New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  00:49:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by markie

SubjectMatter, it is not the issue of volition involving change I have issue with; it is the matter of the fundamentality of time itself and of change itself. You are theorizing that the two are inseparable as a tautology, while I theorize that time is a derivative phenomenon from an absolute reality of changeableness.

Consider a photon of light travelling at light speed across the universe. According to relativity, it doesn't experience time. Yet even though it is apparently frozen in time it simulataneously experiences a near infinity of space change.

What I'm saying is that as creatures of time-change progression it is only natural to project our time sensibilities to what absolute and timeless reality might be like. Personally I think we are waaay out of our depth considering things which are 'out of time'.

Mark

I am not theorizing about time. The time you speak of is the scientific notion of measurement of change. This is irrelevant to philosophy, the philosophic notion of time is the qualitative aspect of - precisely - change. In terms of philosophy change and time are inseperable (although not identical) by definition. Claiming that something is 'outside of time' from a philosophic point of view means quite simply that it is unchanging and immaterial (matter is defined in terms of interaction, which must necessarily occur in time and space), perhaps a law such as the principles of logic, or a form. An entity cannot be outside of time as an entity necessarily changes over time.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  05:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
If we teach only science in science class, I can't see what the problem is. Why should we add all kinds of supernatural stuff just because some people want to believe in their existence? There is no evidence of a creator, simply because we don't have a clue as to what this creator is like. If we don't know that, then how can we know what evidence to look for? Or, if we take something from nature and say that it's evidence of a creator, it's just randomly taking stuff and try to say it's some sort of evidence. Evidence for what, exactly?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  14:03:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick

If we teach only science in science class... Evidence for what, exactly?

And we SHOULD teach only science in science class, period. I think a lot of us would LIKE to believe in a benevolent diety, our lives having more meaning than just "dust to dust" etc. but we see no compelling evidence to, if any at all. I'd like to fantasize I have a million bucks in my checking, too, but I know if I take the fantasy too seriously and try to write a check for 100K, harsh reality awaits. That's the problem with fantasies- the bottom always falls through sooner or later. I'd rather accept a less-glorious realty.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

CourseKnot
Skeptic Friend

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  21:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CourseKnot a Private Message
Gees... could we just take ID and evoluttion for HUMANS out of the books? Would that be a solution?

Just flying through space with the rest of you...
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  21:28:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
could we just take ID and evoluttion for HUMANS out of the books?

ID out, yes.

Evolution for humans out, no.

Far to much evidence exists that says humans evolved from other species.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  22:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite

quote:

If we teach only science in science class... Evidence for what, exactly?

And we SHOULD teach only science in science class, period. I think a lot of us would LIKE to believe in a benevolent diety, our lives having more meaning than just "dust to dust" etc. but we see no compelling evidence to, if any at all. I'd like to fantasize I have a million bucks in my checking, too, but I know if I take the fantasy too seriously and try to write a check for 100K, harsh reality awaits. That's the problem with fantasies- the bottom always falls through sooner or later. I'd rather accept a less-glorious realty.

It matters little what anyone wants to believe. I've never been able to understand why religious believers wants to teach that there's more than just the natural world, for example. I mean, isn't everything that exists natural? If ghosts exist (which would surprise me greatly) then they are not supernatural, and the same with various "paranormal" phenomena. Since there is a lack of evidence or reason to support the existence of those things, I suspect that it's mostly just wishful thinking.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  22:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CourseKnot

Gees... could we just take ID and evoluttion for HUMANS out of the books?

Why?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  23:39:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Why?
Because it's a simple way to stop all the arguing. Nevermind what's really true or not... won't anyone think of the children?!?

Seriously, eliminate human evolution from highschool biology classes, and it would remove much of the impetus for getting creationism into biology classes. These people are so insecure in their faith that they're trying to legislate every niggling bit of it, starting with the idea that humans are somehow "special," and not just brilliant primates. If we take human evolution out of the schools, then these insecure parents won't have to worry about someone teaching their kids that they came from dust, and to dust they shall return.

