New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  21:56:08  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
We may have discussed this in another thread, but since this is comming up pretty soon I thought it should get its very own thread.

Besides, filthy's good friend Ken Ham is apparently MCing!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/events/megaconference/

I'd like to get my hands on copies of the material they pass out at this thing... could turn it into a project to point out the many many many flaws in their various arguments.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  01:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've no doubt that it will all be available on line in due course. If Panda's Thumb doesn't aquire it, Red State Rabble most likely will.

I too, am looking forward to the Megaconference (megaconference? WTF?) and particularly it's aftermath. My ol' buddy, the marsupial ape Hammy'll doubtless wax lyrical over it at AiG, and there will be thunderous orations from various pulpits by Falwell and other, famous blathermongers.

It is my understanding that my other ol' buddy, Sarfati, will also be in attendence.

I'd kinda like to attend, myself. The piety will be thick enough to pave a parking lot, and I would get enough anti-reality material to keep my keyboard rattling like C. adamanteus for weeks.

But I wonder what concrete results will come out of it, for good or ill. Even now, the political winds are shifting. ID got trashed in KS, although the outcome of that has most likely not changed. And it's going to get trashed again in PA. Cobb County is buying decal remover and the fillibuster yet remains as a possible check on dingbat, judicial nominees. In short, there appear be some cracks showing in the facade, some of them due at least in part to idiotcy such as this.
quote:
FOREST CITY -- A sign in front of a Baptist church on one of the most traveled highways in the county stirred controversy over religious tolerance and first-amendment rights this weekend.

A sign in front of Danieltown Baptist Church, located at 2361 U.S. 221 south reads "The Koran needs to be flushed," and the Rev. Creighton Lovelace, pastor of the church, is not apologizing for the display.

"I believe that it is a statement supporting the word of God and that it (the Bible) is above all and that any other religious book that does not teach Christ as savior and lord as the 66 books of the Bible teaches it, is wrong," said Lovelace. "I knew that whenever we decided to put that sign up that there would be people who wouldn't agree with it, and there would be some that would, and so we just have to stand up for what's right."

We live in interesting times, do we not?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/25/2005 01:49:42
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  15:00:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Cobb County is buying decal remover

I recommend Goo Gone.

I doubt that the adhesive on their stickers is anywhere near as bad-@$$ as the stuff they use on duct tape, so it should be a breeze.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  12:46:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
The speaker list looks interesting actually:

quote:
Ken Ham
Dr. John Whitcomb
Dr. Jonathan Sarfati
Dr. Jerry Falwell
Dr. Jason Lisle (aka Dr. Robert Newton)
Dr. Carl Wieland

I've met these guys over various years, they are pretty common in the YEC ground.

quote:
Dr. Russell Humphreys

He and my dad are great friends, I almost can't believe he's still around. Wow, remember seeing him speak at NMSU several times.

tk
Edited by - tkster on 05/28/2005 12:46:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.