New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  20:11:50  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
CNN is reporting that He dies this evening. Watching it on CNN as I post this...

All I can say is.... we are now well and truly fucked.

W gets to put two fullblown insane religious rightwing-nuts on the court.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  20:23:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Link

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050904/ap_on_go_su_co/rehnquist_1

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  20:59:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

CNN is reporting that He dies this evening. Watching it on CNN as I post this...

I don't know about that. Bush is not particularly strong now. I think what we get is a much bigger confirmation battle for his seat, or a centrist.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  02:41:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by Dude

I don't know about that. Bush is not particularly strong now. I think what we get is a much bigger confirmation battle for his seat, or a centrist.

Agree. If there is anything Bush doesn't need at the moment and in the forseeable future, it's a fight in the Senate. He's got more on his plate than he can handle.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  08:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Bush replacing Rehnquist will also, now that I stop to think about it, not cause a big shift in the court. Rehnquist is already one of the guys that would vote to overturn stuff like Roe v Wade.

But seriously. This is George W Bush we are talkin about. He has nothing to lose. And nominating another super conservative will serve his ends quite well. It will get the christian right motivated to vote in 2006, if the senate dems fight back, the republicans will use their media and spin them all as unpatriotic obstructionists.

On the otherhand, if W nominates a centrist, the christian-right will be all over him and republican senators. They could lose votes.

I think he'll nominate a hardcore conservative. The senate dems will roll over, because it doesn't seriously effect the court's direction, and give him his way.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  09:39:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Dude:
But seriously. This is George W Bush we are talkin about. He has nothing to lose. And nominating another super conservative will serve his ends quite well. It will get the christian right motivated to vote in 2006, if the senate dems fight back, the republicans will use their media and spin them all as unpatriotic obstructionists.

On the otherhand, if W nominates a centrist, the christian-right will be all over him and republican senators. They could lose votes.

I think he'll nominate a hardcore conservative. The senate dems will roll over, because it doesn't seriously effect the court's direction, and give him his way.

Again, a long drawn out battle for the seat will not serve republicans. They have placated the RR with Roberts. But they also risk loosing the center, which they need as badly as they need the RR to win future elections. In fact, the RR will still vote republican even if a centrist is chosen. That cannot be said of the centrist voters. I am once again betting on Gonzales or someone like him to be nominated. That was the speculation when it looked like Rehnquist was going to retire months ago leaving two seats open.

The democrats and centrists will not roll over for a further shift to the right. If Bush intends to send up another strong conservative on issues like the right to privecy, I fully expect a sound “borking.” Again, a long drawn out confirmation battle would not be prudent for Bush. Remember that even as the leader of his party, he is still a lame duck. There are many republican jobs at stake if he fumbles this one by forcing a showdown. The Democrats will give him Roberts. They will not give him two Roberts.

Of course, this is all speculation. And Bush does not seem to be particularly rational. But again, he will need to get someone in who can be confirmed quickly, or else.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  12:09:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
The democrats and centrists will not roll over for a further shift to the right. If Bush intends to send up another strong conservative on issues like the right to privecy, I fully expect a sound #8220;borking.#8221;

I wish that I could share your optimism. There are two reasons why I don't. First, the Democrats have created quite a history of rolling over like whipped curs, and second, even if it were somehow possible to keep the DLC types and other Vichy Dems from turning on us at the last minute, exactly what power do they have to prevent a spittle=flecked wingnut from being confirmed? A filibuster? Remember that the Thugs have just enough votes to pull the "nuclear option" and render the filibuster impotent.

What will be interesting to see is whether BushCo, for once in its entire existence, has actually done the sensible thing and planned for the predictable demise of a Supremo by choosing a nominee in advance. At the very least, I would have a short list of candidates drawn up, with the final selection to be "adjust on test".

They've conclusively proven that they're incapable of thinking ahead about such things as wars and natural disasters, but the one area where they seem to have some competence is politicking...

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  12:21:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I dunno. As Bush's numbers drop, the democrats will be more embolden to oppose him, it seems to me. Also, Gonzales was on the short list months ago.

We'll see…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  13:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Rehnquist voted against Roe v Wade anyway. We are no more screwed than before.

While I'm sure I'll regret Robert's appointment later, he is one of the rare halfway qualified appointments in the Bush administration. Most other appointments were very incompetent people except maybe Rove and his overconfidence has got in his way lately.

So while I may not like Roberts' views, I admit he seems at least qualified.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/04/2005 13:11:57
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  14:19:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Bush nominates Roberts to be chief justice.

Hey Kil, you gonna stick by your prediction? hehe.

I'm gonna stand by mine, W is gonna go for it. He is gonna get Roberts in as chief justice and he is gonna nominate another hardcore christian conservative for the 9th spot.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.