New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:03:14  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I'm sure most of you remember the long thread about PIPPS/Pure Investor...

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3209&whichpage=5
Well, the guy that promised to give me $1000 in April of this year actually contacted me and said he'd pay up.

quote:
well....its apporaching april....Im in hawaii at the moment (been here for over half a month) I will be back home soon.

Pips has been very good to me.
Im currently making over 12k a month and pips is still going strong.
As a matter of fact...they are about to open their own bank....

a promise is a promise ....i said that after 6 months (which would have been april) if PIPS hasnt imploded i would personaly pay you $1000.....well april is comming soon.

I see that you are living in FL ...well when i get back I have to goto FL anyway to talk to an old friend about this program. Then im off to PA and NY...then to CA....

Lets meet up...we can have lunch (on me) and I will do as i said...I will "personaly" pay you $1000.

But....this doesnt really prove anything if you think about it. Alls it proves that PIPS has lasted for 6 months more....so far PIPS is around 3 years old and shows no sign of slowing down...

Nevertheless $1000 is yours as promised

So, I emailed him at the email addy he provided, and sent him a reply to his PM here on the SFN. I didn't care for a face-to-face meeting, so I offered him several alternative ways to go ahead and send the $$, paypal being the preferred method.

I got nothing by silence for a couple of weeks, so I re-sent emails and PM's. Still nothing.

Now, as it has been well over a month since he contacted me with his assurance he was willing to pay up, and I still have heard nothing from him, I'm posting this here.

Make of it what you will, but it is my opinion that he didn't really have any intention of following through.

Now, that said, if he happens to read this and sends the cash.... I'll def post to let people know he actually followed through with his promise.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:42:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I wonder if the face-to-face meeting was really a ruse to get you to go in on the scheme. And since you turned that down, his interest in paying you the money also went down...
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:55:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I wonder if the face-to-face meeting was really a ruse to get you to go in on the scheme. And since you turned that down, his interest in paying you the money also went down...

Exactly. The only way you were getting $1000 was if he could spend lunch giving you a personal pitch and convincing you to "reinvest" that money straight back into the program. But $1000 cash just to make good on his word? Never.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  17:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I think you have it in writing, so this appears to be a default of payment. Maybe you need to seek legal advice.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  18:22:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I think you have it in writing, so this appears to be a default of payment. Maybe you need to seek legal advice.

I don't think there is anything legally binding about a promise made on an internet forum. If there were, It would prob cost more that it is worth in legal fees to collect anyway.

It is just the principle of the thing. He claimed that he'd be making so much money by now that $1k would be worth less to him than $10 to your average person.

If that were actually the case, he could pass that cash along and would never miss it. As it is... apparently he's not nearly so secure financially as he thought he was going to be. Prob not even close to being able to part with $1k the way I would part with $10.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  17:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
My friend hasn't been received any money from PIPS since January. She says she's been told that the banks can't handle all the transactions. She's supposed to start getting checks again soon as they've changed banks. About $1,000 a week.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  18:56:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo
She says she's been told that the banks can't handle all the transactions.
Absolutely hilarious excuse. They should have told her the guy who was carrying her bushels of money to the bank threw out his back and that she should start getting her checks again once he recovers.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  07:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Absolutely hilarious excuse.

I wonder if they're still feeding out enough money and excuses to keep people sending in more money and recruiting more people.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.