Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  12:20:27  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
Anyone interested in artificial life? I've always been fascinated by AL ever since I played the game 'creatures', maybe its because I want to play God or something, but it was really fascinating to breed those little things and they were really quite well designed, they had genes (which could mutate during breeding), body chemicals, neural nets etc.
For most kids i guess the fun was to treat these things as pets and perhaps breed a funny colour creature. but I didnt really care how they looked and just left them to run wild and let natural selection run its course. And I wasn't the only one. Special breeding programs were created by net enthusiasts which actually 'exported' weak creatures from the habitat at certain intervals. Soon though thhis became dull as the program was glitchy and despite lots of fun variations, no true speciation could ever occur.

Having just finished a BSc in AI though I'm finding it pretty hard to find any jobs relating to Artifical intelligence and NONE relating to artificial life (i'm guessing work in the field is almost totally research). Even if i were to get into AL as a hobby I can't find anything on the net that would allow me to experiment with it. Short of writing my own programs and stuff, which to be honest is pretty beyond me.

Are a few kids games really it when it comes to artificial life in your own home?

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15

Edited by - Dik-Dik Van Dik on 05/14/2005 12:26:59

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  15:19:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Many games employ AI to guide opponents, so my first thought is that developing AI for game programming companies would be a possible career. I daydream sometimes about learning how AI and neural networking is made. But my time is too short, there are so many other projects... I wish I was independently wealthy, so I could spend all my time doing cool things instead of slaving at Ericsson Mobile Communications for my salary.

Developing control-programs with AI for exploring drones and similar for Moon and Mars would be cool. Or perhaps for controlling prosthetics. A guy I know lost both his arms in an accident, one at the shoulder, the other one just above the elbow. He would benefit from a prosthetic smart enough to "guess" what he want it to do.
Prosthetics have evolved much the last decades, thanks to new materials and robotics.

(Edit: grammar or something)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/14/2005 15:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Dik-Dik Van Dik
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  15:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dik-Dik Van Dik a Private Message
True that artificial intelligence has many uses and applications. But artificial LIFE seems like one of those branches of research that is fascinating but not lucrative..

If you're really interested in neural nets, its really not that complex, i did my dissertation/project on voice-print I.D using neural nets. Managed to get about 92% accuracy using a simple perceptron.

If you wanna mess with them, i'd use a program like matlab. Its got a NN toolbox and lots of nice built in things so you don't have to write a function for every little thing you wanna do.

DARWIN 3:16
"The simple believeth every word." - Proverbs 14:15
Edited by - Dik-Dik Van Dik on 05/14/2005 15:39:34
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  12:46:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dik-Dik Van Dik

True that artificial intelligence has many uses and applications. But artificial LIFE seems like one of those branches of research that is fascinating but not lucrative..

If you're really interested in neural nets, its really not that complex, i did my dissertation/project on voice-print I.D using neural nets. Managed to get about 92% accuracy using a simple perceptron.

If you wanna mess with them, i'd use a program like matlab. Its got a NN toolbox and lots of nice built in things so you don't have to write a function for every little thing you wanna do.

Artificial life doesn't seem lucrative at the moment, indeed. I do foresee a time when it may become so, but that's probably a long time in the future. Nevertheless, cool stuff like this (.wmv) fills me with hope (movie from this webpage).

I've never played "creatures" but it sounds interesting. I've always found the field of artificial life fascinating, but i never really pursued that interest. All i know about the subject comes from a popular book by Chris Langton (which i highly recommend to anyone interested in the subject).

I've given some thought on a few projects i could try for myself, even with my minimal programming experience, but i just have to find the time to do it. Also, i really don't know computers or mathematics, so that hardly helps as well. Ah, if only there were 48 hours in each day :(
Go to Top of Page

latsot
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  01:21:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit latsot's Homepage  Send latsot a Yahoo! Message Send latsot a Private Message
quote:
Even if i were to get into AL as a hobby I can't find anything on the net that would allow me to experiment with it. Short of writing my own programs and stuff, which to be honest is pretty beyond me.

There are quite a few alife resources about the place with software to download. For example:

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/t.quick/alife.html
http://www.alife.net/
http://black.hollygo7.co.uk/dysturbwiki/index.php/Software

However, I would encourage you to develop your programming skills if you want to play with alife. You really just need to build your confidence through practice. There are plenty of books and web resources out there to get you started. I have a few books covering artificial life left over from when I did some work in the field about a decade ago. When I get chance, I'll dig out some references.

As for jobs, you are probably right that they are mostly research-based. There certainly is some alife stuff going on in games development - for example, in squad-based games (how do you make the squad move realistically?) and in large-scale battle-based games (how do teams form, split, reform etc?)

For a similar reason, there is work in alife going on in the military for training purposes and simulation.

Alife has also been proposed for a number of more real-world applications such as in telecoms (optimisation etc.)

The major downside of alife is similar to that of neural nets. Would you trust a system that works because of emergent behaviour that you can't analyse? Who can you blame if your system does something stupid or dangerous? How would you do due diligence on a system like this?

