Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  16:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
Actually William Shatner made his first album way back in the 60's.
No I didn't have any of them.
Leonard Nimoy had at least 4 albums.
I have to admit I did have a couple of his.
Nichelle Nicols made some albums as well.
Don't know about the other characters on the show.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  21:06:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stargirl

Actually William Shatner made his first album way back in the 60's.
No I didn't have any of them.
Leonard Nimoy had at least 4 albums.
I have to admit I did have a couple of his.
Nichelle Nicols made some albums as well.
Don't know about the other characters on the show.

Huh? Did this belong in another post? Sorry, read ronnywhites post, and completely missed the whole thing about his comments regarding Shatner attempting to sing. My error.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Edited by - Trish on 10/20/2005 21:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  21:17:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite

Example noted simply used the point of a simple biological characteristic (skin color) making our natural human differences clash in a comical fashion with "requirements" to encourage "equality"... their was no racial bigotry implied by "American Spectator" (even though I fundamentally disagree with most of the mag's stances) and certainly not myself. I think references to IQ and other "differences" is angry malarkey by hateful people... that's a very narrow view of intellect, and there's a great deal more that goes into functionality than things like that. And yes, there are a great many extremely capable Blacks, and moreover, Blacks who are good people I'd prefer to share a world with than the hatemongers to spew racial nonsense and other scapegoating, whatever form it's packaged in.

I did kinda figure that was the reason for the absurd commentary. No implication was intended on my part toward a publication about which I do not know enough to form an opinion. Remember that Eugenics were a highly publicized study area and cause of much reasoning against racial integration, after all it was evolutionary in nature, right? There are a great many exceptionally capable people, skin color, sex, sexual orientation, etc, doesn't matter at all.

quote:
Yes, even a friend that was "kicked out" of the military (I'm not sure why, because he sounded like a helluva soldier) spoke highly of the Army, and talked of the fairness of the testing and evaluation system. He was a Caucasion, and mentioned that working in the diverse environment of people the military provided, and travel, made him understand the basic commonalities of people of different cultural backgrounds.... an opportunity fror personal growth.

Yeah. I've known a few that were kicked out in the last few years, that most likely would not have been kicked many years ago. Things change, unfortunately, the combination of thinking and skills required of the military hasn't, but military thinking has. (I realize this doesn't make much sense, but it's the only way I can state the situation.)

quote:
That's part of the reason many Blacks were attracted to it in decades past- they could get a fair shake.

That's part of the reason that many women went in as well.

quote:
BTW first time I tried a chat room... pretty cool.

Was glad to see you.

quote:
As an aside, I've been worrying about global warming, bin Laden, the conservative right... and just when I didn't think we could handle another major threat, someone on the chat board dropped another one on me- William Shatner is singing now. Yep, Captain Kirk.[quote]

Singing or attempting to sing.

[quote]At first I thought it must have "slipped through the cracks" on us after 911 or something, then I realized the sinister brilliance of this- we're going to use Shat as a bargaining chip. See, Kim of N. Korea is appreciative of fine music and cinema... N. Korea starts playing with plutonium again, we jam their airways with a "warning shot" of Iron Butterfly/Donny and Marie Osmond marathons. Kim softens up, the knees start to buckle. If he holds, we drop the Shat doing Dylan on him... a 24-7 carpet bombing. Realizing a public revolt is soon forthcoming, it's back to the bargaining tables.

Wait a minute - Iron Butterfly? What's wrong with Iron Butterfly? Not sure which is worse, William Shatner trying to sing or Dylan trying to sing.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  16:51:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Seriously, I heard Shatner sing on TV at least once, and I thought he was OK, maybe "better-than-OK"... I'm just talking garbage. Idunno about Spock, but Nichols sung on the series, and she was good! RE Iron Butterfly, I really like a lot of stuff from the 60's early 70's (Led Zep, Hendrix, The Who, Dylan) but IB impressed me as that trendy "acid rock" noisy stuff... it was "cool," but Jimmy Paige was insightful enough to figure out that the kids actually hated it.

Regarding "Eugenics" and such, that kind of trash has been around for ages in some form or another, and probably always will be (but I hope not... maybe the quality and maturity of society will improve, yet if this is to happen, I don't think "religion" is going to be the key to it, as current political thought seems to dictate.) With advances in biotechnology, people might practice "personal eugenics" of a sort before long... a very gray and disturbing area, indeed. I argued with a cleric about that kind of thing (and a lot of other stuff) a couple of years ago and wrote about it. Personally, I thought their non-secular views were warped, but in fairness, they thought my agnostic views were, too. I still have the page up if anyone's curious.

section- "Technological Foresight"
http://religion.freewebpage.org/2.htm

But getting back to the threat at hand, pondering all of this, with our international reputation suffering from our recent military escapades, I won't sleep well tonight knowing Bush might have the "Donny and Marie Codes" or "Osmond Brothers Codes" to punch into the "football" right now. I think the Bush administration knows better than to subject innocent civilians to that... our allies would be enraged... I don't know whether the Geneva Convention covers it, but a saturation bombing with the music of The Osmonds would be pretty sadistic.

Ron White
Edited by - ronnywhite on 10/22/2005 01:30:38
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  21:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Yeah, well, I was a kid in the 70s and into the 80s. Anything was better than Disco!

Well, at least since evolution was first applied to social psychology. A mis-application of a concept if ever one existed.

While saturation bombing with the Osmonds is sadistic, it's probably a bit more civilized than saturation bombing with explosives. Though saturation bombing seems to have at least gone the way of most obsolete technology. I worry too about this Bush administration. The previous Bush administration at least had the foresight to realize that our only objective was to remove Iraqi troops for Kuwait. At least we had a tangible objective. That is what frightens me most about the objective of this particular military action. It's a war against a concept, not an enemy. The same held true in Vietnam, it was a war against communism, a concept not an enemy. Of course, the 'enemy' is anyone shooting at you. This war is different again from Vietnam in terrain, more urban warfare, more likelihood of innocents caught in any crossfire. Again, the enemy is faceless, combatants are not easily identified. It's a frightening thing.

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  06:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
I spoke with a woman when I was doing my laundry months back, who told me her daughter was coming home after losing her hand in Iraq from some kind of an explosion- a mine, I think. Others were killed. Whereas the young girl was fortunate to survive, such stories are saddening. There are similarities to the Vietnam War, and although I hope otherwise, I see little to indicate there will be a beneficial outcome anytime soon, if at all. I read an article describing public polls that suggested the military is the last great American institution that the public still has confidence in... they are competent and capable, generally do things right, and have a degree of integrity- responding with honesty to criticism, making conscientious and direct efforts for positive change when cited. Over the decades, public confidence in government, business, and financial organizations has severely eroded. Only harm to our nation can come of directing our military at misguided, unwinnable, or pointless endeavors for which it is not designed- such as implementing "police states" in troubled regions where divided populations have endured wars of great attrition, brutal dictatorships, and social turmoil for centuries as a way of life, with many inhabitants resenting our presence. I hope I'm wrong, but it appears that we can "stabilize" Iraq to some nominal level of (in)security- at great human and monetary cost- yet as soon as we leave, the prospects of the Iraqis independantly sustaining it "don't look good."

Ron White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.