Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  06:37:05  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Completely frivolous question for you folks (since I have no idea where else I could post this and get serious responses). I just watched King Kong last night. Great movie with a great battle between Kong and not one, not two, but THREE (yes, THREE) T-rexes.

A scenario that I have had in my mind for years popped up as I was watching it: a fight between a Silverback gorilla and a Grizzly or a Polar Bear. Who would win? I think the gorilla may have a slight edge in strength but I wonder if the weight, claws, fangs and the general nasty attitude of the bear ("I am at the top of the food chain, pal") might even things up.

What do you think?

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  07:28:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fripp

Completely frivolous question for you folks (since I have no idea where else I could post this and get serious responses). I just watched King Kong last night. Great movie with a great battle between Kong and not one, not two, but THREE (yes, THREE) T-rexes.

A scenario that I have had in my mind for years popped up as I was watching it: a fight between a Silverback gorilla and a Grizzly or a Polar Bear. Who would win? I think the gorilla may have a slight edge in strength but I wonder if the weight, claws, fangs and the general nasty attitude of the bear ("I am at the top of the food chain, pal") might even things up.

What do you think?

Claws and teeth of a natural carnivore trump the strength of a herbivore. Plus the weight advantage puts the bear over the top.

Of course, nobody, and I mean nobody (except for those damn Mothra larvae) beats Godzilla.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  07:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Utter nonsense, of course -- such a matchup would never take place except under artificial circumstances, the distances between the two not withstanding.

Put your money on the bear. It is a lot more aggressive than the ape and far better armed in the "Nature Red in Tooth and Claw" dept. They are also very fast and unbelievably agile for an animal of such bulk. And, although built somewhat differently, fully as strong an it's proposed opponent if not more so.

No contest!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  08:18:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Cool. I was actually rooting for the bear...

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  08:57:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Do not underestimate the power of throwing feces.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  10:23:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
There's a show on Discovery Channel that pits (computer-generated) animals that would never fight in real life (geography not withstanding)...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  15:14:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
bear vs. 1/2 dozen wolverines?
bear vs. moose?
pack of wolves vs. pack of valaciraptors? (sp?)
wish I could see that show but, alas, no cable.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  15:55:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I've seen bear vrs siberian tiger (bear won), tiger vrs lion (lion won) and shark vrs hippo (hippo won).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  18:04:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
From wikipedia

Polar bear
quote:
The largest extant land carnivore, twice the size of a tiger and weight of a lion, adult males weigh from 400 to 600 kg (900 to 1300 lb) and occasionally exceed 800 kg (1750 lb). Females are about half the size of males and normally weigh 200–300 kg (450 - 650 lb). Adult males measure 2.4 to 2.6 m (7' 10" to 8' 6"); females, 1.9 to 2.1 m (6' 3" to 6' 11"). At birth, cubs weigh 600 to 700 g. Population estimates range from 16,000 to 35,000, with about 60% in Canada.

Gorilla
quote:
Gorillas move about by knuckle-walking. Males range in height from 1.65 m to 1.75 m, and in weight from 140 kg to 165 kg. Females are about half the weight of males.

But depending on the setting, I wonder if the gorilla could outsmart the polar bear. Also seems that the gorilla possibly has a speed advantage. I'm rooting for the primate.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  18:44:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Bears tend to be solitary and territorial. When they meet, particularly males, they fight, unless one backs down, which a smaller bear usually will. If there is no retreat, it gets bloody in a hurry. Grizzly are also known to take animals as large as caribou, although the ones they get are usually in some way injured or sick. These take a fair amount of effort to subdue, if not already dead and being scavenged. These guys effortlessly roll boulders and rip up stumps looking for grubs abd rodents.

If what I have read about gorillas is correct, they live in a close, rather tranquil, family society and their threats are mostly just that. Their feeding is a lazy process of finding favored fruits and leaves. As for speed and agility, there might be a match, but put stamina and an aggressive personality into the equasion, and you still have......

No contest. At all.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  18:52:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
But depending on the setting, I wonder if the gorilla could outsmart the polar bear. Also seems that the gorilla possibly has a speed advantage. I'm rooting for the primate.

not a chance! the gorilla might be able to avoid the polar bear,(i.e. climb a tree) but I doubt that it would have any chance of actually beating the bear. and at any rate the topic is about gizzlies ont polar bears, look at the title.
unless of cource it was one of the bloodthirsty Congo(Michael Crichton) gorrillas with the skull smashing paddles. those would kick some ass!!

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Edited by - trogdor on 12/19/2005 18:59:46
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  19:53:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
The amount of times we've had this discussion in a pub! Sheesh!
quote:
A scenario that I have had in my mind for years popped up as I was watching it: a fight between a Silverback gorilla and a Grizzly or a Polar Bear.

The Polar Bear gets the gong every time. they are BIG, stong, carniverous, HUNTERS. End of discussion, I said, so there!
The real question is, king 0 the land (us excepted) v king 0 the ocean (Great White)?
My money's still on the Polar Bear.

edited to add

I'm surprised DonKing hasn't thought of this

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  21:37:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fripp

A scenario that I have had in my mind for years popped up as I was watching it: a fight between a Silverback gorilla and a Grizzly or a Polar Bear.

quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor
not a chance! the gorilla might be able to avoid the polar bear,(i.e. climb a tree) but I doubt that it would have any chance of actually beating the bear.

Seeing as the Polar Bear is the larger animal, indeed, the largest land predator in the world, I went with that.

I'm still not so sure about the bear winning. If this was a straight match up, like in a ring, I'd vote bear, but Fripp never said it was. If I was a large primate capable of using tools (and I am), I wouldn't just sit there and take a beating ...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  03:28:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Adult male gorillas don't climb trees for the same reason their bruin counterparts don't -- they are way too heavy for it.

I could be wrong here, but I think that, apart from ourselves, chimps are the only primate to use tools in any sort of aggressive/defensive manner, and then only clumsily. It's more of a threat gesture than an actual attack. Chimps are much more aggressive than gorillas to start with.

When it comes to dealing with large bears -- grizzly, Kodiak Island (same thing), polar, European brown and so forth -- the wise primate's weapon is distance.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  07:01:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
I say it's unfair to pit a gorilla against a bear. The natural weapons of a bear give it an unfair advantage.

We should first equip the gorilla with some retractable razor-sharp blades on its arms and legs. Tipped with acidic venom. And some kevlar body armour. And genetically engineer it to develop ridiculous muscle mass.

And train it to not cut itself with the blades of course...

Bring it, bear. I'm ready for you. My gorilla could handle a pack of youse polar bears!

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  08:14:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Okay then, how about pitting the bear and the gorilla in a battle of wits? A game of chess, maybe? I say the bear is just befuddled by all those chess pieces and probably gets angry and smashes the board. The gorilla at least picks up a couple of pieces, sniffs and tastes them before loosing interest. A clear win for the gorilla…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.