General Skepticism
 Skeptic careers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jjwagg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  06:12:53  Show Profile  Visit jjwagg's Homepage Send jjwagg a Private Message
So, here I am. I'm 38, made lots of money in the Internet boom, and I'm looking to do something with my life. The only thing that consistently fires me up is skepticism, and I've been spending my time going to JREF and CSICOP conventions. Is there a way to turn this into a career?

I'm enrolled in a Masters program at UVM (Mental Health Counseling), but it's not working out. The postmodernism is driving me batty.

I've considered trying to get into a Ph.D Psychology program somewhere, but I have to live in Vermont for family reasons.

I've thought of starting my own skeptics organization, but that seems counterproductive. I belive it would be better to support existing organizations.

I'm honestly looking for ideas. Have any?

Jeffrey J Wagg

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  07:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Hello jjwagg and welcome to Skeptic Friends Network!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  07:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Hi, jjwag. This is a hard question, as there's no such career as just "skeptic" (unlike, say, minister or some such). In addition, the skeptic community is rather small. And of you make the rough equation that skeptic=atheist/agnostic, then you have to imagine that only 10% of the country buys into it. Of course, if you posit that there are belivers who nevertheless are vocal skeptics about, say, hoaky medicine, UFOs, ESP, etc., that number is still going to be low.

Still, there have to be some possibilities. What about publishing? I think there already is a publisher that specializes in books on skepticism. Perhaps getting involved in something like that would work (a list of some possibilities might be here (hey Dave, @tomic or Kil-- why aren'y we listed among the skepticism websites??)).
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I say start a youth orginization with the goal of teaching kids how to think critically. (without fundie mom realizing it of course)...hmm

Edit: Call it Amature Critical Thinkers, ACT

Or a secret organization bent on piting religions against each other, muhahahaha.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 05/10/2005 10:49:44
Go to Top of Page

jjwagg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  12:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jjwagg's Homepage Send jjwagg a Private Message
Dr. Mabuse - thanks for the welcome. I have an old Propaganda album somehwere that has a track called "Dr. Mabuse." It goes something like "The man without the shadow promises you the world. Tell him your dreams."

Publishing. Yes, I like that idea, but I must have something to say and a perspective to say it from. Not so easy.

Youth organization. I do very much like the idea of incoroporating magic and critical thinking into a course. I envision it as a summer camp type of thing. I'll keep thinking about that.

Thanks! I'll be at the Skeptics Conference in Pasadena this weekend, and I'll be asking the same question there.

Jeffrey J Wagg
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  14:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jjwagg

Dr. Mabuse - thanks for the welcome. I have an old Propaganda album somehwere that has a track called "Dr. Mabuse." It goes something like "The man without the shadow promises you the world. Tell him your dreams."
Well, you're right on the spot. In this post I'm exposing the secret behind my username. Check out the entire thread if you're wondering about the rest of us.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  16:38:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Publishing. Yes, I like that idea, but I must have something to say and a perspective to say it from. Not so easy.
Well, you don't have to publish-- you could be the publisher! This might require lots of money, but that's what loans and business ventures are for. You'd of course have a staff of editors who know about the fields you'd publish (e.g. doctors, biologists, astronomers, assyriologists, etc.) and then go looking for some young scholar to critique, say, quack medicine, or ID, or New Age this-or-that. It might work!
Go to Top of Page

jjwagg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:19:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jjwagg's Homepage Send jjwagg a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Hi, jjwag. This is a hard question, as there's no such career as just "skeptic" (unlike, say, minister or some such).

Well, you nailed it. I want to be a Skeptic minister, which is an oxymoron I suppose.

Jeffrey J Wagg
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Anything that could help teach kids about critical thinking.

Avoid areas that are populated by alot of religious fundamentalists, as anything that enables people to think for themselves might get you stoned or shot in those places.

I do truly think that there is a serious gap in our public education system when it comes to basic problem solving skills that a grasp of critical thinking will give.

And welcome to the SFN.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

jjwagg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jjwagg's Homepage Send jjwagg a Private Message
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by jjwagg
Well, you don't have to publish-- you could be the publisher! This might require lots of money, but that's what loans and business ventures are for. You'd of course have a staff of editors who know about the fields you'd publish (e.g. doctors, biologists, astronomers, assyriologists, etc.) and then go looking for some young scholar to critique, say, quack medicine, or ID, or New Age this-or-that. It might work!

Now that's an intersting idea. I'll have to give that some serious thought. There is a demand for this stuff. Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God" tape that I bought from the Skeptics Society has been loaned and watched at least a dozen times since I bought it a little over a year ago. Penn Teller's Bullshit! is doing very well. Maybe the world could another publisher. Hmmm...

Jeffrey J Wagg
Go to Top of Page

jjwagg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:27:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jjwagg's Homepage Send jjwagg a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Anything that could help teach kids about critical thinking.

Avoid areas that are populated by alot of religious fundamentalists, as anything that enables people to think for themselves might get you stoned or shot in those places.

I do truly think that there is a serious gap in our public education system when it comes to basic problem solving skills that a grasp of critical thinking will give.

And welcome to the SFN.

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Vermont, which is one of the least religious parts of the country. In fact, that's WHY I live here. Critical Thinking is a (n oft misunderstood) buzzword these days, and if I approached schools with a fun (magic tricks) approach, they might let me in the door. I know a guy who does science demonstrations in all the local schools..I could ask him how he got in the door. (Though it's hard to compete with a guy who makes 3 foot bolts of 500,000 volt lightning come out of a machine run by 4 AA batteries.)

Jeffrey J Wagg
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:35:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
(Though it's hard to compete with a guy who makes 3 foot bolts of 500,000 volt lightning come out of a machine run by 4 AA batteries.)

Hehe! Yeah, I imagine so.

I'm not sure what would be the best age to target real critical thinking skills to. Maybe atleast 14? Some of the concepts can be difficult to wrap your head around, especially the logic.

It would be a major accomplishment to get critical thinking skills included as mandatory education.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  17:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
After giving this some thought, jjwagg, if you've got money to burn, one "career" might be to facilitate the appearance of skeptics and/or science lecturers at your local public schools, libraries, skeptics' clubs, colleges and universities. To act as a middle-man between the "venue" and the skeptic, and to help out by buying airline tickets, arranging lodging, and/or paying at least some of the usual honorarium. Etc.

It's not so much a career as a highly charitable hobby, but it would help promote your (and our) ideals immensely.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  17:56:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Vermont, which is one of the least religious parts of the country. In fact, that's WHY I live here. Critical Thinking is a (n oft misunderstood) buzzword these days, and if I approached schools with a fun (magic tricks) approach, they might let me in the door. I know a guy who does science demonstrations in all the local schools..I could ask him how he got in the door. (Though it's hard to compete with a guy who makes 3 foot bolts of 500,000 volt lightning come out of a machine run by 4 AA batteries.)

Actually, a magic show done right would be a wonderful way to demonstrate critical thinking. Spoon bending anyone?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  19:25:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
(a list of some possibilities might be here (hey Dave, @tomic or Kil-- why aren'y we listed among the skepticism websites??)).

We are now...

http://skeptic.ws/

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.