Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  07:59:53  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/26/evolution.debate.ap/index.html

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:32:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
from the article:
quote:
"All the Dover school board did was allow students to get a glimpse of a controversy that is really boiling over in the scientific community," Thompson said.

Oh, fer crying out, what freaking controversy???

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3060139
This probably ranks in the top ten most inane things I've read regarding creation/evolution yet.

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Edited by - ocheewah on 09/26/2005 10:01:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  12:41:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
For all your Dover needs, see the Panda's Thumb.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  13:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And National Public Radio.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  18:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
I've noticed in articles [and in the Nova series about Evolution a few years ago], that the kids quoted in favor of teaching ID &/or creationism always seem to have a very sturdy grasp of the arguments in favor of creationism - including the kids who are speaking in favor of teaching these things in public school science classes. Seems to me that these kids are fully versed in ID/creationism, what more of it can they be taught in school? Espeically when you consider the time crunches so many schools face trying to cover all the things they are already required to teach, why should they waste the time covering a subject with which these kids are already intimately familiar?

trish
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  04:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trishran

I've noticed in articles [and in the Nova series about Evolution a few years ago], that the kids quoted in favor of teaching ID &/or creationism always seem to have a very sturdy grasp of the arguments in favor of creationism - including the kids who are speaking in favor of teaching these things in public school science classes. Seems to me that these kids are fully versed in ID/creationism, what more of it can they be taught in school? Espeically when you consider the time crunches so many schools face trying to cover all the things they are already required to teach, why should they waste the time covering a subject with which these kids are already intimately familiar?

But they don't want to teach those kids. They want to teach the other kids, those who actually grok biology, to think like them. They want the political power that will come from this.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  15:52:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Just watched a segemnt on MSNBC'c Abrahm's Report featuring Steven Meyer (the guy who subverted the editor of a formerly prestigious biological journal in order to get his paper published there) and Euginie Scott (of NCSE).

Let me just say, Meyer is an arrogant prick. He just wouldn't shut up, he talked over Scott and Abrahms both, refused to actually answer any questions, etc...

Atleast Abrahms stood up to him, called him on his nonsense. He should have just shut the guy's mic off, but all in all he did a fair job of dealing with him.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

DR_C

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  00:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DR_C a Private Message
Hello all,
The Pennsylvania ACLU is putting up reports on the trial on their blog, if anyone is interested (and I know some of you are). Here's the link.

http://aclupa.blogspot.com/

It's gonna be an interesting few weeks.

Edited to correct my late night bad grammer.

Fundie: "I believe God created me in one day."
Bill: "Looks like he rushed it."

The late Bill Hicks
Edited by - DR_C on 09/30/2005 00:09:13
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  06:55:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DR_C

Hello all,
The Pennsylvania ACLU is putting up reports on the trial on their blog, if anyone is interested (and I know some of you are). Here's the link.

http://aclupa.blogspot.com/

It's gonna be an interesting few weeks.

Edited to correct my late night bad grammer.

Thanks for the link Dr_C.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.