New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Bad Astronomer
Skeptic Friend

137 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  21:57:05  Show Profile  Visit The Bad Astronomer's Homepage Send The Bad Astronomer a Private Message
I can hardly believe what I read on the CNN website. First, Falwell openly and unmistakably blames gays in part for the attacks on the WTC (from http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/14/Falwell.apology/index.html): "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

He goes on to explain that by secularizing America, they have removed a blanket of protection God has afforded the United States. As if this is not bizarre enough, he then backpedals: "Falwell told CNN: 'I would never blame any human being except the Terrorists, and if I left that impression with gays or lesbians or anyone else, I apologize.'"

If he left that impression? I never liked him before this, to say the very least, but now... yikes. What a foul creature he is.

The Bad Astronomer
http://www.badastronomy.com
"With tremendous respect to [the] BA, the problem isn't getting scientists to talk, the problem can be getting them to shut up."

rubysue
Skeptic Friend

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  22:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rubysue a Private Message
BA: Falwell is a complete idiot who deserves the same fate as our dear buddy Osama bin Laden. This tripe is unbelievable and should qualify as a hate crime against so many Americans who are doing all they can to recover from this horror.

This statement by this foul bastard made me as sick as the pronouncements from some lovely Islamic clerics in Iraq and Afghanistan who lauded the deaths of innocent Americans as perfect justification for our "evil" existence.

Ain't life a bitch in the early 21st Century?

rubysue

If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.

Edited by - rubysue on 09/15/2001 11:39:32
Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  23:02:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
jeeezus, what else would you expect from jerry fawell?

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2001 :  23:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
After the terrorist attacks themselves this has to be the most offensive thing I have seen! I am suddenly speechless.

I take that back after reading this.

Robertson, Falwell: U.S. Vulnerable

This is the crap that gets us where we are now. No Jerry it's people like YOU that caused this!!! I wish you and your hate mongering buddies were in one of those towers getting closer to god and that now the only way we'd hear from you would be vicariously on Crossing Over with John Edwards(who I also wish was there with them).

@tomic

PS. Bleh!!

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  02:14:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hook a Private Message
I think I'm speechless. It doesn't surprize me from these two, but I always try to think that somewhere inside everyone is some ounce a rationality. Silly me.

Maybe Robertson can interview Bin Lauden and congratulate him for carrying out God's work.

Uh oh, better go. I feel a flame coming on ===8^(______________)

(P-)>

Go to Top of Page

EnderNow1

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  04:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send EnderNow1 an AOL message Send EnderNow1 a Private Message
Actually it was Pat Robertson that released the four page document and Falwell agreed with it. The remarks they made are making my stomach turn.

It's a magical world out there, let's go exploring!
Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  05:30:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
What those two realy want is a theocracy. A government where the law and religious teachings are one and the same, so everyone has to obey. So let's give it to him! Send him over to Afganistan, they got it all set up, just how he would like it!

(oops, except for that little bit about which god is followed, but I'm sure that's a minor point )

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  05:40:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
This hideous episode confirms a post-attack statement I made to my father (who happens to be a retired minister) that there are fanatics in this country I fear as much as the Muslim version.

Here is a very good commentary by a New Zealand columnist. Thank goodness there's still some sanity in the world.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=216982&thesection=news&thesubsection=general&reportID=53510

To me, this article reads like an earlier wake-up call you may have heard of -- Thomas Paine's "Common Sense". Maybe it's time to start a "Moratorium On God" movement.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  05:59:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
This one has me riled up. I sent the following email to the Falwell web site (Falwell.com):

"Your misguided remarks reveal a level of hate and intolerance on a par with that of the terrorists themselves.

"I suggest that you undertake to atone for your unforgivable blunder by accepting a Christian mission to some underdeveloped part of the world. Afghanistan springs to mind."

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Greg
Skeptic Friend

USA
281 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  06:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Greg an AOL message Send Greg a Private Message
Have you all noticed the somewhat veiled, self-fulfilling prophecies in the artical that @tomic posted. The parts about "God lifting the curtain" and "God lifting His protection". Dammit, this is no different than any cheap self-serving psychic would do. The statement is both an "I told you so" and a "watch the carnage to follow", which of course is highly probable over the next couple of years. Their followers then will believe that they have some power of divine prophecy - it makes me sick.

Greg.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  10:27:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
The WTC is rubble. Many deaths. So far, their God is winning. Our nations God, if all powerful, let this happen. Falwell was attempting to offer an explanation for this. Could it be that he had to come up with something, no matter how vile, in order to not have to question his own faith?

What surprising to me is how all of these people are not questioning their faith right now, all things considered.

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  11:27:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
But what an idiotic remark to make! He could have really made hay and he blew it. How much more difficult is "My heartfelt sorrow and compassion go out to all victims and their families". And a nice fat check to the Red Cross wouldn't hurt, either.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

comradebillyboy
Skeptic Friend

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2001 :  14:52:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send comradebillyboy a Private Message
i don't see much difference between one brand of fundi and another. i think fawell and robertson have more in common with the taliban than with the average american.

comrade billyboy
Go to Top of Page

EnderNow1

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  00:23:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send EnderNow1 an AOL message Send EnderNow1 a Private Message
The only difference between Falwell and the Taliban is who their hate is directed at.

It's a magical world out there, let's go exploring!
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  07:20:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

The only difference between Falwell and the Taliban is who their hate is directed at.

....and their funding and their weapons and a whole other bunch of crap...but yeah, you're right. They're basically the same, when it comes right down to it.

Scary thought: What if they are the same?

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.

Edited by - James on 09/16/2001 07:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  11:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
quote:

Let's see. Jerry Falwell hates gays, liberals, agnostics, atheists, secular humanists, anyone who doesn't share his religious views, a secular America.

The Taliban hate...ummm...gays, liberals, agnostics, atheists, secular humanists, anyone who doesn't share their religious views, a secular America.

OK. I give up. Exactly what is the difference here?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.