Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  20:24:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Woah, I thought he had a bad history, but never that bad! I just... I just... wow.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  22:02:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

But wait, there's more!

Wow! Kevin Trudeau is a full-blown sociopath...

Check that.

Kevin Trudeau probably has “Narcissistic Personality Disorder.” I was shooting from the hip because sociopaths are lacking in empathy and are often personable. Michelle took a look him, the stuff on him, got excited and went right to NPD in the DSM because he seems to be a perfect fit. She loves abnormal psychology. Here is the description from the DSM-IV-TR.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Note that he only needs to display five out of the nine characteristics to be considered for this disorder…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  00:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Whatever the pathology involved here, I'm beginning to wonder whether we're on the right side of the fence! I mean, check this out. From the "That's not all" link, the guy is savvy enough to wear the crap he's currently pushing ("anti-chaos" attire) color-coordinated with his threads (that are probably worth more than my car) even though he likely believes that stuff no more than I do... along with a diamond the size of a piece of gravel that I wouldn't even want to guess about. Damn, since he's reformed himself and become a (pretty much) legal and "perfectly respectable" flim-flam artist, Trudeau's caught the express-ride up the food chain! Well, I guess that's where the market's at... the public demands snakeoil, and he serves it up with syle.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  02:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite

Whatever the pathology involved here, I'm beginning to wonder whether we're on the right side of the fence!

Oh without a doubt, if I had the personality for it, I'd sell crazy to anyone willing to buy. I'm on this side of the fence because I cannot help but be honest. There are many times when I consider it a great character flaw.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  11:06:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm with you, H. If I get an extra quarter in my change, and hand it back, the checkout clerks look at me as if I'm insane.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  15:38:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

But wait, there's more!

Someone should make a Cesium-amulet for him.
Beside glowing nicely in the dark, I promise it will keep him from developing bacterial pneumonia, as it's energies will seek out those pesky bacteria and take care of them. I also promise that they will take care of mycoplasma as well. He'll never die of a bacterial decease.
Line the pendant with some nice looking blue cobalt 61 to match.
A guift like that should really melt his heart...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/11/2005 15:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  16:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Mab, go to your room.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  22:22:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Someone should make a Cesium-amulet for him...like that should really melt his heart...

Great ideas, but remember, he SELLS it- he doesn't BELIEVE it! And he's slippery... he'll just pay the wife who's theatening divorce to wear it around "so she can give testimonial on this one."

I hear ya, HH and DaveW, but without touching those ever-so-messy areas of ethics and legality, I don't think "crime" (or unethical behavior) necessarily "doesn't pay"- for some, it could... and probably does... pay bigtime. That might be the case for Trudeau. But I'm not convinced that guys like him are "the rule", but are more likely uncommon exceptions. "Playing it straight," or not manipulating and otherwise screwing one's way through life might have a few benefits in the big picture, possibly including any, or all of-

1. Sleeping OK at night.
2. Not leaving a predictable trail of angry people one has "stiffed"
3. Having a personal/family life that isn't a microcosm of (2.)
4. Not having to constantly dodge creditors and/or people seeking unfulfilled promises.
5. Enhancing chances of avoiding of lawyers, courts, and jails.

Of course, should one be "fortunate" enough to be a sociopath, narcissist (what have you, as appears the case with Trudeau) 1,2, 3 are irrelevant, and 4,5 are just "the price of doing business." Before I read this post, I never paid Trudeau much attention, and considered him more of a hired-gun for petty swindlers than a serious crook, since the trash he pushes seems so utterly ridiculous, even upon the most superficial inspection... I used to put him more in the league of an ad in a car accessories magazine I looked at last month that has an exhaust attachment to shoot "up to 20 foot flames" out your tailpipe with the flick of a switch... describing the device as "a MUST for every car and truck!" Ya gotta love it. But looking at Trudeau's lifestyle, and all those dollar signs and zeros, seems a few folks see things differently.

