Responses to: "American Fundamentalists" painting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  16:48:38  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
A painting called "American Fundamentalists" done by Joel Pelletier has been touring freethought groups. As a Masters in Fine Arts candidate, I am speaking on a panel discussion about the painting at the Secular Student Alliance Con in late August. I am curious about other skeptics' responses to this painting.

The painting and details about it can be viewed at:
www.americanfundamentalists.com

And more about the SSA con can be viewed at:
www.secularstudents.org

Marf

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  17:01:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Yeah, I don't know. Kind of heavy-handed in its symbolism. Though I'm sure "in your face!" was probably what the artist was going for. The painting reminds me of a series of political cartoons and caricatures just all stitched together on a single canvas, although I realize he did model the composition on another piece. It's just too overtly political for me to care much about as art. Politically, however, I mostly agree with the message.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/08/2005 17:07:02
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  01:32:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
"I don't knows nothin' 'bout art, but I knows what I likes..."

I had to go back to it several times to get the hang of the thing. Reading the cast of charectios was a big help, as I couldn't make out individuals in the painting -- aging eyes and cheap specticals.

I wonder if prints will be available.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  16:40:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
Mixed feelings...

It feels a little too much like the types of blanket propaganda that folks in the Secular, or Skeptical groups often point at and hate in others.

Not sure why, since I agree with most of what they are trying to do... But, feels dirty somehow.

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  17:31:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message
quote:

I wonder if prints will be available.

http://www.americanfundamentalists.com/poster.html

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  17:47:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by skepticality

Mixed feelings...

It feels a little too much like the types of blanket propaganda that folks in the Secular, or Skeptical groups often point at and hate in others.

Not sure why, since I agree with most of what they are trying to do... But, feels dirty somehow.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

The painting told me nothing that I didn't already know, but the art is interesting if not fascinating. It reminds me a little of some of the political cartoons dating from before the American Revolution into the early 1900s.

And I'm dirty, anyway....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  23:02:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
OK, now that the ball is rolling, I'll say what I think. It is bad art. It is only an imitation of the Ensor painting in the most superficial of ways, the execution is inconsistent, and the whole things looks like an overwroght political cartoon that desperately wants to be fine art. It would make a fine book cover for a critical book about modern American conservatism, and that's about all.

So, um, did anyone notice that a good third of the people in the painting are not actually fundamentalists? (At least not by any commonly understood or standard academic definition of the word.) He includes libertarians and Jewish neo-cons, and calls them "economic fundamentalists" and "political fundamentalists". The artist's arrogant rants about his own painting on the website are actually rather entertaining.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  02:28:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Deleted 'cause it's early in the morning and the coffee ain't workin' yet.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/10/2005 02:37:17
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  02:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

[quote]Originally posted by marfknox

OK, now that the ball is rolling, I'll say what I think. It is bad art. It is only an imitation of the Ensor painting in the most superficial of ways, the execution is inconsistent, and the whole things looks like an overwroght political cartoon that desperately wants to be fine art. It would make a fine book cover for a critical book about modern American conservatism, and that's about all.

So, um, did anyone notice that a good third of the people in the painting are not actually fundamentalists? (At least not by any commonly understood or standard academic definition of the word.) He includes libertarians and Jewish neo-cons, and calls them "economic fundamentalists" and "political fundamentalists". The artist's arrogant rants about his own painting on the website are actually rather entertaining.

Yes, I did. I liked it for it's chaotic collage of well known figures, most of whom I despise. I also liked the style. I still don't get the point of the thing, but that's not important, really. Perhaps it has no point.

Heh, show me an artist who is not a bit arrogant about his work, and I'll show you one who ain't sellin' many paintin's.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  10:49:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I agree that it is just bad art. I think the concept is interesting and even the composition is ok - but his style (ability) leaves alot to be desired.

Everybody's a critic....

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.