New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  18:30:24  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
"What I Believe" on NPR is an occasional personal essay submitted by listeners. It's based on a earlier radio program from the fifties.
I just happened by the NPR site just now and notice Penn, of the Penn and Teller fame, added his two cents....

There is No God
by Penn Jillette

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5015557

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Randy on 11/20/2005 18:31:13

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  18:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
The William F. Buckley about beleiving in god made me laugh...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4656595

Same old tired arguments....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  19:11:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

The William F. Buckley about beleiving in god made me laugh...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4656595

Same old tired arguments....

I remember hearing that.....religilogic.....several weeks ago.
(tip-o-the-hat to dude!)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  19:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Buckley, for all intensive purposes, is a politician. In an inteview, when asked who the smartest man he'd ever known was (for example) he replied "Ronald Reagan." What Buckley actually believes (as with many other political personalities) is anybody's guess. He's had a few interesting rants here and there... aside from that, I've never been able to figure out why he, singularly, is the only writer I've ever encountered who seems to feel the English language is inadequate to express his messages, with resorting to Latin being necessary (???) 30% of the time.

Oh ya, almost fergot. Religillogical is a good one... we'd have to ask Buckley to be sure, but I think it's synonomous with theoillogical... but, considering his political nature, Buckley's answer would be "No comment" (in Latin, of course.)

Ron White
Edited by - ronnywhite on 11/20/2005 19:32:15
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  12:01:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Penn always comes on preety strong, but you gotta love him; well I do anyway.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo

24 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  03:13:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Jumbo a Private Message
quote:
This I believe: that it is intellectually easier to credit a divine intelligence than to submit dumbly to felicitous congeries about nature.

He is correct here. It is intellectually easier. If you just says [deity of choice] did it then you dont have to tax your intellect doing any actual research any more.

I have to say this from Mr Jillete is a lovely quote:
quote:
“I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows, and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough… It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. ”

Ive tried to say things along those lines when told that my lack of religion and love of science means that my world is somehow less beautiful and worthwhile but i never encapsulated it like that.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted
Edited by - Jumbo on 11/29/2005 03:15:00
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  05:43:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
And that's the bottom line. Thank You Penn Jillette.
quote:
... all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.

I find it outrageous when the religious claim to have a more meaningful life. As pointed out previously, "Religion stops a thinking mind." As soon as I started accepting responsibility for the bad things in my life I knew I had to make changes instead of asking for changes to occur.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.