SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  10:17:21  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
I just ran across this: On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:
An Empirical Study

quote:
Abstract
Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We theorize that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

I'm not so sure about the validity of their experimental setup, but they've definitely proved two things:

1. Some people really do have too much time on their hands.

2. You can get into MIT and still not know how to spell "aluminum".

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  14:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

I just ran across this: On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:
An Empirical Study

quote:
Abstract
Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We theorize that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

I'm not so sure about the validity of their experimental setup, but they've definitely proved two things:

1. Some people really do have too much time on their hands.

2. You can get into MIT and still not know how to spell "aluminum".

Small suprise. It's long been known amongst those who have thought it through that modern, commercial foils are entirly ineffective. The reason is that they are not made of tin at all, but aluminum. To block the evil mind probes of government, you must have at least some tin.

My own foil hat is made from automotive wheel weights, melted, fluxed, and poured out in a flat sheet. It is then worked down to the proper thickness with hammers and shaped to fit the head.

Wheel weights contain a small percentage of tin and a lot of antimony to harden it. This, combined with it's base of lead, effectivly protects not only from government intrusion into your plots, schemes and erotic fantasies, but mugging and atomic attacks as well.

I strongly urge everyone to throw out that aluminum nonsense and go with wheel weights. You can't be too cautious....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  18:04:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
filthy:
I strongly urge everyone to throw out that aluminum nonsense and go with wheel weights. You can't be too cautious....

I dunno filthy. I've been using aluminum foil hats for years and nothing has ever happened to me. Plus, they are cheap and as easy to make as a paper airplane…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  20:40:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
It's not what you make the hat from, it's the proper placement of the coat hangers that makes all the difference!!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  21:48:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Come on... obviously, they stopped using those dishes to beam thoughts into our heads after cell phones got popular- no need- the antenna's inches away. I thought you guys were skeptics.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  23:13:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
quote:
Come on... obviously, they stopped using those dishes to beam thoughts into our heads after cell phones got popular- no need- the antenna's inches away. I thought you guys were skeptics.

Naw. Cell phones are too easy to trace. Besides, satellites provide much better wide area coverage.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  23:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Anyone who thinks the government doesn't already have this whole country powdered with mind-controlling nanobots is living in fantasy land.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/11/2005 23:22:35
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  01:44:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Anyone who thinks the government doesn't already have this whole country powdered with mind-controlling nanobots is living in fantasy land.

Impresses me as an extremely sane assumption... and obviously they're activating and directing them with additives to our water supply that plug-into nanoreceptor sites. Great. Now I have to start buying that expensive bottled water, and hope I can find a brand that's not in-on-it.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.