The problem is more of a legal one than a technical one - those of us working in software know better than to trust *any software whatsoever* anyway. But it is partly incidental practical considerations like this that have prevented wider adoption of AI techniques in mainstream applications.

Hope this helps

r
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  09:26:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Artificial intelligence/life is one of the reasons why I'm on college, majoring in Computer Science... actually, it IS the only reason.

All I can think, though, for some research that is also fun, is game development. Sure, AI has lots of uses, but for ALife, I'd think games. I loved the game Creatures, though I played it but briefly

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  10:21:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I've always been fascinated by AL ever since I played the game 'creatures', maybe its because I want to play God or something, but it was really fascinating to breed those little things and they were really quite well designed, they had genes (which could mutate during breeding), body chemicals, neural nets etc.

Framesticks is another good evolution simulation. Although I never could get anything interesting out of it, my biology teacher seemed to do it with ease.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/04/2005 10:23:16
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  10:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
Gene Pool is an facinating A-Life program which demonstrates the effects of sexual selection.

Here's the main page of the site. It's good stuff.
Go to Top of Page

latsot
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  08:05:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit latsot's Homepage  Send latsot a Yahoo! Message Send latsot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dv82matt

Gene Pool is an facinating A-Life program which demonstrates the effects of sexual selection.

Here's the main page of the site. It's good stuff.

Can you simulate the effects of sexual selection? Im not sure this program does. Interesting, though.

Cheers

r
Go to Top of Page

latsot
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit latsot's Homepage  Send latsot a Yahoo! Message Send latsot a Private Message
Hey Ricky - completely off-topic but good to run into you on another forum. Hi.
r
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  21:32:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latsot

Can you simulate the effects of sexual selection? Im not sure this program does. Interesting, though.
I think that it does simulate the effects of sexual selection (or maybe just something similar to it. There is only one sex after all.), but I should mention that I was actually more impressed with Version 3 of Gene Pool in that it starts out with randomly assembled organisms (as opposed to Version 4 which starts out with predesigned organisms which then appear to de-evolve) which then evolve based on fitness (the ability to efficiently get food bits and chase after mates) and attractiveness (the ability to attract a mate.)

Anyway if you're interested I'd recomend giving Version 3 a whirl.
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  22:42:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message
I remember 'Creatures.' I thought I was the only person who actually had that. Thanks for the nostalgia...

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

latsot
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  06:50:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit latsot's Homepage  Send latsot a Yahoo! Message Send latsot a Private Message
quote:
I think that it does simulate the effects of sexual selection (or maybe just something similar to it. There is only one sex after all.)

How could you have sexual selection with only one sex?

quote:
but I should mention that I was actually more impressed with Version 3 of Gene Pool in that it starts out with randomly assembled organisms (as opposed to Version 4 which starts out with predesigned organisms which then appear to de-evolve) which then evolve based on fitness (the ability to efficiently get food bits and chase after mates) and attractiveness (the ability to attract a mate.)

Im a bit worried about the word 'de-evolve'...

Cheers

r
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  11:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

Different sexes are not required for meiosis to occur. Sexual reproduction, in its simplest form, is nothing more than the joining of two hapliod nuclei (formed by meiosis) into a diploid nuclei.

The sexual reproductive phase of yeast, and other Ascomycota, are an example of this.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

latsot
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  00:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit latsot's Homepage  Send latsot a Yahoo! Message Send latsot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

Different sexes are not required for meiosis to occur. Sexual reproduction, in its simplest form, is nothing more than the joining of two hapliod nuclei (formed by meiosis) into a diploid nuclei.

The sexual reproductive phase of yeast, and other Ascomycota, are an example of this.

Yes....but can you explain how sexual *selection* could occur with only one sex?

Sexual selection happens when traits in one sex of a species are (for some reason - lets not open that can of worms for the moment) desirable to the other sex. These traits are selected because the opposite sex finds them desirable in a mate: they will therefore tend to choose mates with those traits, resulting in the propagation of those genes throughout the gene pool

The most-cited example is the peacock's tail. It doesn't seem to have any particular purpose other than to be attractive to peahens. If for some reason peahens happen to like big tails with eye-patterns, they will be more likely to mate with the individuals that possess this trait - a clear case of selection.

There is a lot more to the theory of course - we have to ask at some point why peahens happen to like peacocks with fancy tails and we have to consider the evolutionary arms races that can occur between the species (the genes causing peahens to prefer fancy tails will also propagate, for example). In fact, sexual selection asks (and provides some answers for) some of the deepest questions in evolutionary science.

Darwin considered sexual selection to be exceedingly important (he wrote a book about it) and it is often known as "Darwin's other theory". Sexual selection arguments have been convincingly proposed to explain all kinds of things - why humans have little body hair, the evolution of human intelligence and many others.

I'm just having trouble understanding how sexual selection could occur without sexes.

Cheers

r
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  04:26:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latsot

I'm just having trouble understanding how sexual selection could occur without sexes.
Easy: you have a trait which makes you "hot" to all the other individuals. If a trait makes individuals prefer to mate with only those carrying that trait, it doesn't matter if there's only one sex, two sexes or 17 sexes, it'll be selected for based on mating habits, and perhaps nothing else.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.