Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  07:41:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Wake me up when y'all discuss a real movie.
Go ahead and start a thread about Ishtar, we'll see how it flies.
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

To those zealous fans, as I understand it, DA made changes with every new medium he ventured into.
He made changes day-by-day while the original radio show was being taped. According to notes in the original scripts, a few days before the third episode was supposed to tape, Adams had only eight pages of script for it. When the day of taping came, he was down to only six. On a regular basis, he'd sit in a sound booth and type away furiously while the actors were working on the parts of the script he'd "finished" by then. There are several notes in various episodes about activities the actors, technicians and producers would engage in while "waiting for Douglas to hand out another page of script."

And, as explained in yet another note, 28-and-a-half minutes isn't a magical time which an author can work to, so even the very first production is different from the original scripts as collected in the volume I've got on my shelf, due to on-the-fly cuts for timing (and pacing). With help from the notes there, we can say that these versions of the story (or stories) exist, in chronological order of creation:
  1. The original scripts
  2. The BBC 4 Radio broadcast
  3. The BBC World Service broadcast
  4. The BBC Transcription Service discs
  5. The TV series
  6. The 10" LP records
  7. The books
  8. And now, the movie
They are all different.

A real H2G2 geek will have experienced all of these different versions. I've only got five under my belt, and I'll bump it to six when I see the movie.

But wait, there's more! As I discovered last night in chat, ZBS media (a group I've been aware of since my teens) has some H2G2 products on CD. The Original BBC Version (I suspect this only has the first six episodes, though), The Collector's Edition (I need to get this one), and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Tertiary Phase, which is a BBC Radio dramatization of the third book, Life, the Universe and Everything. So this last item probably makes the ninth version on the market.

So yeah, anyone looking for consistency across versions of the H2G2 stuff is actually not enough of a fan to really understand the whole genre.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  09:06:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Cool! Thanks for the info...I'll have to check that out.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  09:09:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Just as I suspected. I've stumbled onto a board filled with sci-fi geeks.

Love,

Renae, who probably won't even rent "Hitchiker's Guide" on DVD, who never played D&D, who thinks Star Wars and LOTR are cinematic torture

Heresy most foul! Oh, the humanity! Call out the Brute Squad at once!

Oh, wait... Wrong book/movie. Fuck it! Call 'em out anyway!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  10:28:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Just as I suspected. I've stumbled onto a board filled with sci-fi geeks.

Love,

Renae, who probably won't even rent "Hitchiker's Guide" on DVD, who never played D&D, who thinks Star Wars and LOTR are cinematic torture

Well, I don't suppose this will matter to you Renea, but some of the best science fiction is often intended as commentary on the human condition. Certainly, that is the case with “Hitchhiker's Guide”. There are authors like Kurt Vonnegut who often employ the use of science fiction as a means of demonstrating human frailty and folly. I think that is one of the reasons why skeptics and serious lovers of science are often attracted to science fiction and fantasy. It is sometimes a fine literary device to remove a plausible reality from a story line for the purpose of shedding a brighter light on our condition in the real world. The bonus is that while there may be a very serious subtext to these stories, they are often fun and funny. The best of them are great literature. If you doubt me, check out Kafka (waking up as a cockroach) sometime. Or, just about anything by H.G. Wells.

And Dave, what is wrong with Ishtar?

Edited to add: By the way, my screen name is very short for Kilgore Trout. He was Kurt Vonnegut's fictional science fiction writer and alter ego in many of his books.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  10:51:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I challenge you to quote the words I used to say that anything is "wrong with Ishtar."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  10:52:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I challenge you to quote the words I used to say that anything is "wrong with Ishtar."

Whew!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  13:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Ok. After a second viewing of this movie, I have to say that overall I am disappointed.

Not because of changes made to the story, omissions and additions. Not because of character changes or even the actors playing the characters.

But because it just lacked the humor of Adams.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  13:56:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Ok. After a second viewing of this movie, I have to say that overall I am disappointed.

Not because of changes made to the story, omissions and additions. Not because of character changes or even the actors playing the characters.

But because it just lacked the humor of Adams.

I do not think that any medium can do real justice to the rich, off-the-wall humor that seemed to be such a complete part of Adam's too-short life.

I ready myself for similiar disappointment, but look forward to a good story (I hope).

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  16:58:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
I haven't ssen it yet, but there a very, very few English Comedy's that Americans do well.....well none I can think of now!!!!

Try to think of an American version of Life of Brian, The Holy Grail or The Young Ones

Apparently Rosanne Barr bought the rights for Ab Fab, but wasn't allowed to show the sex or drug taking on American TV....so that put an end to that...

What is it with the FCC? You can to show violence, but a boob or someone smoking a joint is taboo????

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  17:52:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gezzam
Try to think of an American version of Life of Brian, The Holy Grail or The Young Ones
The American version of Fawlty Towers fell flat on it's face.
It aired in Sweden, but the only thing I remember from it was burning a bloody stake as a sacrifice because a spider got squished.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  19:55:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It's been ages since I read the books, and I probably won't see the movie until it's out on DVD.

So someone tell me, do the Birdpeople of Brontitall show up in the movie? Or even the books? They're in episode 10 of the original radio show. Adams had this wonderful F/X note in there, too (don't forget - radio):
THICK SWIRLING SMOKE. A FEW VAGUE LIGHTS VISIBLE AND SOME MENACING BUT ILL DEFINED SHAPES. THIS IS SIGNALLED BY A FEW COUGHS FROM ARTHUR, WHO IS PLAYED BY A REMARKABLY TALENTED AND ABLE ACTOR.
It's a pity such notes didn't get out through the radio.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  19:02:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Love,

Then might I tempt you with this piece of cinematic-coming-at-some-stage-event:

They are making Red Dwarf - The movie!!!!

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
I haven't seen the H2G2 movie yet, but one thing I got from the reviews:

Marvin looks an awful lot like Pintsize from Questionable Content

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  19:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

I haven't seen the H2G2 movie yet, but one thing I got from the reviews:

Marvin looks an awful lot like Pintsize from Questionable Content

Gotta love Questionable Content...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  21:05:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Okay. My wife and I just finished watching the movie. We concur that we hope that if Douglas Adams were alive today, he'd be saying "What the fuck?"

[Comic-Book Guy]

I was on the Internet in minutes, voicing my displeasure. Worst... adaptation... ever.

[/Comic-Book Guy]

Really, the movie looked fine, and if you'd never known Hitchhiker's Guide in any of its various forms, you'd probably have a fine time watching this film. But the only main characters they got anywhere near correct were with Arthur, Marvin, and the damn Book. Period. People earlier in this thread got it right: Zaphod wasn't an idiot. Trillian should reek of self-confidence and intelligence. Ford was never such a wimp.

Hell, John Malkovich's character in this movie was completely unnecessary. Even just considering the movie all by itself, he wasn't needed (which is probably why he's only got 5 minutes of screen time). Better scenarios could have (and should have) been created to whisk our heroes off into space. I wrote better thought-out fiction in junior high school.

On the positive side, the dolphin's musical number was good. Oh, and we liked the point-of-view gun, though it did seem to be a rip-off of the blame gun in Mystery Men.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.