Petrus Romanus, was added to Malachy's prophecy. It was added after the 1820 publication of the prophecies.

On April 19th, 2005 Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was elected Pope Benedict XVI. The name Benedict means "blessing". Does this name automatically fulfill this prophecy? Will the papacy of this 78 year old pope be short lived? Is this the beginning of Tribulation? Will the next pope be the last pope? Will the next pope be a Roman and choose the name Peter?

http://www.bibleprobe.com/last10popes.htm

Did he choose the name to make himself fulfill prophecy??? Of course not, it was a Soupernacheral event. Stay tuned for this and other manipulations of the faithful....

Remarkable claims require remarkable proof.

-Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  00:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

No. Cardinal Ratzinger's past service in the Hitler Youth left me hoping someone else would be chosen.
That only means that he was a youth in Germany when the Hitler Youth was mandatory.

It is what I hear about his political views that creeps me out.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  01:38:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:

That only means that he was a youth in Germany when the Hitler Youth was mandatory.

Indeed, although it might be argued that he formed the genesis of those views during his Nazi period.

Nazis were big on religion with a large percentage of them being Catholic, as was Hitler himself. I suppose that we will soon see how much of the fascist is still with him.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  06:50:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
The problem with the prophecies as listed in The Prophecies of St. Malachy, published by the Thomas A. Nelson, a Catholic Publishing House, is that Malachy's original works listed only 111 Popes, not 112, as given in the TAN version of the prophecies. Sometime between the first and subsequent printings the 112th, Petrus Romanus, was added to Malachy's prophecy. It was added after the 1820 publication of the prophecies.

(emphasis added by Dr. Mabuse)

So whatever the prophesy originally said, it's been proven wrong and invalidated by "upgrading".

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:17:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Starman

When I made that post I had a statement in this article in mind (emphasis mine):
quote:
April 17, 2005 -- A "fuhrer" furor is dogging the papal candidacy of Germany's top Roman Catholic cleric — over revelations he was a member of the Hitler Youth.
Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger — a favorite to become the next pontiff — joined the Nazi children's corps in 1941 as a 14-year-old and was later an anti-aircraft gunner.

At one point, he guarded a factory where slaves from a concentration camp were forced to work. He was later shipped to Hungary, where he reportedly saw Jews persecuted.

Ratzinger, a staunch conservative dubbed "God's Rottweiler," has said he joined the Hitler Youth when membership became compulsory. He and his brother were later drafted but deserted. The cardinal claims he never fired a shot and that resistance would have meant death.

Not so, Germans from his hometown of Traunstein told The Times of London.

"It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others," recalled Elizabeth Lohner, 84. "The Ratzingers were young — and they had made a different choice."

Yes, I know. It's the Post. However, the quote is from The Times of London.

As filthy has already stated, one might speculate (as I have) that it was the beginning the formation of his conservative views.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It would appear that "Papa Ratzi" started the shit that no one supporting abortion could recieve communoion, mainly John Kerry.
quote:
New pope intervened against Kerry in US 2004 election campaign Tue Apr 19, 6:20 PM ET

German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican theologian who was elected Pope Benedict XVI, intervened in the 2004 US election campaign ordering bishops to deny communion to abortion rights supporters including presidential candidate John Kerry.

In a June 2004 letter to US bishops enunciating principles of worthiness for communion recipients, Ratzinger specified that strong and open supporters of abortion should be denied the Catholic sacrament, for being guilty of a "grave sin."

He specifically mentioned "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws," a reference widely understood to mean Democratic candidate Kerry, a Catholic who has defended abortion rights.

This guy could turn out to be an even bigger prick than we'd thought.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:47:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

It would appear that "Papa Ratzi" started the shit that no one supporting abortion could recieve communoion, mainly John Kerry.
This guy could turn out to be an even bigger prick than we'd thought.

His Hitler Youth dust up and the decisions he made as a young man does not disturb me. His actions in the current era does. His foray into denial of communion to politicians who support abortion is just the latest. He expelled the "Dignity" groups from churches. The "Dignity" groups were for homosexual Catholics. He has made broad statements condemning homosexuality and Catholics who are homosexual are concerned over it. Likewise his sentiment that all other faiths contain fundamental errors (as was echoed by the late JPII) is cause for concern.

I think I've got a pretty good idea how big of a prick this guy can be. The selection of a Pope of his age is more to insure that his Papacy is short and cleans the slate for the next guy.

I only regret that Chicago's Cardinal Bernadin didn't live long enough to be considered for the post.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  11:02:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
I think I've got a pretty good idea how big of a prick this guy can be. The selection of a Pope of his age is more to insure that his Papacy is short and cleans the slate for the next guy.

I've never paid a much attention to the Catholic church and Papal politics, beyond reading historical accounts, but it seems to me that they could have chosen someone more in tune with modern times (I still suspect that the choice was made well before the cardinals were sequestered, indeed well before John Paul died).

It's my imagination of course, but photos of him creep me out. He has that zealot aspect, as if Torquemada might have been a childhood hero.

But we shall see.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  11:35:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well none of them are really in tune with modern times as most were appointed by the last two chumps.

I hear NewP's brother says he was shocked that they picked ratzinger due to his ailing health and such.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  07:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
A short search gave me no credible source, but it seems like the papa is bashing little Harry:
New Pope on record as critical of Harry Potter

An unwise move.

Edit: Typo

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 05/02/2005 07:07:26
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  09:28:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Viliant dancer said:
quote:
Likewise his sentiment that all other faiths contain fundamental errors (as was echoed by the late JPII) is cause for concern.

I agree with the pope on this. I would just expand he statement slightly by saying that the Catholic faith also contains fundamental errors.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.