Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Astronomy
 Asteroid on collision course? Looks likely.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  14:03:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

This must scare the bejesus out of Bigbrain because he knows there is no possibility of launching a rocket to intercept the asteroid.

Holy crap you had me laughing at that one!

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  15:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist...

Now, Subjectmatter, why would I get ammo if I didn't have a gun?
That's a beauty, Cuneiformist. Would you like to trade?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  15:18:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:

Very nice, GeeMack. There was a time when I wasn't a fan of revolvers, but I took a friend to the local range a few months ago and he brought his own .44, and I had a pretty good time with it. Once I got used to the kick, I found that I was more accurate than with my 9mm!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
My favorite personal protection pistol/concealed carry pistol: Colt Airlite .38 spl. It weighs next to nothing -- the five rounds it holds are almost as heavy -- and is very compact. And for what it is, it's not too shabby on a target range.

With the exception af the Colt 1911 Military sidearm, .45 ACP, I've always favored the wheelguns. I especally like the Ruger Super Blackhawk, 44 mag. Stoutly loaded, it's an earth-shaker, and quite accurate. I hand-load virtually all of my ammunition (old pistol match competitor) and am only now getting back into shooting after a considerable hiatus. Hope to make some muzzleloader matches this coming summer and maybe a silhoette match (long range pisol), finances permitting.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:49:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:

Nice, but no match for this baby.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  22:34:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Owning a rifle or pistol would be pointless for me, since I'm so terrible at aiming them, I'd be just as likely to blow-away my tiny checking account by putting holes in the walls, or worse yet end up blasting my beloved ivory chess set, as hitting an uninvited maniac ariving to pillage my piss-ant apartment (bad eyesight, shakey hands... never could hit squat with the things, although I have tried... weird, as my old man was as good a shot as anyone I even seen.) I could actually shoot a shotgun pretty well, though, since I can "point at things" as well as the next guy. Used to hunt withem' now-and-then long ago... always came home with something, even if there wasn't a quail in sight for miles, I'd nail a jackrabbit, take it home, and cook it (later I found out they carried touluremia [sp?] and I shouldn't have been doing that, but I'm still here, so I guess I shot "the good ones.")

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

...can you gimmie an Amen?!

I'm beginning to become convinced that "God's will shall be done"... what's scaring the crap out of me is, exactly what that might mean.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  23:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Indeed. It is unlikely that I'll be around to see it, but my advice is as always for almost everything: hoard canned goods and stockpile ammunition, can you gimmie an Amen?!

Have you no offspring? Surely the filthy genes were worth passing on.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  23:44:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Wonder how they'll get their act together for this one, eh?

Who is this "they" anyway?
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  00:03:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Perhaps some good may come out of this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 12/08/2005 00:04:18
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  02:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

Indeed. It is unlikely that I'll be around to see it, but my advice is as always for almost everything: hoard canned goods and stockpile ammunition, can you gimmie an Amen?!

Have you no offspring? Surely the filthy genes were worth passing on.

Yes, yes, I've made my contribution to the gene pool, for better or worse. But I'm sure we will all soon be told that it is moot and God is gonna fix us once and for all in 2030. Forget all that Beast With Seven Heads crap in Revelation; that's merely the raving of some churchy or other with too much time on his hands and a really bad stash. God's gonna drop a Divine Cinder Block off the Heavanly Overpass, right through the windshield of our planetary, fucking ride.

Exactly why God might want to do such a ridiculous thing has never been clearly explained to me....

quote:
Owning a rifle or pistol would be pointless for me, since I'm so terrible at aiming them, I'd be just as likely to blow-away my tiny checking account by putting holes in the walls, or worse yet end up blasting my beloved ivory chess set, as hitting an uninvited maniac ariving to pillage my piss-ant apartment (bad eyesight, shakey hands... never could hit squat with the things, although I have tried... weird, as my old man was as good a shot as anyone I even seen.) I could actually shoot a shotgun pretty well, though, since I can "point at things" as well as the next guy. Used to hunt withem' now-and-then long ago... always came home with something, even if there wasn't a quail in sight for miles, I'd nail a jackrabbit, take it home, and cook it (later I found out they carried touluremia [sp?] and I shouldn't have been doing that, but I'm still here, so I guess I shot "the good ones.")

Ronny, I have always been a mediocer shotgunner, for some reason. No real interest in it, probably. The advice I give to anyone wanting to learn precision shooting is to get a cheap, bolt action .22 rifle -- a single-shot will do nicely -- and have a set of decent, adjustable sights installed -- open sights; not a 'scope. Then set up 25 and 50 yard targets and shoot hell out of them. Watch the point of impact change as you move the sights. Also, if you have either the time and skills, or the money, get a trigger job done on it.