Oooops...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  00:49:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
It matters little what anyone wants to believe. I've never been able to understand why religious believers wants to teach that there's more than just the natural world, for example. I mean, isn't everything that exists natural? If ghosts exist (which would surprise me greatly) then they are not supernatural, and the same with various "paranormal" phenomena.

I have argued before that the words "supernatural" and "paranormal" are words that have no actual meaning.

Because, as you say, if something actually exists then it is part of the natural world.... and therefore not supernatural or paranormal.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  01:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
The Republican Party pushing for teaching ID in school seems to me a little contrary to what they (used to?) stand for (or at least claimed to)... smaller government "which keeps its nose out of the business of citizens" (that's what they like to say about their pro-firearms stances, even now.) Realistically, in no way are they defending the indoctrination of American children who are Muslims, Hindus, American Indians, etc. to the Creationist dogma of THEIR religions- just to the Christian view, and that of only some Christians, at that. Impresses me as sticking their noses in pretty deep, and with no good reason other than pandering to the irrational whimperings of some of their campaign supporters. People fearing a teacher will emotionally traumatize their kids by telling them the truth seems ridiculous to me- I find it hard to believe we're born into this world so psychologically delicate that we need to be fed nonsense in school for our own good at any age.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  04:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
The Republican Party pushing for teaching ID in school seems to me a little contrary to what they (used to?) stand for (or at least claimed to)... smaller government "which keeps its nose out of the business of citizens" (that's what they like to say about their pro-firearms stances, even now.)

Small government, fiscal responsibility, strong privacy protections, less regulation of the free market, reducing welfare for individuals AND companies....

All used to be republican values. None of which are really advocated much by many republicans these days.

Mostly, I think, because they have found a new voting population that is easily manipulated by some simple gay-bashing and a few emotional appeals to "values". i.e. white fundamentalist christians.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  13:53:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Small government, fiscal responsibility, strong privacy protections, less regulation of the free market, reducing welfare for individuals AND companies....

All used to be republican values. None of which are really advocated much by many republicans these days......

It's all in the image, my dear. Ask any Republican and you're likely to find they still buy the image.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  05:49:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
http://www.ucomics.com/patoliphant/2005/10/05/

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  11:44:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

quote:

Why?
Because it's a simple way to stop all the arguing. Nevermind what's really true or not... won't anyone think of the children?!?

Seriously, eliminate human evolution from highschool biology classes, and it would remove much of the impetus for getting creationism into biology classes. These people are so insecure in their faith that they're trying to legislate every niggling bit of it, starting with the idea that humans are somehow "special," and not just brilliant primates. If we take human evolution out of the schools, then these insecure parents won't have to worry about someone teaching their kids that they came from dust, and to dust they shall return.

Oooops...

One thing that bothers me is that these people are so dishonest. I mean, they are trying to legislate their pseudoscience into science class. They know why they need to go this route, and so do we; their "theories" wouldn't survive the usual scientific method. They probably know that their beliefs are all wrong, otherwise they would be more secure about them. Sometimes they are so desperate that they're using arguments such as "I don't like the idea that we are animals" since such ideas make bullied outcasts take a rifle to school and start shooting people.

I wonder why we can't see human life as special even when we know more and more about our ancestors? If the truth itself downgrades our value, then doesn't that tell us something about ourselves? Do we have to lie to ourselves, and do so knowingly, in order to appreciate ourselves? Isn't that a terrible insult to the real god (not that I believe in any god), that we rather believe in our own version of things? If the universe is the creation of god, then I think the only way to understand it is to actually study it and accept the answers, whatever they may be.

Edited by - Maverick on 10/09/2005 11:46:00
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  14:11:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I don't think that knowing more about our close relationship with the great apes have dehumanized us. On the contrary, it has bought them closer to us. More and more laws of animal protection are passed. I see this as a good thing.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.