New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  07:37:21  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Insanity reigns on the day after Thanksgiving.
quote:
Sat, Nov. 26, 2005

Shopping season off to a wild start

POLICE CALLED TO RESTORE CALM AT MTN. VIEW WAL-MART

By John Boudreau, Jessie Seyfer, Michele Chandler and HongDao Nguyen

Mercury News

The holiday shopping season kicked off Friday with a near-riot at the Wal-Mart in Mountain View as early-morning bargain hunters jostled with each other to get their hands on discounted laptop computers.

Police were eventually called to calm unruly shoppers who climbed over a display case and shouted in a desperate effort to get their hands on one of a couple-of-dozen Hewlett-Packard notebook computers -- on sale for just $22 off the regular price of $400.

There are at least a thousand comments that I could make on this utter idiotcy, all of them snide and some few profane, but I'm sure we've pretty much already heard them all, already. I will state though, that causing injury to your neighbor at worst, and property damage to a store at best, for a lousy $22 saving, is the act of an utter fool who should have his/her ass kicked up amongst his/her ears.

The season just ain't that important, whatever your interpertetion of it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  08:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
And that, little Johnny, is what Christmas is all about. The End.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  09:06:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
(cue up music)...
I....saw mommy decking Santa Claus...

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  12:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
When my son was only 2 or 3, we went to an Easter egg hunt at the city park. When they let his group go parents were allowed to go with the kids as the kids were too young to find the eggs alone. I was appalled and disgusted. The adults all ran around as fast as they could and snatched up all the eggs for their kids. They practically trampled us. Once it started, I didn't even try to find any eggs. I told my son they were bad people and gave him stuff when we got home. We never went to another city egg hunt. This was Bellevue, mind you. Home of the well off Microsoft crowd. Fifteen years later we have a bit larger lower end section of town, but at that time most of those folks had to have been at least upper middle class.

What is really stupid about these sales is if people were told to wait in long lines for hours before the stores opened, and rush in and grab what they wanted to buy in the midst of a big crowd, and someone would pay them the $20 or $50 or whatever it was they were saving to do it, how many would do it then?

These idiots could have bought all but maybe the new XBox the Wednesday before for a few more bucks. And the new XBoxes were unlikely available since those would have already sold out.

I never shop on T-day weekend. Any sale you get now is either a cheap get you to the store loss leader or was or will be at the same sale price on other days. And whatever things are in the ads, you can bet the other stuff in the store is not such a bargain. Have these people no marketing knowledge?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  13:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I will sacrifice the dollars I could save and do (as I have for the past 5 years) all my shopping online and let the gifts be delivered.

That is my protest, feeble as it may be.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  15:17:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
I don't shop at Wallmart or Target. Reasons for avoiding Wallmart are generally well known.

Target advises their Pharmacists that they may deny birth control perscriptions if it is in conflict with their religious convictions. I'm not directly affected, but this bugs me. I have absolutely no problem finding necessary items as well as holiday gifts without Wallmart or Target stores.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  15:28:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I didn't know that about Target. Thanks for the info.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  16:49:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

I don't shop at Wallmart or Target. Reasons for avoiding Wallmart are generally well known.

Target advises their Pharmacists that they may deny birth control prescriptions if it is in conflict with their religious convictions. I'm not directly affected, but this bugs me. I have absolutely no problem finding necessary items as well as holiday gifts without Wallmart or Target stores.

Kind of like a pro-lifer working as a secretary at an abortion clinic.

But it isn't quite that bad. From here:

quote:
Target's Michaud says the company's policy for pharmacists who choose not to provide emergency contraception is very respectful of customers. Pharmacists are expected to ask another pharmacist in the same store to fill it, she said. If none is available, they are required to call another pharmacy to make sure that the drug is in stock and that the customer can get it, Michaud said.

