Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

HYBRID
BANNED

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HYBRID a Private Message
No buddy! When you post on some sites, it regulates the quotes, and I would not have to highlight anything, it does it already. I do this everyday, so please don't question me on it.

The point of the sites were to let you know that space being finite, is not as definite as you think.

Nice waiste of space at the bottom.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad
The second pages neither supports nor refutes Hybrids idea, saying that space could be infinite, or it could be finite. We can't really tell yet. Which has always been my understanding.
How can space be infinite if it's only been expanding for the last 14 billion years?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HYBRID
BANNED

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:05:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HYBRID a Private Message
That, my friend, is just a theory with 0 absolute proof! Anything else?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HYBRID

Yes, it is amazing how much of science you've been able to discredit by simple hand-waving. Quite an impressive intellect you have. So you are a student of history, huh? Did you know the holocaust never happened? There is no proof! Next. Did you know Jesus never even existed! There is no proof! Next. World War II? Ha! What a lie perpetrated by the media! What proof do you have besides a few manufactured film reels and doctored news articles. No proof at all, that's what! You are an indoctrinated sheep! Next!

(Gee, I kind of like this. It's so much easier than actually thinking.)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/12/2005 18:18:55
Go to Top of Page

HYBRID
BANNED

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:21:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HYBRID a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Yes, it is amazing how much of science you've been able to discredit by simple hand-waving. Quite an impressive intellect you have. So you are a student of history, huh? Did you know the holocaust never happened? There is no proof! Next. Did you know Jesus never even existed! There is no proof! Next.
World War II? Ha! What a lie perpetrated by the media! What proof do you have besides a few manufactured film reels and doctored news articles. No proof at all, that's what! You are an indoctrinated sheep! Next!

(Gee, I kind of like this. It's so much easier than actually thinking.)

Jesus did not exist. What's your point? I know you like this, and you don't think much.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:23:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:

quote:
The second pages neither supports nor refutes Hybrids idea, saying that space could be infinite, or it could be finite. We can't really tell yet. Which has always been my understanding.
How can space be infinite if it's only been expanding for the last 14 billion years?

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=274

But I don't think you couldn't verify if the universe is infinite or not. Astronomy at the moment uses various types of light to make observations. We can only observe what we see. So say we shot a beam of light out and waited for it to bounce back off the edge of the universe. If it was infinite, it'd never come back, but we'd never know. It could just be insanely huge. I don't think this is something you can actually show.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:27:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
What's your point?
That is incredibly easy, and absolutely meaningless, to make unsupported claims as you have. You have yet to offer a shred of evidence for any of the claims you make on the basis that "You aren't out to change anyone's mind." Well, fine. Go start a live journal or something, as the only one who cares about your opinions is you.

This is a place where you are expected to back up your statements with facts. I know you don't like to be told how to think, but baselessly trashing skeptics and their methods without even attempting to engage in any semblance of a reasoned discourse is simply trolling.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/12/2005 18:28:28
Go to Top of Page

HYBRID
BANNED

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:31:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HYBRID a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

But I don't think you couldn't verify if the universe is infinite or not. Astronomy at the moment uses various types of light to make observations. We can only observe what we see. So say we shot a beam of light out and waited for it to bounce back off the edge of the universe. If it was infinite, it'd never come back, but we'd never know. It could just be insanely huge. I don't think this is something you can actually show.

I think that this is something none of us can know at the present time. Way to go! I like that in you, unlike this other guy.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

How does an infinite Universe fit with the Big Bang theory? I understand space is expanding, but I don't see why that would indicate an infinite Universe, especially one we know had a definite beginning.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/12/2005 18:35:37
Go to Top of Page

HYBRID
BANNED

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:37:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HYBRID a Private Message
quote:

quote:
What's your point?
That is incredibly easy, and absolutely meaningless, to make unsupported claims as you have. You have yet to offer a shred of evidence for any of the claims you make on the basis that "You aren't out to change anyone's mind." Well, fine. Go start a live journal or something, as the only one who cares about your opinions is you.

This is a place where you are expected to back up your statements with facts. I know you don't like to be told how to think, but baselessly trashing skeptics and their methods without even attempting to engage in any semblance of a reasoned discourse is simply trolling.

You are just annoying. You keep saying I have no proof for my claims, what claims? Other than space is infinite, and none os us will ever know, although it is.I don't have anything to prove to you, or anybody for that matter. If I feel you should be impressed, I will do so, but you sir, are not worth the trouble.

You are right, I should not, even though I don't think I harshly bashed skeptics. THis is just one way of thinking, and mine is another, and there are billions of other ways of thinking. But in the same token, you should respect others as well, and be open minded and don't talk crap about stuff that cannot be proven or disproven and try to say someone is delusonal because you don't like it, and try to build your ego up off of it. How lame is that?
Go to Top of Page

HYBRID
BANNED

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HYBRID a Private Message
quote:

quote:

How does an infinite Universe fit with the Big Bang theory? I understand space is expanding, but I don't see why that would indicate an infinite Universe, especially one we know had a definite beginning.

Big bang? Another unprovable theory, which I don't fancy either. Not jugding you for what you think though, so you won't think I a trying to be a certain way.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Big bang? Another unprovable theory, which I don't fancy either. Not jugding you for what you think though, so you won't think I a trying to be a certain way.

Thankfully, your fancying or not fancying something makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in what nature does. Woo.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ah but "Shorty," I do know you. I've met you a hundred times on these and other fora. I've met you a thousand times in the course of my life and travels. I've listened to you hurl baseless accusations in the media and pontificate upon nonsense in the halls of Congress. Rush Limbaugh speaks with your voice. I know you quite well, thank you.

But, let us try again, just for the hell of it: precisely what portions of the theory of evolutions do you object to and why?

Please try to avoid the temptation to reference new age and religious sites. They are merely more unsupported blather. Just spit it out in your own words.

Again, I reccommend the Logical Fallicies link.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:47:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:

How does an infinite Universe fit with the Big Bang theory? I understand space is expanding, but I don't see why that would indicate an infinite Universe, especially one we know had a definite beginning.[/quote]

I don't think it does fit in. Perhaps our universe may be finite, but it exists in an infinite 'space'. I was reading an issue of Scientific American about parallel universes. Apparently many practical observations we make actually support the many worlds idea. Apparently many of the statistical calculations they make to determine the distance of a star based on it's brightness/size etc rely on many worlds!

This is why I generally stay away from this stuff. Want me to dig it up and post a separate thread?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  18:51:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
I don't think it does fit in. Perhaps our universe may be finite, but it exists in an infinite 'space'. I was reading an issue of Scientific American about parallel universes. Apparently many practical observations we make actually support the many worlds idea. Apparently many of the statistical calculations they make to determine the distance of a star based on it's brightness/size etc rely on many worlds!

This is why I generally stay away from this stuff. Want me to dig it up and post a separate thread?

No, that's ok, man. I was only speaking about our Universe anyway. The multi-verse theory isn't something we necessarily need to get into.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds.