Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  20:16:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
While I agree that we do not know exactly what is happening, "observation" does have an effect. Again with Young's double slit. If you fire single photons or electrons at a double slit, you still get the interference pattern. Put a detector inside the slits (to count individual photons/electrons say) and the pattern disappears. The particles are clearly not in just one place until we try to measure each one.

The only way I'm aware of that we can observe electrons is by bouncing other electrons off it. Taking HH's example, if we were to apply it to the macro world, the only way we could observe the path of a tennis ball is by pelting it with other tennis balls.

And of course, when you do this, the tennis balls will change direction, just as the electrons would, and change the experiment.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  20:30:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

Well, w.r.t the cat in particular, yes is it mostly just a math thing. But superposition of states do occur.
Oh, no, I agree that superpositions of states do occur, on a quantum level, but not to the cat itself.
quote:
Take Young's double slit experiment. You will still get the diffraction pattern if you used a light source so dim that only a single photon was shot towards the slits at one time. Which shows that a single photon goes through both slits! Young's experiment carried out with detectors inside the slits, will result in no interference pattern. The act of making a measurement will change the quantum state of the system we want to measure!
Technically, no: the act of moving the detectors changes the system we want to measure so that the quantum states in one have little relation to the quantum states in the other. With detectors at the slits, the photons cannot interfere with themselves.

Of course, the double-slit experiments point out the dual wave/particle nature of particles, whereas Schrodinger's Cat points out the effect of observation (correctly defined, you're right, as "any interaction," despite what the "God as universal observer" proponents want to hear) on the wave function. Two different things.

By the way, Giltwist, if the cat decided to take a nap during the experiment, gravity won't be noticably affected by its death. Not that I know many cats which would be calm enough trapped in a box to sleep, but you never know. The point being: a change in the center of gravity of the experiment would not be a reliable "death detector."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  20:42:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

Well, w.r.t the cat in particular, yes is it mostly just a math thing. But superposition of states do occur.
Oh, no, I agree that superpositions of states do occur, on a quantum level, but not to the cat itself.
Yeah, perhaps it was unclear what I was arguing.

I can accept that photons, etc. can exist in mulitple localities or "states." My only problem is when this fact of nature is somehow extrapolated to the universe writ large.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 06/10/2005 20:45:37
Go to Top of Page

Giltwist
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  20:47:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Giltwist's Homepage  Send Giltwist an AOL message  Send Giltwist an ICQ Message  Send Giltwist a Yahoo! Message Send Giltwist a Private Message
quote:
a change in the center of gravity of the experiment would not be a reliable "death detector."

Granted, but on that principle you'd think you'd be able to create a system that was without ever have to involve the sort of active sonar method described with the tennis balls. Wouldn't that just blow the socks off Heisenburg? If you could passively monitor by gravity, you would be able to get both position and velocity, wouldn't you?

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  21:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Gravity will probably play a major role in answering some of the questions that remain concerning quantum physics.

I read a recent article that suggested the reason why larger objects don't readily demonstrate superposition states (the way a photon does with the double slit) is that interaction with gravity forces the collapse of the wave function much more rapidly, preventing the observation of interference.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining that right, but the article was in Discover magazine.

http://www.discover.com/issues/jun-05/cover/

Interesting read.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  21:08:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Ah, thanks, Dude! That was the article I was talking about.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  21:30:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Giltwist

Granted, but on that principle you'd think you'd be able to create a system that was without ever have to involve the sort of active sonar method described with the tennis balls. Wouldn't that just blow the socks off Heisenburg? If you could passively monitor by gravity, you would be able to get both position and velocity, wouldn't you?
Gravity is thought to be carried by particles called gravitons. In other words, it also is "active sonar," since everything with mass emits and interacts with gravitons.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
I am duly corrected by Dave. I am confusing some aspects of Young's experiment with SQUID experiments:
http://www.amherst.edu/~jrfriedman/Scientific%20American/scientific-american%20edited.html

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
You can achieve a sufficient level of isolation to keep some quantum properties unaffected though.
Not sure what you mean here. Can you explain?

Ever looked up how a quantum computer works? Each qubit can exist as a 0, 1, or both 0 and 1. That is, a superposition of quantum states. As discussed previously, any sort of interaction is an observation. So how do you keep the superposition of states from collapsing? I don't know the entire answer, but IIRC, they use spin because its a little easier to keep isolated from things that would effect it.
Edited by - woolytoad on 06/11/2005 08:28:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.