Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  15:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The gist of this game ought to be pretty obvious, given a few examples...

Who was the better actor? John Travolta as Vinnie Barbarino or John Travolta as Terl?

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker or Mark Hamill as Lt. Jennings?

Carl Weathers as Action Jackson or Carl Weathers as Chubbs Peterson?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  17:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Let's see if I get the game rules straight...
Should I voluteer something like this?

William Shatner as Captain Kirk or William Shatner as Stan Fields

LeVar Buron as Kunta Kinte or LeVar Burton as Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 11/11/2005 17:44:51
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  17:54:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I'm not entirely sure I do get the gist of this game.

Is the object to pose match-ups that are actually tough to decided, like Harrison Ford as Han Solo vs. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones?

Or, as it seems to me from most of your examples, to produce no contest match-ups like Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter vs. Anthony Hopkins as Don Diego de la Vega?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  17:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I can tell you the Shatner one was right on. Having only dim memories of Roots, I can't say there's a good contrast in the characters for the Burton one, though.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  18:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
So you're after something like

Keanu Reeves as Ted Logan or Keanu Reeves as Donnie Barksdale

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  18:57:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Hmm. So are you saying the match-up should be something more like Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield vs. Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  19:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
But are we just suggesting actors/roles, or actually picking? Or did I miss something entirely....
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  19:44:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Cune, the match-ups are entirely rhetorical, for purposes of generating humor.

Like Robert Stack as Eliot Ness versus Robert Stack as Rex Kramer.

And H., I would have done Samuel L. Jackson as "Hold-Up Man" vs. him as Mace Windu, especially since he gets his butt kicked by Eddie Murphy.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  19:51:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
And H., I would have done Samuel L. Jackson as "Hold-Up Man" vs. him as Mace Windu, especially since he gets his butt kicked by Eddie Murphy.

Hehe, I still don't think I get it. I was going for opposites of moral character. (Which I got from Dr. M's example of Keanu as a FBI agent vs. a killer). But now it seems like it should be bad assed characters vs. wimpy ones.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  20:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
First, H., you're confusing Keanu in Point Break and in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Ted Logan). An easy mistake to make, but Mab was contrasting the evil killer with the lovable-but-stupid slacker.

And Vinnie was supposed to be a bad-ass in Welcome Back, Kotter. The joke behind that Travolta match-up was supposed to be that despite 25 years, going from hero to villain, Travolta has worked in some pretty stupid acting jobs (Battlefield Earth has already been nominated for "Worst Film of the 21st Century").

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  06:14:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Well, then we have...

Tim Robbins as Norville Barnes and Tim Robbins as Oliver Lang.

Tim Robbins only made 4 movies in between.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  13:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
or...

Maurice Gosfield as Private Duane Doberman on The Phil Silvers Show vs Maurice Gosfield as the voice of Benny the Ball on the cartoon show "Top Cat".

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  06:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Clancy Brown as the Kurgan or Clancy Brown as the voice of Eugene Krabs?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  07:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I recognise Kurgan right off, but who's Eugene Krabs?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  11:02:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
So, like Edward Norton in American History X, VS. Edward Norton in Keeping the Faith?

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  11:08:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I recognise Kurgan right off, but who's Eugene Krabs?

Character in an American cartoon, Spongebob Squarepants. He portrays a greedy, yet lovable restuaranteur. Yes, I have a 3.5 year old child, why do you ask?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.