Page: of 3

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  16:47:10  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.break.com/articles/tradingspouses2.html

Warning....weirdness abounds!
I don't know much about this TV program other than this supposed ending snippet shows a fundy woman returning home from, possibly, a wiccan family. She flips out. The woman is not normal (and she says the other family is the sick one???) Course, there's most definetely some camera acting going on. Weird, non the less.
Watch with the lights on.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  17:06:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy
The woman is not normal.
There are far, far more people like her in America than I care to admit. Whole mega-churches of families just like her screaming "we're god warriors!" It makes me sick to think about.

Even in my home town a convenience store clerk suggested I buy some penny candy after he rang me up. Why? The total was $6.66. He couldn't understand why I would willingly make a purchase that was the devil's number and invite evil into my life.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/30/2005 17:09:00
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  17:33:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
There are far, far more people like her in America than I care to admit. Whole mega-churches of families just like her screaming "we're god warriors!" It makes me sick to think about.

Crowd fanaticism/mass hysteria; and you're right H., it's all over the place.
I was going to say the woman needs a exorcist , but a Moonie-type deprogrammer would be more effective. See her terrified kids? Ton 'o emotional abuse in that family, I'd reckon.

quote:
Even in my home town a convenience store clerk suggested I buy some penny candy after he rang me up. Why? The total was $6.66. He couldn't understand why I would willingly make a purchase that was the devil's number and invite evil into my life.

Next time when the above happens, tell the clerk 666 is your lucky number. Then walk off foaming and speaking in tongue.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  18:45:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Holy Shit! That was scary. What would have to happen to a person to make them wind up like that? The abject fear of anything outside of her twisted view of the world is hard for me to understand. And subjecting her kids to that was just abusive. The woman needs serious help.

Three cheers for the Dark Side!

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  19:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck
What would have to happen to a person to make them wind up like that?
Ignorance, indoctrination, and a support network of like-minded individuals propping it all up.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  20:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
"dark sided?" at first I was confused but then she started talking about the moon. clearly the other family just has parts of it that are never turned towards earth.:-)

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  22:19:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor

"dark sided?" at first I was confused but then she started talking about the moon. clearly the other family just has parts of it that are never turned towards earth.:-)

If that's true (about the other family and their relationship to the moon,) then the crazy woman should be informed that the side of the moon that we Earth people never see gets sunlight too. (When we are seeing the shadowy "New Moon".) That oughta calm 'er down!

And here's just the person to explain it to her:
http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/quark/galery1/quark10.jpg

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  01:05:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
... Why? The total was $6.66. He couldn't understand ...

I was in a lab years ago when a counter returned a result of 666. Girl with me leerily stated "The Bible says he's alive in the Middle East right now, you know?" I said "How could that be? You've been telling me for months that you're working for him."

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  01:55:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

http://www.break.com/articles/tradingspouses2.html

Warning....weirdness abounds!
I don't know much about this TV program other than this supposed ending snippet shows a fundy woman returning home from, possibly, a wiccan family. She flips out. The woman is not normal (and she says the other family is the sick one???) Course, there's most definetely some camera acting going on. Weird, non the less.
Watch with the lights on.

I couldn't believe that either. I saw this thing whilst channel surfing and had to watch for quite a while just to figure out what the woman was on about. All the while the kids and spouse were trying to ignore her as in, "shut up Mom, they're paying us $50,000".

I have to say, though, that while channel surfing, you have to stop when some crazy woman is screaming about the horrible people who don't believe in Jesus that she had to run away from.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/01/2005 02:04:47
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  02:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:
The woman is not normal.

I was in the lunch line a few years back at the hospital. It was during Iraq 1 now that I think about it. The cafeteria folks had drawn a big peace symbol on the daily special chalk board. This what I thought was a normal doctor in front of me in line turned and said he believed that particular sign to be one of the devil. Unbelievable!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  02:03:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ronnywhite
Girl with me leerily stated "The Bible says he's alive in the Middle East right now, you know?"
Don't you just love it when people can't ever remember what they read in the bible and what they read in their Left Behind books? Since when is some half-cocked interpretation as good as being "in the bible?"

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  02:04:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I saw a few minutes of the crazy woman at the other house. She was upset because the guy there wanted to talk about astrology.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  04:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I saw a few minutes of the crazy woman at the other house. She was upset because the guy there wanted to talk about astrology.

Sounds like a fun match to watch

I had a friend whose card and registration number at a LAN house (ya know, violent multiplayer computer games) was exactly 666. He was also always dressed in black and loved to play vampire and werewolf rpgs. It was also one of the coolest guys I ever met.

Makes you think, heh?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  04:50:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Jesus brought the kind of peace to her heart that you dark-sided atheists just will never find.

Geesh.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  06:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Hey you should go spend 6.66 every day for a week. Then get two sets of things that add up to 6.66 and have him ring them up seperatly.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  07:38:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Kil shared this in Wednesday chat.

The people she went to were Wiccans.

Sadly, the woman is indicative of the fundamentalist evangelical Christian mysticism. Adherents are given all sorts of unBiblical dogma concerning spirits, who/what followers of "other" religions actually worship, mystical warfare against the Devil, and duties to church and family. How if people pray for you, you are protected from the dark side. (Thus the dark sided comments, indicating demonic worship or witchcraft) Since she felt threatened/freaked out by the family trying to combat her obvious distress by teaching her about the real motivations of the religion and tenets, she thought no one prayed for her. (As evidenced by the rant against her kids until one of the kids admitted to something she didn't do to calm her mother down)

Welcome to the fundie mysticism.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.