filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  03:39:03  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
If true, of course.
quote:
Rumsfeld offers to free Saddam during secret Iraq visit:

Jerusalem, May 01: US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld paid a secret visit to former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and offered him freedom and possible return to public life if he made a televised request to armed groups for a ceasefire with allied forces, a media report said.

And if indeed true, my respect, already beneath low, for this administration has sunk into the ooze at the bottom of the abyss.

If true, and if nothing else, it demonstrates just poorly thought out is everything that this administration does. And how big a chunk that they can't chew but are willing to bite off, anyway.

If true, if true. And if true, how much play will it get in our liberal, national media? Will Bill "Dildo" O'Reilly and Fox News(?) castigate the administration? Or even mention it? Will Limbaugh do one of his patented, OxyContin-fueled rants aimed at the duplicity behind the entire, Iraq situation? Will Ann Coulter lose yet more body mass writing inflamatory screeds aimed at the idiotcy of Bush?

No, all that ain't gonna happen, but O please, let it be true, anyway!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  04:06:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

If true, of course.
quote:

Jerusalem, May 01: US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld paid a secret visit to former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and offered him freedom and possible return to public life if he made a televised request to armed groups for a ceasefire with allied forces, a media report said.

And if indeed true, my respect, already beneath low, for this administration has sunk into the ooze at the bottom of the abyss.

I've seen the same report on several news outlets, but the "if true" looks like a pretty big if. As of yet i still haven't seen a verification by a reputable source.
As it stands, i consider the report not credible.

Although it would be kind of funny if it were true.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  04:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

If true, of course.
quote:

I've seen the same report on several news outlets, but the "if true" looks like a pretty big if. As of yet i still haven't seen a verification by a reputable source.
As it stands, i consider the report not credible.

Although it would be kind of funny if it were true.

Heh, agree.

But it's something that I wouldn't put past these clowns. Nobody want's to admit it, but we're losing our collective ass in Iraq, just as we did in 'Nam. No new government; no letup in guerrilla actions; no control over the bulk of the country. Where have I heard all this before?

And even if it were true, what difference would it make beyond yet another opportunity it ridicule the administration?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/03/2005 05:00:43
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  16:05:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
If their source were something other than "a media report", this might have some credibility. More specific info is needed.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  17:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The BBC has a few words on it at the tag end of a good article on the overall situation.
quote:
So an Arabic newspaper report that also came out on Saddam Hussein's birthday may not have been as fanciful as it seemed.

It said that on a recent visit to Baghdad, Mr Rumsfeld secretly met Saddam Hussein, and offered him a deal: his life would be spared and he could go into exile, if he made a broadcast calling for a halt to the insurgency.

Saddam Hussein's reported response: absolute rejection and a demand for an immediate American withdrawal and war reparations.

I haven't seen the report denied, though doubtless it has been. But given the situation, it would have been a logical offer to make. Stranger things have happened.

I wonder if this story will get any legs. I haven't seen anything on the blogs as yet.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  00:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

If their source were something other than "a media report", this might have some credibility. More specific info is needed.

From what i've been able to tell the report originates from the London-based daily "Al-Quds Al-Arabi". As of yet i cannot say how reliable this news-outlet is.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  03:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

An alleged transscript of this conversation can be found here: http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/05/05/Saddam_Rumsfeld.html

From the website:
quote:

We reproduce this item without any guarantees whatever to the veracity of its claim, and with certain reservations.

That kind-of says it all, really.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.