New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  07:22:36  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
If this article holds any truth, Harriet Miers is no more than a rightwing nut trying to pose as a moderate; an ant lion in the service of her masters..

From the Wall Street Journal:
quote:
Judgment Call
Did Christian conservatives receive assurances that Miers would oppose Roe v. Wade?

Monday, October 17, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

Two days after President Bush announced Harriet Miers's Supreme Court nomination, James Dobson of Focus on the Family raised some eyebrows by declaring on his radio program: "When you know some of the things that I know--that I probably shouldn't know--you will understand why I have said, with fear and trepidation, that I believe Harriet Miers will be a good justice."

Mr. Dobson quelled the controversy by saying that Karl Rove, the White House's deputy chief of staff, had not given him assurances about how a Justice Miers would vote. "I would have loved to have known how Harriet Miers views Roe v. Wade," Mr. Dobson said last week. "But even if Karl had known the answer to that--and I'm certain that he didn't because the president himself said he didn't know--Karl would not have told me that. That's the most incendiary information that's out there, and it was never part of our discussion."

It might, however, have been part of another discussion. On Oct. 3, the day the Miers nomination was announced, Mr. Dobson and other religious conservatives held a conference call to discuss the nomination. One of the people on the call took extensive notes, which I have obtained. According to the notes, two of Ms. Miers's close friends--both sitting judges--said during the call that she would vote to overturn Roe.

The call was moderated by the Rev. Donald Wildmon of the American Family Association. Participating were 13 members of the executive committee of the Arlington Group, an umbrella alliance of 60 religious conservative groups, including Gary Bauer of American Values, Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention, Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, Paul Weyrich of the Free Congress Foundation and the Rev. Bill Owens, a black minister. Also on the call were Justice Nathan Hecht of the Texas Supreme Court and Judge Ed Kinkeade, a Dallas-based federal trial judge.

Quite a precious collection of fascists, eh? Anybody these wankers support should rejected out of hand, if not indited.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  08:53:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
[aside note]
Damn F, I absolutely love your pictures.
[/aside note]

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2005 :  15:19:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Told ya she was the church lady.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  12:39:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
More fuel for the fire:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4963967

quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers pledged support in 1989 for a constitutional amendment banning abortions except when necessary to save the life of the mother, according to material given to the Senate on Tuesday.

As a candidate for the Dallas city council, Miers also signaled support for the overall agenda of Texans United for Life -- agreeing she would support legislation restricting abortions if the Supreme Court ruled that states could ban abortions and would participate in "pro-life rallies and special events."

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 10/18/2005 12:41:17
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  01:45:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The news keeps having folks say she'll be confirmed as if it's a given. I find that very hard to believe. Al Frankin on Air America quoted some of the junk she wrote for the 'news letter' of the Texas Bar Association, the President's message column. If that's an example of her work, she's a terrible writer.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  03:54:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Previously, before all the shit came down, I thought she'd be in in a walk, as did Roberts (who at least has some scholrarly qualifications). I don't think that now -- this Senate being what it is, I make no more foolish predictions.

I've read that she holds some property in, I think Dallas, that she's been deadbeating her taxes on. And some of her writings reminds me of much of what my daughters blithered at age 14. They write pretty damned well now, and the younger is getting professional with it.

Even the religious crap aside, no jurist material here, I think, but that might or might not hold up her confirmation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.