A better god?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  13:28:51  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
In 1914 Lt. Harry Colebourn, a member of the 34th Regiment of Cavalry, left his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba to join up with the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade who were shipping out to Europe. On a stopover in the town of White River, Ontario, he bought an orphaned female black bear cub, thinking it would make a nice regimental mascot. He named it Winnie in honour of his hometown and she stayed with the regiment during their training on Salisbury Plain. When the regiment was sent to the trenches of France the bear was left for safekeeping with the London Zoo. After the war Colebourn formally presented Winnie to the zoo permanently. It was here that a gentleman named A.A. Milne introduced his son, Christopher Robin, to the bear. It became a favourite of the young boy, and he even spent time inside the cage with it!

A.A. Milne was fond of telling stories to his son, and after a time wrote them down in books. He mis-identified Winnie as a polar bear in his stories, but why should we mind? His stories are now well-known and timeless classics.

Christopher Robin Milne was born on August 21, 1920. His family would often vacation at Crotchford Farm, near the town of Hartfield in East Sussex. Visitors today can even go to the bridge featured in the game of 'Pooh sticks', and visit the area called the Five Hundred Acre Wood, the inspiration for Pooh's Hundred Acre Wood. As an adult Christopher Robin became an author also, whose best known work is 'The Enchanted Places.' He died on April 20, 1996.

I'm sure I could write much more, but what would be the point? The fact is that the life and times of Winnie the Pooh and his friends is much better documented than that of any alleged 'Messiah'; there are in fact people still alive who can attest to this. My parents were both born and raised near London in the 1920's, often visited the zoo, and no doubt saw Winnie themselves. His antics, via video, have kept my 2 children quiet many times, which I can assure you is a miracle. He has brought joy to many people of differing cultures, education, races, and faiths.

So why aren't people worshipping HIM?

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  16:18:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
And I say onto thee that before the cock crows three times thy tail as a bell pull shalt be used

—parable of the wild hefalump

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  07:43:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

And I say onto thee that before the cock crows three times thy tail as a bell pull shalt be used

—parable of the wild hefalump

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.

Poohhotep! Poohhotep! Poohhotep!

Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 10/03/2001 07:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  08:32:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
quote:
His antics, via video, have kept my 2 children quiet many times, which I can assure you is a miracle. He has brought joy to many people of differing cultures, education, races, and faiths.

Which would make Tigger the Right Hand of Pooh and Defender of the Faith?

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  10:03:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

Poohhotep! Poohhotep! Poohhotep!

ROFL!

------------

And if rain brings winds of change
let it rain on us forever.
I have no doubt from what I've seen
that I have never wanted more.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  18:56:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

In 1914 Lt. Harry Colebourn, a member of the 34th Regiment of Cavalry, left his hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba to join up with the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade who were shipping out to Europe. The fact is that the life and times of Winnie the Pooh and his friends is much better documented than that of any alleged 'Messiah'; there are in fact people still alive who can attest to this. He has brought joy to many people of differing cultures, education, races, and faiths.

This must be some kind of a sign.
My mother was born in Winnigeg. I don't read much at all. But as a child, around the 6th grade I loved checking out the Winnie the Pooh stories from the school libaray, read many of them and to this day have a great affection for all the characters. I suppose in a way I have been worshiping them all this time and didn't realize it. I learned from the stories, they shaped my life, I guess like one is supposed to 'learn' from the bible.
Should we be out there ministering to the the world about this?
Waiting for another sign......
nlm

Rap Crap is to music what Paint by Numbers is to art.
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2001 :  20:32:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
quote:
He has brought joy to many people of differing cultures, education, races, and faiths.

Well basically, Pooh doesn't advocate killing the infidels. And who wants a namby pamby religion about bringing joy and smiles to children? Personally, I think if the Secular Humanists really want to win converts, we are going to have to start advocating virgin sacrifice and holy war. Of course, according to Jerry Falwell, we already do.

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  05:12:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
...we are going to have to start advocating virgin sacrifice and holy war.

This dude makes love, not war. A virgin sacrifice?!?! I could go for that...that and freakin' huge parties that last forever and the only compensation needed is just $30 to get in the door.

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.