Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

verso
Skeptic Friend

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  14:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verso a Yahoo! Message Send verso a Private Message
Yes, and just looking at her obesity, gross teeth, and listening to that southern drawl, is it really any surprise?

Those weirdo christians! Those wild eyed, hysterical christians! The insane fanatacism - the raging, ranting, seething christian masses.

quote:
Even in my home town a convenience store clerk suggested I buy some penny candy after he rang me up. Why? The total was $6.66. He couldn't understand why I would willingly make a purchase that was the devil's number and invite evil into my life.

That's crazy! Another perfect example of those insane fundies.

quote:
Sadly, the woman is indicative of the fundamentalist evangelical Christian mysticism.

Exactly. Nothing at all like all the cool, collected atheists/agnostics/buddists in the world.

quote:
Hey you should go spend 6.66 every day for a week. Then get two sets of things that add up to 6.66 and have him ring them up seperatly.

Yeah! That would be fun!

quote:
I had a friend whose card and registration number at a LAN house (ya know, violent multiplayer computer games) was exactly 666. He was also always dressed in black and loved to play vampire and werewolf rpgs. It was also one of the coolest guys I ever met.

Makes you think, heh?

About what? A nice guy who has some "dark" tastes?

Seriously - this does not sound like a thread from a skeptics forum.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Wow, you are so cool.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:20:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verso...

Yes, and just looking at her obesity, gross teeth, and listening to that southern drawl, is it really any surprise?

Those weirdo christians! Those wild eyed, hysterical christians! The insane fanatacism - the raging, ranting, seething christian masses.
I can't figure out if you're reading a whole lot into the previous comments that isn't actually there, if you're just playing around and having some fun, or if you actually are the sarcastic asshole that you appear to be, mouthing off to some skeptics who have made some interesting observations about an odd individual. Maybe something about that woman's ridiculous behavior hit a little too close to the bone. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:20:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Not all christians are fundies. It is a derogatory term reserved only for the superbly ignorant.

quote:
A lot are this way, and their religious beliefs are inextricably linked to their behavior. It is impossible to discuss this pervasive mindset without mentioning the fact that they are christians. I'm sorry if this causes you to feel some sort of shame by association, but I would suggest directing your anger at them and not us.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/02/2005 15:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:40:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verso

quote:
I had a friend whose card and registration number at a LAN house (ya know, violent multiplayer computer games) was exactly 666. He was also always dressed in black and loved to play vampire and werewolf rpgs. It was also one of the coolest guys I ever met.

Makes you think, heh?

About what? A nice guy who has some "dark" tastes?

Exactly. He was one of the funnest, most sensible guys I've ever met. But I'm sure the fundie kids would find him the incarnate satanist just because of his tastes (which are shared by me, by the way).

I was being ironic, in case you haven't noticed.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:41:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Christianity is not the cause of her behavior. Most Christians do not act like that. I'd say most fundies don't act like that. They may be afraid of Satan, but they don't wack out like that.

Christianity is separate from the need for acting lessons.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

verso
Skeptic Friend

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verso a Yahoo! Message Send verso a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Wow, you are so cool.

Thank you? You are too!

quote:
Christianity is not the cause of her behavior. Most Christians do not act like that. I'd say most fundies don't act like that. They may be afraid of Satan, but they don't wack out like that.

Christianity is separate from the need for acting lessons.

Thanks for a thoughtful post!

quote:
Exactly. He was one of the funnest, most sensible guys I've ever met. But I'm sure the fundie kids would find him the incarnate satanist just because of his tastes (which are shared by me, by the way).

Sorry, I still don't see anything to think about. I'm pretty fundamentalist, and I've had gothic friends - and thought nothing of it.

quote:
A lot are this way, and their religious beliefs are inextricably linked to their behavior. It is impossible to discuss this pervasive mindset without mentioning the fact that they are christians. I'm sorry if this causes you to feel some sort of shame by association, but I would suggest directing your anger at them and not us.

You must live in California or something, because I swear - I have NEVER seen, among the hundreds of christians I've known, anyone remotely close to this.

And no, no anger. Just enjoying an amusing thread. :)

quote:
I can't figure out if you're reading a whole lot into the previous comments that isn't actually there, if you're just playing around and having some fun, or if you actually are the sarcastic asshole that you appear to be, mouthing off to some skeptics who have made some interesting observations about an odd individual. Maybe something about that woman's ridiculous behavior hit a little too close to the bone. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate.

Consider my post a caricature of this thread, Mr Gee "Anger Issues" Mack. A little sarcasm and a little fun, and wow, what a defensive response!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  16:10:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Sorry, I still don't see anything to think about. I'm pretty fundamentalist, and I've had gothic friends - and thought nothing of it.

More or less "makes you think what they (and especially random people like that girl) would think."

One of my other friend's mother thought he was possessed simply because he liked hard rock and wearing black (also tastes that I share, though I'm not gothic; I just like black). She constantly called on him being with the Devil and other similar rants. He wasn't even gothic or anything. He didn't have to, to be called on his tastes.

My own mother is Christian. She, at least, didn't think my heavily tattoed, heavily pierced and sometimes downright gothic friends were possessed.

Some people are paranoid, some aren't.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  17:01:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
You must live in California or something, because I swear - I have NEVER seen, among the hundreds of christians I've known, anyone remotely close to this.
I live in Virginia. Have you ever witnessed anyone speaking in tongues?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  17:06:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I live in Alabama. You should come visit. Plenty of "Those weirdo christians! Those wild eyed, hysterical christians! The insane fanatacism - the raging, ranting, seething christian masses" around here. I used to be one.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  21:14:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Man, do I need a shower. That was not pleasant to look at. My barber talked to me about this, but seeing this has more....impact.

She definitely ran into something that didn't fit into her world view, and labeled it "bad" in order to deal with it. Which is to bad because if she opened her eyes she would have seen some of the good in it.

Personally I don't like the show, it strives for conflict and falure then understanding and learning. But then, that is most of reality TV.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  14:29:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
They must go out of their way to find the most bizarre people for that show. The upcoming ad shows a literally guy crying and going on about "you think everything I've done is wrong", or something like that because he's an atheist and the Christian wife who was swapped into his household was preaching away at him.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  17:29:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

They must go out of their way to find the most bizarre people for that show. The upcoming ad shows a literally guy crying and going on about "you think everything I've done is wrong", or something like that because he's an atheist and the Christian wife who was swapped into his household was preaching away at him.

I'm pretty sure that's the Infidel Guy…

http://www.infidelguy.com/

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  23:19:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
The show isn't always bad. I saw an episode with a middle class suburban Christian black family swapping with some white New-Agey alternative lifestylers, and while there was conflict and some misunderstanding, by the end there seemed to actually be some real growth bonding between between who were extremely different. Most of the episodes I've seen turned out relatively well, and even if the people were uncomfortable, most of them at least tried to understand the other family.

So, did anyone see this episode on television? And if so, what was the Wiccan woman like at the Christian family's house?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  04:35:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Not really, I don't watch it, though my mother does.
I've seen one where this cleaning freak girl got rid of all the family's animals but four (they had over twenty), without asking the family about it. Meanwhile the other woman got a cat and a dog to the cleaning freak's house...

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.