Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  03:41:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Official copy? They are all genuine documents. Like I said, it is thought that the first one (without "under God") is the one he actually read, and that the fifth one (the only one of the five with "under God" is a later revision that Lincoln wrote out and signed for the Autograph Leaves. The National Archive online puts forth the transcript of the first, so I imagine that is the "official" one. Though I'm not totally sure what you mean.

If the five "copies" of the document are slightly different, then one of them must be more "correct" or closer to the intended idea than the others.
About being official: The copy used for the speech surely should be held to be more official than the others. However, since one copy is signed and the others are not, then that points more to the signed one to be held as the historically correct and official version.
But then, I don't know the purpose of "Autograph Leaves". What does that mean, and how will that affect the document's status as "official state business"?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  07:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
We can never know which came closest to the "intended idea" since we can't ask Lincoln or read his mind in retrospect, and he never explicitly wrote anywhere which one was used during the actual speech or which one he preferred go down in history as his highest intention. They could reveal different intentions at different times. I personally don't find this interesting enough (balanced against the other stuff I got on my plate now) to get a book and read more about it, and I've already given all my knowledge on this subject out. I encourage anyone else to research it further and share it here.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

CourseKnot
Skeptic Friend

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  07:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CourseKnot a Private Message
I googled it and found the jury is still out insofar as which one is the one he read from the day of the speech. It seems to me that signing a speech would be unusual and particularly since his speech is essentially notes. To sign copies for the record, so to speak, makes sense and you could fix your errors in the rewrite. Alas we'll never know which one was used or even if he changed it while speaking because it wasn't recorded where we could play it back.

Just flying through space with the rest of you...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.