Hurricane Dennis
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  16:17:14  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I'm from Mobile, Alabama. It looks like my area is going to have some rather nasty weather come Sunday.

To anyone else on this board from the area, good luck and keep dry!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  00:44:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I love a good storm.... Get a bright and reliable lantern, some munchies, and a good book of the sort that you've been meaning to read but kept putting it off.

I will never understand why people invest vast sums to build a house almost on the water. One storm coming ashore on the flood tide and it's all over except the insurance hassles.

I am reading that the North Atlantic water tempertures are up 2 degrees on the surface, off Nove Scotia, and 1 degree at depth. This is not welcome news in that it will have a serious effect on the fisheries. Also, surface temperatures of tropical waters are up, forgotten how much. This is going to favor hurricanes and word is that this year there might be quite a few of them. Dennis is a tad early for such an intense storm.

In any event, Good luck....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  02:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Pleco...Y'all have been getting plastered for the last couple of years. The Gulf storms seem to favor the eastern Gulf these days. I really hate to see you guys get so many, but in Louisiana we're thankful those storms are keeping east of N'Awlins.

Hope y'all don't get it too bad, though. I really can't wish anybody the hell of enduring a major storm. The last big one we had was Andrew. The northeast eye wall passed right over my town, but we were well protected by a low tide and lots of Oak and cypress trees. Most of the damage was caused by falling tree limbs. Plus, nearly every sign in town was destroyed, and that was no loss at all.

Personally, I lost part of my roof and most of my furniture, but I gained a new wife. I'm still thankful for that storm. Andrew blew in the happiest days of my life.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  13:02:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Actually, I was thinking yesterday that we should start an annual contest. Whoever correct predicts the number of times that SFN member Dude has to evacuate from his Florida home wins. But maybe we should expand that to all SFN members.

I'll say 10 evacuations due to hurricanes this year.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  16:41:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Actually, I was thinking yesterday that we should start an annual contest. Whoever correct predicts the number of times that SFN member Dude has to evacuate from his Florida home wins. But maybe we should expand that to all SFN members.

I'll say 10 evacuations due to hurricanes this year.

Being in Atlanta, I am oft the emergency hotel for people I know in Florida. Sure we get some nasty stuff afterwards. But not much more than a specacular thunderstorm.

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  16:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Dave, I'll assume that the number of evacuations is limited to those SFN members that post on a regular basis, and a general evacuation order has been put in effect for that members home town.

For myself, I probably won't evacuate. My wife works at a hospital and I work in maintenance at a major plant. Our jobs often require our services during emergency situations, including storms. Plus, we're first responders. So, I would expect that a general evacuation order for the south central area of Louisiana would count toward your prediction, even though we may not actually leave.

Anyways, I'll say that SFN members will recieve 8 evacuation orders even with a busy hurricane season. That may seem to be a small number, but I'm not really sure how many members actually live on the East or Gulf coasts.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  17:20:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
The mandatory evac for all of Mobile County is the first in history. I live quite a bit inland (almost middle of the county) - most of the time evacs are for coastal areas only. The funny thing is the county to the east (Baldwin) is CLOSER to the projected eye landfall and they only evac the lower half - same for the Florida counties.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  17:28:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Pleco, I'm not too familiar with the geography of the Mobile area, but could the Evacuation of your entire county be due to the proximity to Mobile Bay and possible storm surge?

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  18:23:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
If the hurricane hits to the east, the winds come from north to south, pushing all the water out. If it hits to the west, it pushes water in. Right now it looks like it is hitting to the east of Mobile. But yes the evac normally is for homes in low lying areas, which there are a lot of.

One "good" thing is the storm is moving at a good pace, which means that it won't be able to sit in place and rain, causing floods. Also the rain appears to be on the eastern side.

Of course, this is good news for me but very bad news for people in Florida. :-(

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  18:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A little off topic, but I had a thought: this storm was the worst seen in Cuba in forty years. They pretty well got wiped slick.

I wonder how much aid we'll be sending them, they being rotton commies, and all....

And Haiti; forget Haiti. They will get what they've always gotten: screwed.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  19:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

Dave, I'll assume that the number of evacuations is limited to those SFN members that post on a regular basis...
Really, Tim, the number is going to have to be set by the number of SFN members who tell us that they evacuated. I now know that you, pleco, Dude and Storm all live (more-or-less) along the Gulf Coast, but I'm not going to hold to the Weather Channel's reporting of evacuation orders. That would be too much like work.

(Plus, this may draw out some more SFN lurkers.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  19:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
Click on the following link http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  16:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Gez...Welcome back and lad to see you posting, again. Plus, thanks for the link. That one will find practical use.

edited to add that this key board has a sticky ''. So, you may see me miss that letter quite a bit.

Edited by - Tim on 07/10/2005 17:48:35
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  03:20:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Pleco, I sure hope you survived the storm with little damage and not too much discomfort. Hopefully, you'll get home and find your house in good shape, and thankful for the day off work.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  06:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Hi all:

Mobile dodged another bullet - basically we got tropical storm winds and rain. I never lost power or cable or internet. There was no damage to my abode, and I don't have a day off of work!

Of course, what is good for me is bad for someone else. I hope the damage elsewhere is not terrible (I haven't watched the news lately).

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.