Ron White
Edited by - ronnywhite on 11/11/2005 22:28:47
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2005 :  12:51:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Hey, the book is out and for sale at Barnes and Noble. I skimmed it for a few minutes. It is nothing but a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo that I suspect was purposefully written to be so obscure as to be hard to check. It's the old, 'sound scientific while actually saying nothing' scam. And all thru the book is sales pitch after sales pitch for Internet subscriptions. My guess is those sites contain more of the same. It is truly bad.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  00:47:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Note that he only needs to display five out of the nine characteristics to be considered for this disorder…

OH! How cool. I have it. (at LEAST 5)
Now, what prize do I get?
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  01:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Hey, the book is out and for sale at Barnes and Noble. I skimmed it for a few minutes. It is nothing but a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo that I suspect was purposefully written to be so obscure as to be hard to check. It's the old, 'sound scientific while actually saying nothing' scam. And all thru the book is sales pitch after sales pitch for Internet subscriptions. My guess is those sites contain more of the same. It is truly bad.

Did anyone see Trudeau being interviewed on 'Nightline' a night or so ago? He was extremly evasive. Just kept repeating the same things he does on his infomercal, god-- he looks so slezzy. And he announced he's going to either run for president, the senate or congress. Because he wants a position where he can influence the whole world or some such idea. Want to bet there are more than a few who would vote for him. (judging by the sale of his book) Scary huh?
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  01:27:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I missed the interview but did see the one with Paula Zahn on CNN. The guy is so good at his sales pitch he rivals the Republicans. No matter what the question, give the talking points sales pitch.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  22:08:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
His ruse might seem impressive unless one's seen a couple like him, in which case they'd watch him a few minutes and say "Hey... Trudeau has the same style, mannerisms, and demeanor of [whoevers- they're around] and they're demonstrably just lying sociopaths who'd say anything to anybody if they could get away with it, and make a buck." And really- I think Trudeau's about that bad, too. In fact, some guys like him enjoy the lying aside from the profit, because it makes them feel like they're "outsmarting" all of those people.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  23:15:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Someone should make a Cesium-amulet for him...like that should really melt his heart...

Great ideas, but remember, he SELLS it- he doesn't BELIEVE it! And he's slippery... he'll just pay the wife who's theatening divorce to wear it around "so she can give testimonial on this one."

I hear ya, HH and DaveW, but without touching those ever-so-messy areas of ethics and legality, I don't think "crime" (or unethical behavior) necessarily "doesn't pay"- for some, it could... and probably does... pay bigtime. That might be the case for Trudeau. But I'm not convinced that guys like him are "the rule", but are more likely uncommon exceptions. "Playing it straight," or not manipulating and otherwise screwing one's way through life might have a few benefits in the big picture, possibly including any, or all of-

1. Sleeping OK at night.
2. Not leaving a predictable trail of angry people one has "stiffed"
3. Having a personal/family life that isn't a microcosm of (2.)
4. Not having to constantly dodge creditors and/or people seeking unfulfilled promises.
5. Enhancing chances of avoiding of lawyers, courts, and jails.

Of course, should one be "fortunate" enough to be a sociopath, narcissist (what have you, as appears the case with Trudeau) 1,2, 3 are irrelevant, and 4,5 are just "the price of doing business." Before I read this post, I never paid Trudeau much attention, and considered him more of a hired-gun for petty swindlers than a serious crook, since the trash he pushes seems so utterly ridiculous, even upon the most superficial inspection... I used to put him more in the league of an ad in a car accessories magazine I looked at last month that has an exhaust attachment to shoot "up to 20 foot flames" out your tailpipe with the flick of a switch... describing the device as "a MUST for every car and truck!" Ya gotta love it. But looking at Trudeau's lifestyle, and all those dollar signs and zeros, seems a few folks see things differently.

In the book freak-enomics (great read) there is a section on how this one guy (can't remember his name) made decent money by selling bagels at office buildings. The bagels would sit on a table with a money box and price. the vast majority of people who took a bagel payed for it. (If I explained this very poorly,I'm sorry, I'm not very lucid at this hour.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  12:20:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

...the vast majority of people who took a bagel payed for it...

They had to figure that out from the security camera footage, since the 10% who grabbed whatever money was in the box and walked kept it perpetually empty (joking.)

The occassion of none other than Dr. Trudeau himself being featured on 20/20 last night allows me to add this- the guy is worse than simply a scammer- he's a genuinely bad character. I got back in time to catch the last 10 minutes of the story, maybe, and I turned on the tube to immediately hear of people with tumors that had grown larger, people having seizures, and dying cancer patients suffering because in their desperation, they had read and believed the bunk concocted in the warped imagination of this ethically bankrupt piece of trash. No remorse at all... just endless spin and more lies. I'd say "unbelievable," but sadly, it's not.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.