SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  15:24:39  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
This is so ridiculous I thought about posting it in Humor:

Benevolent Design

quote:

We have launched this website for two reasons:

One of the purposes of this website is to offer our help to anyone dedicated to disproving Darwinism and/or proving that the Shroud of Turin is the true burial cloth of our Savior, Jesus of Nazareth. ...

We talk about all this because we have discovered a way to disprove Darwinism by using good astrology, and we have improved Intelligent Design by using good astrology. The astrology we are using is the astrology of the Three Wise Men who foretold of the Bethlehem Star and successfully followed it to Christ's birthplace. The Three Wise Men were MAGI and their special form of astrology is called Magi Astrology.

Magi Astrology is so different from any other form of astrology that 95% of Magi Astrology contradicts other forms of astrology. The beauty of Magi Astrology is that it disproves Darwinism and proves Intelligent Design. Magi Astrology helps to move Intelligent Design to the very high level needed so that Intelligent Design can make accurate predictions about genetics, the weather, and other areas that presently baffle scientists.

They then go into a hilarious dissertation showing that "Darwinism" is false because the relatives of great athletes are not themselves great athletes (no, I'm not kidding):

quote:
The fact is that less than 1 in 500 professional athletes have either a father or mother or a child who has also been professional athletes. And less than 1 in 500 professional athletes has at least one brother or sister who has also been professional athletes. This is a knockout blow to Darwinism because unless great genes are passed on most of the time, Darwinism could not possibly work.

Darwinism faces similar problems with respect to all greatly talented individuals. Noble Laureates never have given birth to other Noble Laureates. The fact is that children of geniuses are almost never geniuses, and the children of greatly talented parents almost never are equally and similarly talented. Perhaps even more important, some of the world's most talented children came from impoverished, under privileged parents with so-called inferior genes.

...If Evolution Theory actually worked, there would be no Cinderella stories and your parents would have had to be special in order for you to become special. If Evolution Theory really worked, Earth would be a very sad place to be because parents with normal genes could not dream about having an especially talented child.

How sad that would be.

But thank God that is not the case.

...The reason any parents can have fabulously talented children is that God designed it that way. God designed the world such that the alignment of the planets on a day someone is born helps the person to have certain talents and abilities. Some alignments of the planets are more helpful than others. And different planetary alignments help the babies in different ways. For example, when Mars and Venus are aligned exactly together in sky, the baby will have great athletic ability; when Venus and Mercury are aligned exactly together in the sky, the baby will have a great mind. (See footnote two.) These are some of the many principles of Magi Astrology. And it is why some parents who have no athletic ability themselves can have children who become great athletes.

If Magi Astrology really works, then Darwinism does not work.

Darwinism is based on the premise that parents who have the greatest ability to survive have this advantage because of their genes and they will u

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  15:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Darwinism is based on the premise that parents who have the greatest ability to survive have this advantage because of their genes and they will usually pass on this advantage to their children because the children inherit the parents' genes. But if parents cannot pass on such advantages to their children, then Darwinism cannot work.

Yep, that about sums it up right there.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  16:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Heh, that made my day....

These guys could change their material slightly and have a very successful stage act doing comedy in 'Vegas.

I haven't completely gone through the site yet -- when and where do I get to the place where they ask for cash? Gilding bullshit ain't cheap, y'know.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  18:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I dropped them a line:
quote:

To whom it may concern:

Thank you for the most creative explanation of why evolution and Darwinism is a failed theory. Your take on what "survival of the fittest" means was breathtaking in its simplicity. Amazing is all I can say. Keep up the good work! I didn't think it was possible to make Kent Hovind look like a genius. (Actually, I still don't think it's possible to make Kent Hovind look like a genius, but you know what I mean.)

If it is at all possible, could you tell me what exactly it is that you people are smoking? I need some of that stuff! (I have to admit I did get a bit of a contact high reading about evolution on your site. I am still giggling.)

Anyhow, laughter is good. I have bookmarked your site for those times that reality gets me down and I need a good laugh.

