Creationism in the Netherlands
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  14:50:58  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Every once in a while creationism rears it's ugly head in the Netherlands, to go dormant after that for another year or so. Hopefully, and probably, this will be the case now.

In the metro (the oh-so succesful free newspaper which we can enjoy in the Netherlands also) I came across a small article about the head of a christian high school in the Netherlands in the Northern province Groningen. He objected to the teaching of evolution in biology classes. Luckily, a number of teachers of this school has objected to his statement, saying that they were hurt by it and that, according to them, evolution and christianity are fully compatible. The head of school has subsequently decided to take a short break from his work for a week, to allow a cooling down period.

I am very glad that in the Netherlands the teaching of evolution in biology classes is, as of yet, not hampered by religious fundamentalism and that the teachers in this high school were not afraid to take a stand for the teaching of evolution.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  02:03:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80
I am very glad that in the Netherlands the teaching of evolution in biology classes is, as of yet, not hampered by religious fundamentalism and that the teachers in this high school were not afraid to take a stand for the teaching of evolution.

It remains to be seen for how long this will be the case.
From the weblog of minister of education Maria van der Hoeven:
quote:

On wednesday i had an interesting discussion with Cees Dekker (Prof. in molecular biophysics at the university of Delft, Plyss)[...]. He subscribes to the Intelligent Design theory. This boils down to the idea that a "designer", a "creator" is fundamental to life on earth. I thought it was a very interesting conversation [...]If we succeed in getting scientists of different faiths to connect we might eventually get this idea into schools and classes. Officials from my department will be in contact with Dekker on how to shape this debate.

(Translation and emphasis mine, dutchisms preserved to stick close to the original text.)
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  15:23:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I'm planning to send the following reaction. I've translated it for you guys after the dutch text (my apologies in advance for the bad translation, it's late, I should be back in bed).

quote:
reaction in dutchGeachte mevrouw van der Hoeven,

Ik las in uw blog het volgende stukje:
"Woensdag had ik een interessant gesprek met Cees Dekker, nano-technoloog in Delft en winnaar van de Spinoza-prijs. Hij is aanhanger van de 'intelligent design'-gedachte. Die komt er op neer komt dat er een 'designer', een schepper ten grondslag ligt aan alle bestaan hier op aarde. Ik vond het een boeiend gesprek. Tegenover mij zat iemand die wetenschap en persoonlijk geloof heel goed wist te combineren. Ikzelf geloof evenmin in 'toeval'. Wat islam, jodendom, christendom verbindt is de gedachte dat er een 'schepper' is, hoe die dan ook verder mag worden aangeduid. Ik zie mogelijkheden om hiermee verbindingen te scheppen. Die zouden vooral in het academisch debat gelegd kunnen worden. Als we erin slagen om wetenschappers van verschillende geloofsrichtingen met elkaar te verbinden, kan het uiteindelijk misschien zelfs wel worden toegepast op scholen en in lessen. Er zal door een paar van mijn ambtenaren nog met Dekker worden doorgepraat over hoe we dit debat vorm kunnen gaan geven."

Ik zou u graag willen verzoeken om vooral met dit idee naar een aantal biologen of moleculair biologen te stappen. Zij zullen u (waarschijnlijk graag) vertellen dat het idee van dhr Dekker in het wetenschappelijk debat verworpen wordt, omdat dit idee op niets meer neerkomt dan een 'argument of ignorance', oftewel een argument vanuit onwetendheid. Uw zinsnede dat u evenmin gelooft in toeval verraad dat u in ieder geval het ontstaan van het leven alsmede de evolutietheorie waarschijnlijk weinig heeft bestudeert. Mocht dhr Dekker u wijsgemaakt hebben dat hetzij abiogenese (het ontstaan van het leven), hetzij evolutie puur op toeval berusten, dan zou ik u tevens aanraden vooral ook eens te spreken met mensen uit de disciplines die ik al eerder genoemd heb, en dan vooral met mensen die direct in deze onderzoeksrichtingen werken. Naar mijn beste weten is dhr Dekker niet een van deze mensen.

Mocht u met academisch debat de filosofie bedoelen, dan is dit allemaal prima. Dit is echter het enige vlak waar 'intelligent design' enige validiteit zou kunnen hebben. Aangezien een schepper in de zin van de christelijke God ontestbaar is, heeft het echter geen waarde in wetenschappelijke disciplines zoals de biologie of de chemie. Een opdringen van dit idee in deze wetenschappen vanuit de overheid zou dus zeer af te raden zijn.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Tom Koeman

quote:
TranslationDear mrs. van Der Hoeven,

I am reacting because of the following part I saw in your blog:
(part also translated and quoted by Plyss)

I would like to ask you to go with this idea to some biologists or molecular biologists. They will tell you (probably eagerly) that the ideas of mr. Dekker are rejected in the scientific debate, because his ideas boil down to nothing more than an 'argument from ignorance'. That you say that you do not believe in coincidence in relation to what you wrote, gives away that you probably haven't studied biology or abiogenesis much. If mr. Dekker told you either evolution, or abiogenesis, were the consequence of pure chance, then I would advise you again to go and speak with some biologists or molecular biologists, specifically those working in one of those fields of study. To the best of my knowledge, mr. Dekker is not one of them.

If you are referring to philosophy when referring to 'academic debate', then mr. Dekker's ideas might have some merit there. Since a designer in the meaning of a christian God is inherently untestable however, it has no merit in the scientific debate in biology or chemistry. Forcing this idea in the scientific debate through government interference would be inadvisable.

Regards,
Tom Koeman

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Edited by - tomk80 on 05/16/2005 15:25:02
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  06:09:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
To follow up on the above. I hadn't looked at the date very well, and it was already written in March. From what I can gather, there has already been enough of a public reaction, including questions asked in the second chamber (the dutch lower house of parliament). At present, it seems that her ideas were put were they belong, in the trashcan.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  23:15:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

To follow up on the above. I hadn't looked at the date very well, and it was already written in March. From what I can gather, there has already been enough of a public reaction, including questions asked in the second chamber (the dutch lower house of parliament). At present, it seems that her ideas were put were they belong, in the trashcan.

Bah, i was going to do this.
Ah well, at least other people are on top of this thing as well.

Oh, for those who are wondering about the 1999-thing, in 1995 the ministry of education removed the theory of evolution as required material in the curriculum (although most schools, including most Christian ones still taught it). A strong lobby from a number of biologist organisations got this decision reversed in 1999.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  04:55:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Thanks for the link, it's great. And I am a big fan of "Fokke & Sukke", so that was an extra treat (I hadn't seen the one on ID yet). I'm actually quite disappointed that "Groen Links" (the green party in the Netherlands) wasn't on top of this. I haven't heard anything from them in any way, while nature and environment (and hence education of evolution) should be on their priority list. I've send one of their representatives an e-mail asking for clarification, but have, as of yet, not heard back from it.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  04:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Another short update. According to the 'Volkskrant' (a daily newspaper), her plans to have a debate on evolution/ID my be backfiring. At this point, biology teachers are obligated to spend some time on other views on creation in their classes, for example as a history of the theory of evolution (not as equal theories or 'controversies'). The current debate has caused several politicians to plead for a total removal of these viewpoints from biology lessons.

Tom

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.