Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Not Always Either / Or: Creation - Evolution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRe8

9 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  02:12:28  Show Profile  Visit CRe8's Homepage Send CRe8 a Private Message
I'll link to the article this time:
http://realityspoken.com/either.htm

www.realityspoken.com

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  03:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oy veh, so many words in such tiny font. I cut and pasted it into a Reply, then Previewed it -- the only way for ancient eyeballs peering blearly from behind cheap specticles to read it.

Interesting text, though. It seems to pretty much cover a skeptic's phiosophy. For example, I am an atheist, but I'll concede that although the evidence is not there, there exists a chance that there is some sort of supreme being floating around somewhere. As to it having any influence on our increasingly shabby, little planet, that's another matter.

Which brings up the question of: if the ToE is disproven, does it mean that one or more of the various gods worshiped by millions is responsible for human origins? The answer is: certainly not. As there is no proof for God, it follows that there might well be no proof for some other, natural force. At least, not yet.

Fortunatly, or otherwise depending upon how you look at it, the Theory of Evolution is so well supported by emperical evidence that it is highly unlikely for it to be disproved, the bullshit from the ID creationists not withdtanding.

Hominid evolution's family tree, or rather; tangled bush, becomes better documented every day and the Cretaceous Kitty has yet to be found.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  08:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Huh. An article in which the problems of false dichotomies are discussed, without once mentioning the term "false dichotomy." Kinda rambles, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  16:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I really liked that paragraph from Hume on miracles:

quote:
David Hume (1711-1776): The plain consequence is (and it is a general maxim worthy of our attention), “That no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of a such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which endeavors to establish.” When anyone tells me that he saw a dead man restored to life, I immediately consider with myself whether it be more probable, that this person should either deceive or be deceived, or that the fact, which he relates, should really have happened. I weigh the one miracle against the other; and according to the superiority, which I discover, I pronounce my decision, and always reject the greater miracle. If the falsehood of his testimony would be more miraculous than the event which he relates; then, and not till then, can he pretend to command my belief or opinion. ([1758] 1952, p. 491)

But I also got the impression from the article that the author feels Intelligent Design is the middle ground between the "creationism/evolution" dichotomy. Uh-uh. ID is creationism.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/11/2005 16:37:48
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  19:38:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, it's clear that the author finds a universe without a god to be more "miraculous" than a universe with a god. Since that god probably did something, why not ID? Maybe he's only talking "cosmological ID," in which the "design" is only purported to be in the laws of physics. Who knows? The author's position is not clearly articulated.

But he did choose CRe8 ("create") as a user name here on the SFN. What does that tell us?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  19:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Ah, I didn't realize the poster and the author of the article were the same person. Well, if his other threads are any gauge, CRe8's position on ID will remain unclear, as it seems he never returns to answer criticisms or questions on the articles he posts.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/11/2005 19:52:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.