Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  11:25:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
OK, my faves

Wizards (1976) -- classic tale of good and evil animated.

Animal House (1980) -- Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

The Blues Brothers -- If you're not from Chicago, you don't get half of the jokes.

LoTR trillogy -- OK, it's recent but tremendous.

America's Sweethearts -- Exposing the insanity that is Hollywood.

Ghostbusters -- Yes, it's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  13:28:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
I know it's been said before but I really must re-iterate Dr. Strangelove. If movies had a god, it would speak in a german accent and have Nazi Tourettes (syndrome).
Edited by - Subjectmatter on 09/06/2005 13:29:28
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  15:19:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
I'd like to suggest "Se7en". Fairly new, but already a classic in the thriller-genre. Then again, maybe i just remember it so fondly because it was the first movie i took a girl to ;)

I also quite enjoyed "Remains of the Day" and "Driving Miss Daisy".

As for the rest, well, i have a pretty poor taste. I loved "Alien", "Tremors", "Bad Taste", "Braindead" and the 1978 version of "Dawn of the Dead" (as well as pretty much every George Romero movie). Am i obsessed with monsters and zombies?
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  15:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
There are so many great (and bad movies), and I'm such a big movie geek, I could fill this thread with movie choices.

So, in the interests of restraint, I've decided to approach this genre wise.

I'm gonna start with "War movies".

This covers a hell of a range in itself, so I've further broken it down thusly:

WW1:

Paths of glory
Johnny got his gun

WW2:

Schindlers list
The piano
(Honourable mention to the first twenty minutes of "Saving Private Ryan)

Korean war:

M*A*S*H*
Bridges of Toko-ri

Vietnam war:

(Apart from those already mentioned)
Platoon
Full metal jacket

(Oh, btw, I'm sooooo glad no one has mentioned Tarantino yet, although it's only a matter of time, I'm sure.)

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  17:34:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
I'd also recommend The Gods Must Be Crazy.

quote:
A Sho in the Kalahari desert encounters technology for the first time--in the shape of a Coke bottle. He takes it back to his people, and they use it for many tasks. The people start to fight over it, so he decides to return it to the God--where he thinks it came from.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  17:56:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
"The gods....." is great.

Part two is worth seeing, also.

Has any one seen "Insignificance"?.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0089343/

"Albert Einstein has come to the city to give a lecture about his work. When he retires to his hotel room later in the evening he has the most unexpected visitor; Marilyn Monroe! And things get more complicated when senator McArthee and her ex-husband show up in the same hotel and the same room..."

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Edited by - Dry_vby on 09/06/2005 17:57:05
Go to Top of Page

soda_farl

43 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  18:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send soda_farl a Private Message
Being John Malkovich was a fantastic movie, and my all time favorite is On the Waterfront.
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  18:28:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message

".....Malkovich." was the beginning of a trilogy, the other two parts being "Adaption" and my favorite of the three "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind."

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

soda_farl

43 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  19:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send soda_farl a Private Message
I had no idea that it was part of a Triology. I saw Adaptation but not Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. I'm in the mood for a gut busting comedy so the next thing on my agenda is "The 40 Year Old Virgin". Allegedly, it's hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  19:09:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

...(as well as pretty much every George Romero movie). Am i obsessed with monsters and zombies?
But, but, but... Knightriders had neither zombies nor monsters. Although the set was nearly destroyed by a tornado during filming.

Seriously, Knightriders is worth a viewing if you're interested in seeing the Arthurian legend (sortof) retold on motorcycles. And/or see Stephen King in one of the most disgusting roles I think he's ever had.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  16:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
Hmmm.....horror movies?

Not my genre, really.

All those entrails and body parts tend to melt into one amorphous heap in my mind.

The top of the pile for me is "Hellraiser" (the original, but all the sequals are worth a look, also).

Peter Jackson started out in horror and "Brain dead" is a great example of full on gore making. He also directed "The frighteners", which is a load of fun.

And a bit out of left field, "The Blair witch project" and it's latter day companion piece "Open water".

Oh, and I forgot to add "The passion of the Christ".

Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Edited by - Dry_vby on 09/07/2005 16:10:04
Go to Top of Page

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  07:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message
OK, Numerous mentions of George Romero but nobody went for the classic.

Night of the Living Dead: 1968 Low budget, black and white, paranoia, racism, and a few zombies thrown in to keep things interesting.

I would also like to put my support behind

Children of the Corn: Homicidal fundamentalist children and Linda Hamilton, what more could you want?

Poltergeist: Written by Stephen Speilberg and Directed by Tobe Hooper. With JoBeth Williams and Craig T Nelson. Scary, funny and for some reason it makes me nostalgic for the early eighties.

Since I have only posted once before I will reintroduce myself on the introduction thread, but I had toss in my two cents first.

You learn something new every g****mn day!
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  08:28:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
If you are all going to start mentioning horror movies, we have to remember the Evil Dead trilogy: The second one is my fave.

Exorcist 1 and 3
Both versions of the Thing.
Videodrome
Jaws
One hour Photo. (yes, I consider this horror. The movie is just uncomfortable to watch.)
Alien

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  10:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  10:27:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I was just going to say that one.

Blazzing Saddles!!

Dances with Wolves

The Hunt for Red October

Die Hard

Rocky (Original Only!!)

Schindler's List (1993 but I don't care)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Goodfellas

Raging Bull

A Clockwork Orange

Full Metal Jacket

Cool Hand Luke

This Is Spinal Tap

And my all time fav. - The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.