David Glück
Skeptic Friends Network
http://www.skepticfriends.org

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  19:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I dropped them a line:
quote:

To whom it may concern:

Thank you for the most creative explanation of why evolution and Darwinism is a failed theory. Your take on what "survival of the fittest" means was breathtaking in its simplicity. Amazing is all I can say. Keep up the good work! I didn't think it was possible to make Kent Hovind look like a genius. (Actually, I still don't think it's possible to make Kent Hovind look like a genius, but you know what I mean.)

If it is at all possible, could you tell me what exactly it is that you people are smoking? I need some of that stuff! (I have to admit I did get a bit of a contact high reading about evolution on your site. I am still giggling.)

Anyhow, laughter is good. I have bookmarked your site for those times that reality gets me down and I need a good laugh.

David Glück
Skeptic Friends Network
http://www.skepticfriends.org

Nice, very nice.... Erm, you wouldn't be tryin' to bait them into here, hmmm?

I'm going to get back to the site tomorrow. It really is good for a guffaw or two. These guys are so far out that they're back in again, turn't 'round an' a'fallin' down.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  19:16:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Your take on what "survival of the fittest" means was breathtaking in its simplicity.
As said by someone, "For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat and wrong."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  20:31:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
We talk about all this because we have discovered a way to disprove Darwinism by using good astrology, and we have improved Intelligent Design by using good astrology.

Emphasis mine

Are they implying that there is bad astrology? I'm curious, how exactly do I tell the difference?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/29/2005 20:33:15
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  20:41:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Are they implying that there is bad astrology? I'm curious, how exactly do I tell the difference?

I'm assuming they've somehow fused New Age thinking with biblical literalism. So "Magi Astrology" = from the bible = good. Regular old astrology = from the devil worshipping pagans = bad.

How they actually derived a system of astrology from the 3 Wise Men is another story.

Edit: Actually, after reading a bit more, it doesn't seem that Magi Astrology has anything to do with the bible. This is the explanation from the FAQ:
quote:
Magi Astrology is the astrology of the Magi Society. Instead of being based on sun signs, ascendants and houses, Magi Astrology is based on Planetary Geometry and the angles made by the planets.

Magi Astrology is scientifically formulated, and it has been tested and validated. By using the principles of Magi Astrology we published in 1999, you can explain the breakups, marriages and divorces of all the celebrity lovers that have made the headlines. You can understand why Ben Affleck did not marry Jennifer Lopez, why Meg Ryan left Dennis Quaid for Russel Crowe and why Russell Crowe dumped Meg, why Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise divorced, why Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin divorced, etc.

I still have no idea what "Magi Astrology" is.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/29/2005 20:47:12
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  02:31:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

I do. It's the same, old gobbledegook all dressed up in a new suit of verbage.

The beauty of this is that you can make any sort of silly claim and if called on it, you can escape by invoking the mysterious wisdom of the Magi and their vast and mystic knowledge of the universe. And the blush on that particular rose is that their target audience will never call them on it.
quote:
Magi Astrology is so different from any other form of astrology that 95% of Magi Astrology contradicts other forms of astrology. The beauty of Magi Astrology is that it disproves Darwinism and proves Intelligent Design. Magi Astrology helps to move Intelligent Design to the very high level needed so that Intelligent Design can make accurate predictions about genetics, the weather, and other areas that presently baffle scientists.

The above paragraph is filled with bold and preposterous statements that would never fly in here without some damned good, researchable references, but to the believer they are simple statements of fact that don't need reference because the Magi has passed on knowledge that they recieved directly from God, and is therefore unassailable.

I find it significant that God or Who/Whatever never passes this sort of information directly to those who profess to use it (apart from televangelists and psychics of course, but they've got their own scams going). It's always someone/thing else that had the ancient gift and it's user miraculously 'discovered' it to the benefit of all mankind. The secrets of Egyptian pyramids, Nostradamus, the hyroglyphs of the Aztecs, all and many more have had a go at the public's imagination, gullibility, and pocketbook.

