Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  05:20:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Man, glad you lived through that. I hope both you and your friend have a speedy recovery.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  06:31:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, Ricky: happy Earth Day!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  07:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
Have you considered it might have been part of their evil plan to make a blood sacrifice of the non-members to Mother Earth?

Glad you're both okay.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  11:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Wow Ricky, that is a great story. You will be telling that one for the rest of your life. Chalk one up for the soft ground.

For myself, I have driven a car into a lake (don't ask, but I was not drinking). Totaled a snowmobile at 70 MPH (no injuries). Hit a fishing boat while pulling a skier (no injuries), and totaled a motorcycle at about 45 MPH (lost four teeth on that one). For some reason my wife will not let me get a pilots license?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  13:38:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I hate myself so much in pictures, and even more on camera, but oh well:

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=3244673&nav=RmOiYxgS

There is a video towards the bottom of the story.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  13:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Wow, Ricky!

I'm glad you're allright! Sue the ass off that driver, some people shouldn't have license in the first place.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  13:59:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I just checked the link... You're letting that girl off easy. But then, this event will probably stay with her and perhaps haunt her for quite a while too. She could have killed you, hopefully her conscience will remind her and keep her out of trouble in the future.

Anyway, it's good to know that you and your friend escaped without permanent injuries.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 04/22/2005 14:01:29
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  12:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I hate myself so much in pictures, and even more on camera, but oh well:

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=3244673&nav=RmOiYxgS

There is a video towards the bottom of the story.

I can't believe the shredded clothes!!! You guys look real good on the clip. Very sweet. Just want to get on with Earth day and no charges. I'm impressed.

Dr M, the driver was male not female. Probably no big difference but I hate to see the supposedly bad women driver myth reinforced.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  13:42:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Damn, Ricky! What is your head made of?

Seriously though, glad you survived with seemingly minor injuries.

Let this be a lesson to all of us. Whenever you sleep outdoors, do so in a large wood and brick structure as protection from errant pickup trucks!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  14:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
Dr M, the driver was male not female. Probably no big difference but I hate to see the supposedly bad women driver myth reinforced.

That was not my intention. Maybe my hearing is impaird and I'm not native English, and the sound of that clip was actually rather bad. My first gut instinct was that the driver was male, and definitly older than a student. But then I thought it sounded like a woman's name mentioned in the news-clip. Aparently I was wrong.

For those who think women are genetically unsuitable to handle vehicles I give you Michelle Mouton.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  14:24:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. MabuseMaybe my hearing is impaird and I'm not native English, and the sound of that clip was actually rather bad. My first gut instinct was that the driver was male, and definitly older than a student. But then I thought it sounded like a woman's name mentioned in the news-clip. Aparently I was wrong.
No, it was definitely one of those transgender names, like Erin or something, that could be either for boy or girl but primarily one would think girl. The only other context was once or twice the driver was referred to as a he. The guy might spell his name Arron or something.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 04/23/2005 14:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  19:26:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The name is "Aaron Barr." It's in the text which accompanies the video.

I know a women in the Netherlands named "Aase," so perhaps the double-A names are more-often feminine in the whole Scandinavian area?

And yes, on first read I thought it was "Aaron Burr," and I was planning on a joke about Ricky challenging the guy to a duel. Good thing I read it again, as nobody would have gotten the joke, anyway.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  03:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
I know a women in the Netherlands named "Aase," so perhaps the double-A names are more-often feminine in the whole Scandinavian area?

In Sweden we use the letter 'Å' (an A with a ring on top, like in the StarGÅte-logo) instead of the double-A. Though it's pronounced just like 'au' in 'sauce'. The name Åse is more common in Denmark and Norway than in Sweden where we mosty use the alterate spelling Åsa.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  03:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Maybe I was influenced by watching too much Farscape, thinking it sounded like Erin, as in Peacekeeper officer Aeryn Sun.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  09:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
And yes, on first read I thought it was "Aaron Burr," and I was planning on a joke about Ricky challenging the guy to a duel. Good thing I read it again, as nobody would have gotten the joke, anyway.
But if it had been Burr, the joke would actually have been pretty funny. Alas-- such perfect set-ups are rare.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.