Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  18:06:38  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
During the busy days this summer when my car was at the workshop for service, and I was setting things up for my trip to London, I forgot to take the car to the "Roadworthiness Test-station" (I haven't a clue what the "proper" term for it is in UK or USA) for the annual checkup. It was an unusually busy summer and it just seems to have slipped my mind.

At some point this autumn, my car's roadwothiness licence expired, and I should have gotten a notice about it. This didn't happen though, and a month ago I got the usual anual road-tax bill, and nothing in it indicated that something was amiss.

Today, right smack in the middle of the closest major city (150k citizens) a police car pulls up behind me with flashing blue lights. A bit comfused I pulled over thinking "ok, I was a biiit heavy on the pedal, but not that much...". The police asked for my licence, had me take the alcohol test, then informed me that I wasn't allowed to drive the car, because its licence had been revoked. I went "what???"
He explained that my car was flagged but his computer hadn't any note of the reason, and that all that was needed was a visit to a control station for a checkup. "But that shouldn't be a problem, considering what a nice car you have..."
All I could say was "Yeah, thanks. I take extra care of it, I can't believe what have happened. There must be some mistake."
"Well mistake or not, you've been caught driving the car illegally. Will you sign that you accept the ticket, or do we have to take this to the court?"
At that point I figured I wouldn't have a chance in hell in court, since I had a nagging feeling that indeed it was my own fault forgetting the annual checkup, so I accepted the ticket.
Even during this discussion, the police (they always travel in pair while on duty) never turned off that stinking flashing blue light that attracted everyone's gaze.
Finally as he was done with me, he informed me that with the state of the car, I may only drive it straight to the control-station, or the closest licenced Peugeot repair-shop. Damn. 25km from home, and no control-station in reach with drive-in service. I picked one anyway and drove off, and once I was out of sight, turned home to park the car in the garage. After waiting a while at the phone I managed to secure an appointment the day after at a control-station in the opposite direction from home. If I get pulled over again, I can always say I was on my way to the control station and ran out of gas, and have to leave the car over the night.

Ah, well... The ticket was "only" $75 (~60Euro), I expected more so I suppose it wasn't the disaster I thought at first.
Sorry for bothering you guys with this. I just had to went some steam...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  18:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
I forgot to take the car to the "Roadworthiness Test-station" (I haven't a clue what the "proper" term for it is in UK or USA)...
In the U.S., vehicle requirements vary by state. In Ohio, where I'm from originally, cars were subjected to an "E-Check" (Environmental Check) every two years that measured the content of the car's exhaust--this is specifically an air quality law. If it went over any of the tested limits, you were forced to take the car into a shop and have it repaired before returning for testing.

If a cop pulled you over on the freeway and he feels the car is in really bad shape, he can give you a quick road inspection (testing such things as whether the lights and horn work, etc.), and impound your car if it fails in enough categories. This is pretty rare, though.

In Virginia where I now live, I am required to get a "safety inspection," which goes over the actual road-worthiness of the vehicle, such as brakes, shocks, fluid leaks, etc. Some counties in Virginia require both an E-Check and a safety inspection. As far as I know, California has the toughest vehicle standards of any state.

And sorry about your luck, Mab. Tickets are always the blues.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/15/2005 18:28:06
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  19:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Tough luck. I got a fine for running an amber light here in New Zealand a few months back. My simple excuse was that it was snowing heavily (very unusual around here) and that I did not want to hit the brakes, just in case this made me slide into the intersection. Most swedes would probably agree with me - YOU DON'T SLAM YOUR BRAKES WHEN IT'S SLIPPY. Didn't cut me any slack over here, though. Bastards.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  19:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Coulda' been worse (more expensive), Mab. Don't know what police procedures are like in that part of the woods, but out here in California they might have towed the car (have to get a taxi, pay wrecker and impound yard exorbidant fees to get car back etc.) Emmissions laws have helped clean-up the air in the big cities here in California, but they've also been a "real boom" for the auto wrecking yards, since repairs to make a car blow clean-enough exhaust to "keep it legal" (California has the toughest standards in the US) can be more-expensive than the value of the car would justify.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  22:29:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
In Colorado, you can't register your vehicle if your air check isn't done. You've 30 days grace on your registration but after that 30 day grace period if you're pulled over it's up to the cop whether to let you go or tow your car. Typically they will base their decision on your driving history which they can pull up on their in car computers. The only other option you have at that point is a (for $5USD) 3 day transport license to get your vehicle to and from the shop or between two locations legally.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  23:13:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
That sucks, Dr. Mabuse!

But at least you gave me a reminder.
As I don't use my pice of junk so much its easy to forget.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  00:48:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Sorry to hear that!
Here, in California we have permits on our cars for parking in our neighborhood. I have a "D" permit which allows me to park in front of my house, and in other "D" areas around town. All parked cars on my street must face East on the South side of the street and West on the North side of the street. Disobey and you get a ticket as well as a fine. Cars must pass annual smog tests, and have stickers on the rear bumpers to register every year. If a sticker has expired we too can be pulled over and fined. I have two cars, an Acura which still must pass the emissions test every year (and has), and an fine old BMW which we keep in the garage and is exempt.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  01:58:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ode To My Car By Adam Sandler

Here we go

Piece of shit car
I got a piece of shit car
That fuckin' pile of shit
Never gets me very far

My car's a big piece of shit
'Cause the shocks are fucking shot
And my seatbelt's fucking broken
I got to tie it in a knot
(It's a piece of shit)