And I am reminded yet again that a great many people actually care about this:
quote:
Magi Astrology is scientifically formulated, and it has been tested and validated. By using the principles of Magi Astrology we published in 1999, you can explain the breakups, marriages and divorces of all the celebrity lovers that have made the headlines. You can understand why Ben Affleck did not marry Jennifer Lopez, why Meg Ryan left Dennis Quaid for Russel Crowe and why Russell Crowe dumped Meg, why Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise divorced, why Kim Bassinger and Alec Baldwin divorced, etc.
And the folks who live vicariously through antics and foibles of celebreties and others are the target, not us -- never the skeptic -- and thus it all makes perfect sense, alas.

Hey Wreck, this might be something that Randi would be interested in.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  03:25:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
I thought I might try Magi Financial Astrology to strike it rich. Man, using Heliocentric Astrology and Planetary Geometry sounded like a sure fire system. Then, when I was trying to figure out how much I'd have to spend to buy the software, I noticed the disclaimer:
quote:
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: By reading any of the material on this website you agree to our DISCLAIMER: The Magi Society, The Magi Associates, Inc. and Magi Astrologers Worldwide Corporation make no claims whatsoever concerning the validity of the information provided herein, and will not be held liable for any use thereof. No information or opinion expressed here is a solicitation to buy or sell securities, bonds, real estate, commodities, options, futures or any financial instruments whatsoever.
Man, I'd already read some of the material, so that material is no longer valid. I mean, I got so depressed. It's like they were telling me that their system only works if I don't know anything about it. Or, something like that.

So, this post is absolutely meaningless, unless of course, you've never read it.

I think.

Whatever.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  05:53:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Wow, thats an impressive site

Well, I laughed atleast... hehe

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  06:08:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tim

I thought I might try Magi Financial Astrology to strike it rich. Man, using Heliocentric Astrology and Planetary Geometry sounded like a sure fire system. Then, when I was trying to figure out how much I'd have to spend to buy the software, I noticed the disclaimer:
quote:
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: By reading any of the material on this website you agree to our DISCLAIMER: The Magi Society, The Magi Associates, Inc. and Magi Astrologers Worldwide Corporation make no claims whatsoever concerning the validity of the information provided herein, and will not be held liable for any use thereof. No information or opinion expressed here is a solicitation to buy or sell securities, bonds, real estate, commodities, options, futures or any financial instruments whatsoever.
Man, I'd already read some of the material, so that material is no longer valid. I mean, I got so depressed. It's like they were telling me that their system only works if I don't know anything about it. Or, something like that.

Yossarian: "That's some catch, that Catch 22!"

Doc Daneeka: "It's the best there is..."
quote:
So, this post is absolutely meaningless, unless of course, you've never read it.

You have learned well, Grasshopper...

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  06:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Filthy:
Erm, you wouldn't be tryin' to bait them into here, hmmm?

Would I do that….?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  07:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Filthy:
Erm, you wouldn't be tryin' to bait them into here, hmmm?

Would I do that….?

Sure, why not? I would...

But, having gleaned a little closer of the site (hoo-boy! ), I've about come to the conclusion that these 'astrologers' are more interested in promoting their agenda than arguing it's merits.

Nice try, though.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  12:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H Humbert:

According to this page:

quote:
Traditional Astrology stops at the number 2 and this has been a big problem for astrology. But Magi Astrology goes well beyond the number 2.

Traditional Astrology is very limited because it examines aspects formed by just two planets, such as Venus and Mars; or Jupiter and the Sun. But Magi Astrology is advanced enough to be used to analyze aspects made between more than two planets, such as between Jupiter, Pluto and Mars; or between Mars, Pluto, Uranus and Chiron. Magi Astrology deals with Multiple-Planet Aspects, but Traditional Astrology deals with aspects made up of only two planets.

There, that's perfectly clear now. I think they go to "11".

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  14:17:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
So does this Magi Astrology, allow for Sedna and now, 2003 UB313, ya think? Interesting that they seem to suggest Christianity accepts Magi Astrology, too. Would like to watch a forum on their site..

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.