New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  21:56:01  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
I can groove on that whole evolution thing, but what I was wondering is this.

Has evolution in regards the homo erectus/ homo sapien/ human being reached a dead end?

Is it now only a matter of us evolving into our technology?

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  23:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This has been argued many times, here and elsewhere, to no real conclusion. Thus, I can only give an opinion.

Evolution never rests. One might, and some have, used the coelacanth as an example of evolution stopping, but even those creatures that are called "living fossils" have evolved a bit from their ancient forms to suit the envrionmental niche they occupy. As that niche has subtly changed, so have they.

We too, will continue to evolve for as long as we last, although in what ways I cannot predict, nor, I think, can anyone else.

And there is always that grim reminder: the untimate fate of all species is extinction....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  23:59:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

...And there is always that grim reminder: the untimate fate of all species is extinction....

Yup. But, if you want to be an optimist of sorts, even the fact that eventually, all species become extinct, including us; it's just Nature making room for next year's model.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  16:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Has evolution in regards the homo erectus/ homo sapien/ human being reached a dead end?

Assuming of course that you actually have access to this technology. Most people don't. Most people go to bed hungry and get diseases you have never heard of.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  16:33:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Has evolution in regards the homo erectus/ homo sapien/ human being reached a dead end?

Assuming of course that you actually have access to this technology. Most people don't. Most people go to bed hungry and get diseases you have never heard of.
[/quote]

So, your answer to the second question would be "No", then?

What have diseases, or whether I've heard about them got to do with anything?

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  16:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dry_vby
What have diseases, or whether I've heard about them got to do with anything?
Diseases would be one example of a selection pressure.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  19:40:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Diseases would be one example of a selection pressure.

This is precisely what I meant. People like ourselves that live in first world countries (with all our facilities and drugs) are probably less subjected to selective pressures than people living in third world countries. Maybe, then, the populations of poor nations can be expected to evolve faster. (Also, if you are in a third world country, there would be little technology to evolve into anyhow.)

Sidenote: Speaking of countries: While holidaying in the Rockies (Banff, Canada) last christmas I phoned up a ski rental place and asked (by mistake, HONESTLY) if they rented out cross cunty skis. This still gives my wife the giggles.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  21:43:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Kurt Vonnegut has often suggested that human extinction will come in the form of a virus or bacteria. In his novel Galapagos, humanity goes extinct due to a disease that infects all human eggs, and thus, no one can reproduce anymore. But it isn't the end of the line for humans because a handful (the cast of characters in the story) end up stranded on one of the Galapagos Islands right before the shit hits the fan, and over a million years they evolve into something similar to seals. (I haven't really ruined the story for anyone who hasn't read it, since he makes this part of the story clear early on and the real story is about the people who get stranded.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  21:51:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
Indeed, an excelant read, as are all of Vonneguts work.

"Cats cradle" also has an interesting perspective.

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.