Religion
 Bob Jones Univ vs. Modern Physics?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  00:10:50  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
An article about what a Bob Jones University text has to say about physica and religion. Basically, it's one or the other, not both:

quote:
ome people have developed the idea that higher mathematics and science have little to do with the Bible or Christian life. They think that because physics deals with scientific facts, or because it is not pervaded with evolutionary ideas, there is no need to study it from a Christian perspective. This kind of thinking ignores a number of important facts to the Christian: First, all secular science is pervaded by mechanistic, naturalistic and evolutionistic philosophy. Learning that the laws of mechanics as they pertain to a baseball in flight are just the natural consequences of the way matter came together denies the wisdom and power of our Creator God. ... Second, physics as taught in the schools of the world contradicts the processes that shaped the world we see today. Trying to believe both secular physics and the Bible leaves you in a state of confusion that will weaken your faith in God's Word.

Nice eh? Just what we need in this political climate! Still, it's nice to know what their ultimate goals are.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  05:22:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
So the correct answer to any test question at BJ University is "God did it".

That's sad and scary. No wonder we are seeing more articles on America losing its edge in the sciences. Slowly plummeting down whatever scale is being used for comparison.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  06:24:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Oh yeah, real nice. Sounds like they'd prefer we'd all be dressing Amish-like, having witch hunts, and participating in nationally-televised exorcisms. What a bunch of wack jobs.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  14:56:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Reminds me of this article.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 12/02/2005 14:57:24
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  15:06:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Ya know, suddenly I love my college so much.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  16:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Ricky-
An "Evangillogical Scientist???"

Sib-
College in the States ain't usually that messed-up (else, we'd probably be speaking Russian right now, er somthin')

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  16:25:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite

Ricky-
An "Evangillogical Scientist???"

Sib-
College in the States ain't usually that messed-up (else, we'd probably be speaking Russian right now, er somthin')

I know... we do have umbandist theology courses as well. But at least the one I'm in teaches proper physics.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  18:14:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
First, all secular science is pervaded by mechanistic, naturalistic and evolutionistic philosophy.

They left out "supercalafragalistic".

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  18:21:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
And... "secular physics"?

... huh?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  18:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
So, Bigbrain -- are there or are there not satellites in orbit?
Oops,.... wrong forum.

So, Bob Jones -- is the Earth a globe or not?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  23:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
I think that Christians should go all the way. Abolish science altogether, make every effort, programme and project faith-based. Anything that is based on scientific knowledge mustn't be used, and instead they need to trust God to fix things for them. Let's see what works best, silly religion or real science.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  23:42:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:

Oh yeah, real nice. Sounds like they'd prefer we'd all be dressing Amish-like, having witch hunts, and participating in nationally-televised exorcisms. What a bunch of wack jobs.

Televised exorcisms? They would have to use all kinds of technology! Evil, secular technology.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  04:40:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick

quote:

Televised exorcisms? They would have to use all kinds of technology! Evil, secular technology.

It's not evil if you use it to make money for Jesus.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  13:52:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

It's not evil if you use it to make money for Jesus.

That's great!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.