Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Once again the religous folks are all giddy about the release of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe because of all the christian symbolism. Sorta the same reaction to the Lord of the Ring movies, though I remember those books were controversial when I was coming up (fortunately I went to a private secular school, so I was able to read those and the Catcher in the Rye, Flowers for Algernon, and other "controlversial" books no problem.)

I was wondering what you guys think about this movie and the christian hype surrounding it.

I intend on going, since I enjoyed the book in my youth and think that it is a great story.

C. S. Lewis is a weak christian apologist, but he writes a good yarn.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:08:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
I'm with you pleco. I could give a rat's ass what the "religous folks" are doing, but I will see the film beacause it was the first novel I ever read and it looks like a decent flick.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:07:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The Christian symbolism isnt thick by any means. Now if they crucified the lion, then maybe...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
No it's not thick, and Lewis himself said he didn't intend it to be a christian allegory.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  12:02:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
C.S. Lewis was a very good writer.

The director of this movie is the guy who made the 2 unbelievably successful Shrek movies.

I think it will be a winning combo. I know I plan on going to see it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  12:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

No it's not thick, and Lewis himself said he didn't intend it to be a christian allegory.

I thought he said he did. (Half-remembered quotes from 25 years ago)

The symbolism isn't thick in LW&W. It gets progressively thicker as the series goes along but never gets "in your face" obvious. It is still an excellent book. I'm actually very interested in what they did with it in the movie.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  19:11:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
My daughter is psyched to go. The reviews have been very favorable. Now I find out the fundies hate it - well it's a lock, I'm going to see it!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  02:29:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I seem to recall seeing part of a serialized version on PBS some years ago.

I've never read the book and know of it only by reputation, but I too, am looking forward to the film as are ny grandkids.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  03:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I seem to recall seeing part of a serialized version on PBS some years ago.

Yes, it was a British production. I watched it as a kid. The tubby kid loved Turkish Delight. So do I. Yum.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  04:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Really? I thought that was the whole reason these idiots are encouraging going to see this movie.

Pat Robertson was just gushing today about it. But demanding they not change a word from the book. You'd think he believed it to be a second Bible text or something the way he was going on.

I never heard anything about this until just since the movie was released. I remember the series. It went on like a soap opera, week after week. I could never watch it because it was boring to me at the time.

Makes me wonder if this Jesus thing is a marketing ploy.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/13/2005 04:12:44
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  04:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I saw it.

I found it to be extremely good, if you like kiddy fantasy as I do. It's a Disney production, after all. The symbolism isn't in-your-face obvious... I mean... just because the lion offered himself in sacrifice to the White Witch to save the Sons of Adam, was sacrificed in a stone table then resurrected in a halo of light, just to disappear again...? Ok, maybe it is in-your-face obvious, but I like it anyway.

I haven't read the books (YET), though.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  05:58:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I saw it also. It was a faithful reproduction of the book, but less bloddy (the execution of Aslan, for instance). The Queen was the best character portrayed (same actress who was Gabriel in Constantine).

Quite a few church buses at the theater. I felt like a stranger in a strange land lol.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:07:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
I grok that pleco.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:23:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I found an empty theater. Guess Harry Potter assimilated 'em all. Narnia isn't particularly popular here, either.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:27:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
It whipped Potter in the states, though Potter has been out for weeks and the Fundie Christians are treating it like required veiwing to get to Heaven.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

hippy4christ
Skeptic Friend

193 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:33:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send hippy4christ a Private Message
The basic symbolism is: Edmund (the everyman) is doomed to death on the stone table (the ten commandments, the law) because of his sin; Aslan (Jesus) takes his place but breaks the stone table (breaks the power of the law).

Faith is believing what you are told, whether it's by a priest or a scientist. A person's scientific beliefs are ones based on personal observation and experimentation.

Lists of Logical Fallacies
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.