More from Florida
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  06:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
See the Sun Sentinel for the whole story.
"The governor in our state lost the battle in the case of Terri Schiavo... Now he's picking a new battle in which he also has no legal standing."
Even better than that:
...the fundamental question remains about how a 13-year-old girl became pregnant in the state's care...
That question aside, let's assume (for the sake of argument) that Rep. John Stargel is correct, and 13-year-old wards of the State are unable to make a reasonable decision regarding abortions. Which of the following would be the least draconian policy?
  1. Abort all pregnancies in 13-year-old wards,
  2. Abort no pregnancies, and put the babies up for adoption immediately after birth,
  3. Abort no pregnancies, and make the 13-year-old mothers keep the babies, or
  4. Have a family-court judge pick one of the above three in each individual case.
Feel free to add your own ideas.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  06:51:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

See the Sun Sentinel for the whole story.
"The governor in our state lost the battle in the case of Terri Schiavo... Now he's picking a new battle in which he also has no legal standing."
Even better than that:
...the fundamental question remains about how a 13-year-old girl became pregnant in the state's care...
That question aside, let's assume (for the sake of argument) that Rep. John Stargel is correct, and 13-year-old wards of the State are unable to make a reasonable decision regarding abortions. Which of the following would be the least draconian policy?
  1. Abort all pregnancies in 13-year-old wards,
  2. Abort no pregnancies, and put the babies up for adoption immediately after birth,
  3. Abort no pregnancies, and make the 13-year-old mothers keep the babies, or
  4. Have a family-court judge pick one of the above three in each individual case.
Feel free to add your own ideas.

Least draconian, IMHO, is to abort all pregnancies in 13 year old wards (due to health issues for both mother and child).

Next comes the draconian part. You then find the person who is making these 13 year olds pregnant and nail his testicles to a tree. Then set the tree on fire and give him a hacksaw. To free himself from the burning tree, he does the math.

Should he escape. Hang him.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  08:32:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Least draconian, IMHO, is to abort all pregnancies in 13 year old wards (due to health issues for both mother and child).

Exactly what medical problems are there? I could understand a larger statistical failure of birth for younger aged women, but are there any actual problems (i.e. things that happen with younger women that don't really happen with older)?

quote:
Next comes the draconian part. You then find the person who is making these 13 year olds pregnant and nail his testicles to a tree. Then set the tree on fire and give him a hacksaw. To free himself from the burning tree, he does the math.

Remind me to never date your daughter.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 04/29/2005 08:32:44
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  09:37:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Exactly what medical problems are there? I could understand a larger statistical failure of birth for younger aged women, but are there any actual problems (i.e. things that happen with younger women that don't really happen with older)?

Higher incidence of premature births and related health issues. Higher incidence of high blood pressure and anemia for the mother.

http://www.modimes.org/professionals/681_1159.asp

quote:

quote:

Don't worry, I don't have one.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  15:11:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

One would hope that you'd not be trying to date anyone's 13y/o daughter! Wait till they are legal :P

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  17:34:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
As the father of two daughters and the grandfather of a couple more, I heartly agree with Val.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  06:47:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Higher incidence of premature births and related health issues. Higher incidence of high blood pressure and anemia for the mother.

In addition, at such young ages, I believe delivery is also an issue as the girl's hips may not yet have grown enough for a full grown baby to pass through the birth canal.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  08:13:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Not to mention developemental issues.

13 year olds are not fully grown, and a baby will tend to strip what it needs to grow from the mother. Bone demineralization, etc.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  12:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7718218/

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  13:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7718218/

All's well that ends well I suppose, although in this case, everybody's a loser, one way or another.

I find it sad that this case was dragged so relentlessly and unnecessarly through the media.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.