New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  12:13:27  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Can I see a show of hands? Is this Pseudoscience, Humor, Health, or Religion? Okay, looks like Humor has it...

I don't even remember what I was searching on at Google, but landed on a web page where we learn that some Christians have some weird ideas. But then I'm not telling most of you anything you didn't already know. Here's an article, apparently summarizing the material put forth in a book, Hypnosis: Medical, Scientific, or Occultic?.
quote:
Hypnotism is demonic at its worst and potentially dangerous at its best. At its worst, it opens an individual to psychic experiences and satanic possession. When mediums go into hypnotic trances and contact the "dead," when clairvoyants reveal information which they could not possibly know, when fortunetellers through self-hypnosis reveal the future, Satan is most certainly at work.
Read the whole article here...

Hypnosis - Christian or Occult?

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  12:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Good find, Gee!
quote:
- In these days of supposed great stress and strain, hypnosis claims to offer relief for the masses. Hypnosis has become the therapeutic tool health professionals are pulling out of the bag to battle smoking and weight problems; manage anxiety, fears, and phobias; relieve pain; overcome depression; improve a person's sex life; cure maladies such as asthma and hayfever; undergo chemotherapy without nausea; prompt injuries to heal more quickly; and improve grades. Otherwise legitimate medical doctors use hypnosis as part of the healing process to reduce the side effects from drugs, to help speed patient recovery, and reduce post-operative discomfort. Dentists are using hypnotic techniques in conjunction with nitrous oxide to relax patients, minimize pain and bleeding, and control patient gas reflex during procedures.

I had no idea that hypnotism was so widespread. And yet, as much hospital time as I've had, I've never seen it done in one.

Then again, when you take the religious hysteria and occult blather away, it's a not-too-shabby summery.
quote:
Hypnosis is not even reliable with recent recall. What is "remembered" under hypnosis has often been created, reconstructed, or enhanced during the state of heightened suggestibility. Research indicates that after hypnosis, a person is unable to distinguish between a true recollection and what he imagined or created under the heightened suggestibility. Hypnosis is just as likely to bring forth false impressions as true accounts of past events. (Individuals can and do lie under hypnosis!) Hypnosis is thus more likely to contaminate the memory than to help a person remember what really happened.

Besides past life hypnotic therapy, some practitioners are doing future life hypnotic therapy. The hypnotized person supposedly sees future events, solves murders, reveals the future fates of well-known personalities, etc. One involved in this hypnotic time travel must ask himself, "Where is the line of demarcation between the demonic and the divine, between the realm of Satan and Science? At what point does the door of darkness open and the devil gain a foothold?"

It began in modern times with one Dr. Mesmer. It was a good party gag and stage act, and so it remains. Psudoscience, says I.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  13:12:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Agreed. Pseudoscience.

How're you doing, GeeMack?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 07/16/2005 13:12:59
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  13:33:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Hey there, the_ignored, I'm doing well, thank you.

Being a magician, I know a handful of people in the entertainment business who use "hypnosis" as their vehicle. Fortunately most of them have a realistic handle on it and don't give it any more credit than mentioned in filthy's comment...
quote:
Originally posted by filthy...
It began in modern times with one Dr. Mesmer. It was a good party gag and stage act, and so it remains.
When I read the hypnosis article, I was amused at the Satan angle these folks brought into the issue. Anything to further an agenda I suppose. Isn't debunking pseudoscience good enough for its own sake?
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  16:14:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
A friend once participated in one of those on stage hypnosis things. She tells me that when she was supposed to be 'hypnotised', she figured, 'everybody else is doing something, I better do it too'. So she makes like a washing machine. Stage hypnosis is definitely just a clever trick.

Pretty funny though.
Go to Top of Page

redeemer

USA
1 Post

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  12:52:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send redeemer an AOL message  Send redeemer a Yahoo! Message Send redeemer a Private Message
My dad is a "christian" preacher. He believe that anyone not saved has demons in them. Also, that behind every misforunate or 'evil'satan is behind.

smother
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  13:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

A friend once participated in one of those on stage hypnosis things. She tells me that when she was supposed to be 'hypnotised', she figured, 'everybody else is doing something, I better do it too'. So she makes like a washing machine. Stage hypnosis is definitely just a clever trick.

Pretty funny though.

Often people who are hypnotised later claim that were in control of their actions the entire time. From what I've gathered about the experience, this is somewhat true but misleading. Usually those under hypnosis will not do anything they find highly objectionable--so no dice on hypnotising someone to commit a murder for you. But what they do experience is a heightened desire to acquiesce. People, like your friend, often will feel an overwhelming obligation to "just go along" with whatever instructions are being given to them. It isn't as if they don't realize they are following absurd instructions, they do. But it isn't quite the same thing as just "pretending to be hypotised," since many of the things they go along with are things they would never agree to do if they were not hypnotised to begin with. Hypnosis seems to somehow tap into people's desire to be obedient. Of course, there is also a motivation to "give the audience what it expects" associated with performance, so I'm sure there is some blending of pressures in such hypnotism stage acts.

And welcome redeemer. By the way you put "christian" in quotation marks I'm assuming you might have a few issues with your father. That's unfortunate. But what's your own opinion on these matters?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/25/2005 13:21:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.