Although I think a much simpler solution is that anyone who has a problem selling the products just doesn't work in the pharmacy. Would the same rules apply if I had a religious objection to selling Advil? I think not.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/26/2005 16:53:09
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  19:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Target's Michaud says the company's policy for pharmacists who choose not to provide emergency contraception is very respectful of customers. Pharmacists are expected to ask another pharmacist in the same store to fill it, she said. If none is available, they are required to call another pharmacy to make sure that the drug is in stock and that the customer can get it, Michaud said.

Although I think a much simpler solution is that anyone who has a problem selling the products just doesn't work in the pharmacy. Would the same rules apply if I had a religious objection to selling Advil? I think not.

Hmm, didn't know that bit about Target and I work there. Yesterday was a mess. Yes the Target Two-Day Sale is a blackout date, everyone works.

Let's see, people obviously never learned how to hang anything up, put it back where they found it, or take it to someone that actually knows what to do with it. Fortunately, beyond that bit, there were no fights in the middle of the Target where I work. Maybe next week will be easier and I'll actually find a real job.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  02:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

Target advises their Pharmacists that they may deny birth control prescriptions if it is in conflict with their religious convictions. I'm not directly affected, but this bugs me. I have absolutely no problem finding necessary items as well as holiday gifts without Wallmart or Target stores.

Kind of like a pro-lifer working as a secretary at an abortion clinic.

Yes. To use an overstated phrase, it's the principle of the thing that is screwy. To illustrate the point, here is an example, paraphrasing the company's statement. (This hasn't happened yet, but I think the principle still applies):

...policy for Pharmacists who choose not to provide prescriptions is very respectful of Jewish/Agnostic/Black/Muslim/Atheist/or left-handed customers. Pharmacists are expected to ask another pharmacist in the same store to fill it. If none is available, they are required to call another pharmacy to make sure that the drug is in stock and that the Jewish/Agnostic/Black/Muslim/Atheist/or left-handed customer can get it.

...policy for Pharmacists who choose not to provide prescriptions is very respectful of customers who were not observed in church last Sunday. Pharmacists are expected to ask another pharmacist in the same store to fill it. If none is available, they are required to call another pharmacy to make sure that the drug is in stock and that the customer who was not observed in church last Sunday can get it.

Other problems with this policy:
Physician's office has to be advised by refused patient of new pharmacy.
The other drug store may charge a different price.
Pharmacists who have no problem filling birth control prescriptions could be targeted (pun) by religious groups or fellow staff.
There is actually no stipulation that the policy applies only to birth control medication. Despite the intent of Target, it applies to personal convictions or whims of the employee.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  08:35:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
It won't be long before the mega-churches (there are a few in Mobile AL - like "6 flags over jesus" aka Dauphin Way Baptist) have their own drug stores in the church itself so that they can control what drugs to give to their parishoners.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  13:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Dominos Pizza gives a lot of money to the ProLife cause. I quit ordering their pizzas. I try to avoid Home Depot as they give 98% or so of their political donations to the Republicans.

I would love an updated concise list if anyone had one of who these guys are donating money to.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  13:48:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

...I would love an updated concise list if anyone had one of who these guys are donating money to.

This might help:
http://www.buyblue.org/directory/alpha

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  17:43:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Wow, that's disappointing. The company I work for helps republicans (though, not a huge gap between how much they donate to dems and reps).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2005 :  22:24:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Target advises their Pharmacists that they may deny birth control perscriptions if it is in conflict with their religious convictions. I'm not directly affected, but this bugs me. I have absolutely no problem finding necessary items as well as holiday gifts without Wallmart or Target stores.

Except in Illinois where the Illinois Rules commission declared it a breach of their license to refuse to fill valid prescriptions (except for saftey reasons) when stocks are on hand. It carries as a punishment forfieture of license.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  02:22:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

...I would love an updated concise list if anyone had one of who these guys are donating money to.

This might help:
http://www.buyblue.org/directory/alpha

Thanks, that site is so much more complete than the one I had. Gees it's hard to avoid those Republican business supporters.

What a crack up, Ace Hardware gave $300. You have to wonder what that was about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.