I can't see through the windshield
'Cause it's got a big fucking' crack
And the interior smells real bad
'Cause my friend puked in the back
(It's a piece of shit)
(Piece of shit car)
Piece of shit car
(He's got a piece of shit car)
It sucks royal dick
(That fuckin' pile of shit)
100% crap
(Never gets him very far)
Oh fuck you car

It's got no CD player, it only got the 8-track
Whoever designed my car can lick my sweaty nut sack
(They can bite his ass too)
And I got no fuckin' brakes
I'm always way out of control
Eleven times a day I hear "Hey, watch it asshole"
(You fuckin' piece of shit)

(Piece of shit car)
I got piece of shit car
(He got a piece of shit car)
Diesel gas sucks my ass
(That fuckin' pile of shit)
That pile of metal shit
(Never gets him very far)
Oh what the fuck did I do
What the fuck did I do
What the fuck did I do
To get stuck with you
You're too wide for drive-thru
And you smell like the shoe
But I'm too broke to buy something new
Oh fuck me

Well the engine likes to flood
The car always fuckin' stalls
And the seat cushion's got a big rip
So a spring always pokes the balls
(Ouch, ouch, ouch)
Plus the door locks are busted
I gotta use a fucking coat hanger
(What a pain in his ass)
And if a girlie sees my car
There's no chance I'll ever bang her
(He never ever gets da pussy)
Hey shut up
(Piece of shit car)
You piece of shit car
You piece of shit car
(Piece of shit car)
Bald fuckin' tires
(You got a piece of shit car)
No rearview fucking mirror
(Piece of shit car)
Seven different colors
Fucking rag for a gas cap
(Piece of shit car)
Tailpipe makes the sparks fly everywhere
(Piece of shit car)
(Piece of shit car)
Oh the whole town thinks I'm a loser
Cabby give me a push
(Piece of shit car...)

I have two piles of crap, a redneck-mobile (3/4 ton pickup) and a battered Chevy Blazer, both of nearly 20 years vintage. Both function well enough and manage to squeak through NC's annual inspection each year. I doubt if CA would allow either across the state line....

Bad luck, Doc, but shit, as they say, happens. Take a big drink of cheap whiskey and chalk it up to experience, is the best advice I can give.

Sometimes I am truly amazed and indeed, a little appalled, at the lengths we will go in aid of our vehicles.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  02:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks
Most swedes would probably agree with me - YOU DON'T SLAM YOUR BRAKES WHEN IT'S SLIPPY.
Why that's half the fun!
When else would you get the chance to power-slide around the corners? I just LOVE playing with the car in the winter, however it's not that fun then you have a front wheel drive car. I miss my old (but cool, and modified) Volvo.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  02:44:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
In Sweden the controls are quite rigorus.

They check the entire car for exessive rust: chassis, critical body parts, suspension, breaklines. Odometer, electrical system including lights. Exhaust. Function of the suspension and steering, including all bearings and joints, breakes, wheel-bearings.
Seatbelts, doors (opening and closing), any leakage (oil and gas), tyres...

All these things are required to get checked anually, if the car is older than 5 years.
There are more stuff I can't think of right now, I bet Starman and Maverick, and others can fill in the list...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  02:46:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Ode To My Car By Adam Sandler

Thanks filthy! That did brighten up my day!
I downloaded the mp3, and going to have a listen later.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  07:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Few things. Inspections of automobiles are on a state by state basis. Here in Illinois, you have to have an emissions test if you live within 100 miles of a major city. It's renewable in 4 years for a new car, as the car ages, the frequency of the emission testing increase. I'm in the 2 year range with the 1992 Olds Delta 88 Royale I own. There is no roadworthness test because we're flatlanders. Low probability of going parabolic if something breaks.

Good thing for me, too. On the 21st of October, I replaced the brake master cylander. As is normal with this kind of repair when the pressures came up to what they should have been, a brake line failed. There are a few things that I will do with brakes and some I don't feel comfortable with. Replacing brake lines was one of them. So I took it to the local jackals..... I mean repair shop for an estimate. To replace 6 feet of brake line they wanted $270 US and that's if they didn't break anything. Kept harping about a "dealer only" part that might break (glorified brake line junction). $40-50 for a new wheel cylander if the bleeder valve wouldn't open. (It wouldn't. $12 part to replace +$3 for the short brake line I managed to break while replacing the wheel cylander.) After three hours effort, I get the brake line replaced only to find another failure in the break line. Next job for this coming weekend is replacing the 8 feet of brake line in between the "dealer only" part and the ABS unit.

I'm beginning to hate GM.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

CourseKnot
Skeptic Friend

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  10:06:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CourseKnot a Private Message
The ticket price for an uninspected vehicle runs over $120

Just flying through space with the rest of you...
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  13:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The reason for the rigorous testing in Sweden is to eliminate all mechanical failures in traffic. It's extremely rare that fatal accidents in Sweden are material-related (other than tyres, for obvious reasons). The net result is that we have about 55 deaths per million citizens per year. That's for a country where 80% of the population age 16 to 84 years old have a driving licence.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  15:53:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
(ahem) Here in Michigan they dont like to restrict anything vehicular as it is our fading lifeblood, we have no emmissions/roadworthiness testing.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  16:32:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

(ahem) Here in Michigan they dont like to restrict anything vehicular as it is our fading lifeblood, we have no emmissions/roadworthiness testing.

They just introduced emmisions tests in New Zealand. If your car visibly puts out smoke for more than 10 seconds, you might just get fined.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds.