Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:34:26  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Any of you see it? Did you like it?

I liked the movie for the most part...I though a few scenes were unfinished and kinda of shoved in, but overall it was worth it. Zaphod and Marvin stole the show.

I wish they had added the Guide entry about how the babelfish is used as the proof of the non-existence of god....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:18:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I liked the movie for the most part...I though a few scenes were unfinished and kinda of shoved in, but overall it was worth it. Zaphod and Marvin stole the show.

I wish they had added the Guide entry about how the babelfish is used as the proof of the non-existence of god....

Asking too much. Hollywood fears that they might offend some humorless believer. Who ever said such a thing on screen would have to die justly and horribly, later in the flick to keep the devout panties untwisted.

I've been a Hitchiker since the first novel -- ah Doug, how we miss ya!

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes out on DVD, and would like to read some reports on it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  08:28:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I also am a diehard Adams fan, having read all of his books (including the non HG books) many times.

IMHO, the movie was a good attempt at putting to film that which I didn't think would translate well. While it has some rough spots, overall it was quite enjoyable.

I would like to think they would continue the trilogy with The Restaurant at the End of the Universe...the movie cost 45 mil to make. The first weekend it brought in 21 million.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  09:55:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
It wasn't to bad. They just didn't capture the real essence of Adam's humor in some places though. In his books there is amazing byplay between the characters, and the dialogue leaves you in stitches.

But there is no way they could really fit it all into a 2hour movie, I guess.

Not to be to harsh on the movie. It was enjoyable overall, and they did alot of things right. The Guide scenes are awesome.

The biggest problem I had with the movie is, as I said, the characterizations. Zaphod isn't supposed to be so stupid, he's supposed to be too cool to care. The way they did his heads was pretty amusing though, a vast improvement over the old TV show. Arthur is a little too agressive, and they add some dumb-ass romance between Arthur and Trillian and Zaphod.

Overall it is worth seeing. I suspect I am just being overly fannish and critical.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  11:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

...and they add some dumb-ass romance between Arthur and Trillian and Zaphod.
Well, there was a hint of that in the original BBC radio broadcasts.

When Arthur is getting introduced to Zaphod, it turns out they'd met before. At a party, Arthur was chatting up Trisha McMillan (later known as Trillian), when Zaphod, "with only two arms, just the one head, and calling himself Phil" swooped in with some smooth talk about being an alien and stole her away from Arthur. Arthur was still rather bitter about it.

Now, considering that some stuff from the original broadcasts got cut out in the first American radio broadcasts, only to later show up again - expanded - in the books, the TV show, or the albums, it would be completely "in character" for the entire series for this "romance" to pop up in the movie and become more than it was.

(Boy, talk about fannish...)

But I haven't seen the movie yet.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  11:30:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

It wasn't to bad. They just didn't capture the real essence of Adam's humor in some places though. In his books there is amazing byplay between the characters, and the dialogue leaves you in stitches.

But there is no way they could really fit it all into a 2hour movie, I guess.

Not to be to harsh on the movie. It was enjoyable overall, and they did alot of things right. The Guide scenes are awesome.

The biggest problem I had with the movie is, as I said, the characterizations. Zaphod isn't supposed to be so stupid, he's supposed to be too cool to care. The way they did his heads was pretty amusing though, a vast improvement over the old TV show. Arthur is a little too agressive, and they add some dumb-ass romance between Arthur and Trillian and Zaphod.

Overall it is worth seeing. I suspect I am just being overly fannish and critical.

I too thought the romance part and Arthur's "heroism" was a little out of place...but I defer since I've heard that most of the screen play was written by Douglas Adams before he died.

Personally I thought Zaphod (played by Sam Rockwell) did come off as a bit zany, but basically that he was totally enamored with himself as to not pay attention to what was going on around him (don't want to give too much away).

Marvin (voiced by Alan Rickman) was perfect.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  12:06:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
but I defer since I've heard that most of the screen play was written by Douglas Adams before he died.

Adams wrote a rough draft of the screenplay. Some other person who I have never heard of before wrote the final draft.

Again, it is worth seeing. Just with any movie adaptation of a book there will be some things that please, and some that don't.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  13:20:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I have the tapes of the TV show. They're pretty funky and try to cover the entire trilogy (snicker) but still are among my favorites.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  14:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
I have fond memories of reading the trilogy (I must admit though that I found the fourth book too annoying, and quit halfway through). I haven't seen the movie, but some people seem less than fond of it, especially this guy. And alledgedly, they've cut out my favorite (and oh so profound) quote from the book: "The ships hung in the air, the exact same way that bricks don't". What a shame.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  18:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
From the original scripts:
ARTHUR: At this party there was a girl. I'd had my eye on her for weeks... beautiful, chamring, devestatingly intelligent, everything I'd been saving myself up for, and just when I'd finally managed to get her for myself for a few tender moments this friend of yours barges up and says 'Hey doll, is this guy boring you, come and talk to me, I'm from a different planet'. I never saw her again.

FORD: Zaphod?

ARTHUR: Yes, he only had the two arms and the one head and he called himself Phil, but...

F/X: DOOR OPENS

TRILLIAN: ...but you have to admit that he did actually turn out to be from a different planet, Arthur.

ARTHUR: Good God, it's her! Tricia McMillan, what are you doing here?
A note at the end of that episode:
The line about [Zaphod's] extra head was put in as a little extra throwaway joke which was to cause enormous headaches (sic) when the show transferred to television. The extra head cost about twice as much as Mark [Wing-Davey] himself (though he thinks that was fair enough becase it gave a better performance than he did!) In fact much of the time the head didn't function properly and used to loll on his shoulder looking up at him, often ending up being operated by a man with his hand up Mark's back.
Oh, and I love this exchange from early in that episode:
ARTHUR: You know, it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.

FORD: Why, what did she tell you?

ARTHUR: I don't know, I didn't listen.
Did they keep that in the film?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  23:15:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

From the original scripts:
ARTHUR: At this party there was a girl. I'd had my eye on her for weeks... beautiful, chamring, devestatingly intelligent, everything I'd been saving myself up for, and just when I'd finally managed to get her for myself for a few tender moments this friend of yours barges up and says 'Hey doll, is this guy boring you, come and talk to me, I'm from a different planet'. I never saw her again.

FORD: Zaphod?

ARTHUR: Yes, he only had the two arms and the one head and he called himself Phil, but...

F/X: DOOR OPENS

TRILLIAN: ...but you have to admit that he did actually turn out to be from a different planet, Arthur.

ARTHUR: Good God, it's her! Tricia McMillan, what are you doing here?
A note at the end of that episode:
The line about [Zaphod's] extra head was put in as a little extra throwaway joke which was to cause enormous headaches (sic) when the show transferred to television. The extra head cost about twice as much as Mark [Wing-Davey] himself (though he thinks that was fair enough becase it gave a better performance than he did!) In fact much of the time the head didn't function properly and used to loll on his shoulder looking up at him, often ending up being operated by a man with his hand up Mark's back.
Oh, and I love this exchange from early in that episode:
ARTHUR: You know, it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.

FORD: Why, what did she tell you?

ARTHUR: I don't know, I didn't listen.
Did they keep that in the film?
If they didn't, it's a damned shame.

Zaphod's extra head was something of a tack-on, and the rubber-suited Vogon shouter was kinda hokey, but that was part of the fun of it. The show made you work just a little to suspend your belief and accept it. And you had to pay attention lest some of Adams' better gags slip by you.

And now, I'm off the Milliway's. I've a reservation for breakfast....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:06:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Nope sorry, While I found the movie entertaining and humorous, All of the laughs are new laughs, I felt all of the book jokes were totally blown or non-existant.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

questionit

21 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:25:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send questionit a Private Message
It was fun, but not very funny. Galaxy Quest was much better, and is it just me or was a lot of the potentially funny dialogue hard to hear?
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Just as I suspected. I've stumbled onto a board filled with sci-fi geeks.

Wake me up when y'all discuss a real movie.

Love,

Renae, who probably won't even rent "Hitchiker's Guide" on DVD, who never played D&D, who thinks Star Wars and LOTR are cinematic torture

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I saw it last weekend and for some inexplicable reason my wife and I both fell asleep in the theater. It had been a long day, I guess. I missed probably 25 minutes up to the last scene or two. I did enjoy what I saw, however. . . . I thought it was really well done.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  06:02:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Renae, who probably won't even rent "Hitchiker's Guide" on DVD, who never played D&D, who thinks Star Wars and LOTR are cinematic torture

Wow, the SFN's 2nd ban ever.

To those zealous fans, as I understand it, DA made changes with every new medium he ventured into. It is certainly the way with the comics and books. So long as it's a reasonable interpretation, I'm happy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.