The advantage of using a bolt gun instead of a semi-auto or lever action is that you can fire short ammunition at a cost of about $2.& change for 50. And the noise level is lower and there is virtually no recoil. O'course, all safety rules apply even with these little cartridges.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  03:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Sound like good suggestions... someone years ago had told me increasing trigger tension can help compensate for shakey hands, and a .22 would be the way to go if I bought a rifle again (I haven't priced ammo in a couple of decades, but even back then the .22 rounds were dirt cheap compared to everything else... it makes sense that the same would still hold true now.) I especially liked those shorts because they weren't nearly as noisy, but they would only work in my bolt-action (had a Remington that must have been from the 50s or maybe earlier as the model number was like "7" or something) but not in the semiauto... they'd jam it up. I thought the scope on that semiauto was going to be the cure to all my shooting woes, but turned out I wasn't any better with it... maybe worse.

Might be kind of fun... been a long time. Have a lot of desert around me, so maybe I'll check into it. But, of course, natural ability has a part in these things as with much else, and one can likely take a lousy shot and makem' somewhat better, but never into a marksman (kinda' like trying to take a mediocre highschool basketball player and turnem' into NBA material... all the coaching and training in the world won't do it... only so much one can do, given so much raw material to work with.)

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  05:33:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Forget that shaky hands business -- we all have them. The best marksmen are those who overcome them.

As to trigger tension, lighter is better at least up to the point where the trigger becomes unreliable and therefore dangerous. More important than that however, is trigger creep and backlash. The former is how far the trigger must travel before disengaging the sear and the latter is how far afterward. Both screw up the shot and should be eliminated by honing down the notch on the hammer for creep and installing a trigger stop for backlash. The trigger stop can be nothing more than a set screw drilled and tapped into the trigger guard, or even the trigger itself. When it is adjusted perfectly, lock the threads with clear fingernail polish. The trigger rebound spring can be cut or bent depending, to lighten the pull (do this in tiny increments -- cut or bend too much and you'll be in worse shape due to an unreliable trigger, and have to order a new spring, and wait forever for the precious, little bastard to arrive.

All of this is not as tech as it reads. The advantage of paying a compentant gunsmith is in that he will have all of the equipment and can have you a decent trigger in a short time. I do all of mine by hand and it takes a while. But that's part of the fun for me.

And the last and most important trigger tip of all is: don't use any more finger on it than absolutly necessary. The farther through the trigger guard your finger is, the more likely you will pull the shot to the left -- right, if you're a southpaw. Pull the trigger, stright back, with only the very tip of the finger.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  06:44:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
quote:

With the exception af the Colt 1911 Military sidearm, .45 ACP, I've always favored the wheelguns.

I agree with you, Filthy. As an ex-Navy SEAL, we were supplied Sig 9MM that I HATED. They rusted at a picyture of the ocean, jammed constantly, and 9MM is very UNreliable as to killpower. The classic 1911 .45 will put someone down. I'm sure you know the background of the Marines and needing .45s because .38s weren't putting down the Moros in the PI.

When we were crossing surf, I ALWAYS brought a revolver. So much easier to clean sand and surf from a revolver. A revolver is so much easier to maintain out in the field as well. I'm sure thre will be good arguments made for 14-15 shot autos, but I know that if you were out on an op and you were down to your side arm, your SOL.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  07:23:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
You are right. For some reason I can't fathom, everybody is vastly impressed by 9 mm and the over-engineered machinery that shoots it. I have found it to be under-powered and not giving the greatest accruacy (except for the combat match pistols, which are custom built and very high dollar). It reminds me a little of the .30 M-1 carbine. Fun to waste ammunition with, and not a bad home defense weapon against crackheads, but I wouldn't consider it for anything else.

Gimmie the old rattle-&-clank .45 or a good, snorky wheelgun any day.

Heh, I load the S&W Airlite with a 205 grain, .35 caliber, gas-checked, cast & sized rifle bullet ahead of 5 grains of Bull's Eye powder. It hits like there's no tomorrow and at bellygun ranges, it is devastating. The down side is that little monster will wreck your hand during a long session on the range. It hits almost as hard at the hang-on end..... ouch!

Welcome home, brother......

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:40:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
It's like the good old tried-and-true M-14 versus the M-16. The M-14 could go thru anything and shot a 7.62 versus the pea-shooter M-16. I hated the M-16. But part of that was jealousy--I was a 60 gunner in the platoon, humping belts of ammo, so I was jealous of the other guys carrying that toy gun.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds.