Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  00:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
On a lighter note,

quote:
... it was actually all rather exhilirating. I rather enjoyed myself on the witness stand, because I got to explain in very great detail the argument for intelligent design, and the other side had to sit there and listen.

The cross examination was fun too, and showed that the other side really does have only rhetoric and bluster....
Who?

Michael "Astrology is Science" Behe
of course.

Edit to add: PZ Meyers thanks Behe for all the help.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 12/21/2005 00:42:05
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  02:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
So what does the losing side say?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1427832
quote:
Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel of the Thomas More Law Center in Ann Arbor, Mich., which represented the school district and describes its mission as defending the religious freedom of Christians, said the ruling appeared to be "an ad hominem attack on scientists who happen to believe in God."
And one of the liars, former school board member William Buckingham,
quote:
"I'm still waiting for a judge or anyone to show me anywhere in the Constitution where there's a separation of church and state," he said. "We didn't lose; we were robbed."

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  03:22:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9698919/from/RL.1/

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  09:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Impressive reply from Dembski, The Significance of the Dover Decision.

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  12:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude:

Here is the full text, in pdf format, of the judges decision.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/sections/news/051220_kitzmiller_342.pdf

Thanks for the link, Dude. A great read. I found myself chuckling out loud a few times. I would encourage everyone to read the full text of the decision, not only to be informed about what the judge actually wrote, but also because it is well written and about as entertaining as a legal document is likely to be.

Some of highlights, imo:

quote:
In summary, the disclaimer singles out the theory of evolution for special treatment, misrepresents its status in the scientific community, causes students to doubt its validity without scientific justification, presents students with a religious alternative masquerading as a scientific theory, directs them to consult a creationist text as though it were a science resource, and instructs students to forego scientific inquiry in the public school classroom and instead to seek out religious instruction elsewhere.

Six strikes and you're out! This very succinctly sums up the idiotic policy the school board put in place.

quote:
After a searching review of the record and applicable caselaw, we find that while ID arguments may be true, a proposition on which the Court takes no position, ID is not science. We find that ID fails on three different levels, any one of which is sufficient to preclude a determination that ID is science. They are: (1) ID violates the centuries-old ground rules of science by invoking and permitting supernatural causation; (2) the argument of irreducible complexity, central to ID, employs the same flawed and illogical contrived dualism that doomed creation science in the 1980's; and (3) ID's negative attacks on evolution have been refuted by the scientific community. As we will discuss in more detail below, it is additionally important to note that ID has failed to gain acceptance in the scientific community, it has not generated peer-reviewed publications, nor has it been the subject of testing and research.

I couldn't agree more. This paragraph should be tattooed on the foreheads of the Kansas Bored of Education pinheads.

quote:
ID is at bottom premised upon a false dichotomy, namely, that to the extent evolutionary theory is discredited, ID is confirmed. (5:41 (Pennock)). This argument is not brought to this Court anew, and in fact, the same argument, termed “contrived dualism” in McLean, was employed by creationists in the 1980's to support “creation science.” The court in McLean noted the “fallacious pedagogy of the two model approach” and that “[i]n efforts to establish ‘evidence' in support of creation science, the defendants relied upon the same false premise as the two model approach . . . all evidence which criticized evolutionary theory was proof in support of creation science.” McLean, 529 F. Supp. at 1267, 1269. We do not find this false dichotomy any more availing to justify ID today than it was to justify creation science two decades ago.

And so the sham of ID creationism is now written into legal history.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  17:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
prosecutors seeks perjury charges in dover case

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  17:39:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
As an addendum to my last link about the prosecutors seeking perjury charges against the ID guys, I thought I'd post this bit of brazen bullshit from Dembksi:

quote:
What I propose, then, is a strategy for interrogating the Darwinists to, as it were, squeeze the truth out of them. For a glimpse of what I have in mind, see the examination of Eugenie Scott by Robert George before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights (go here).

He says that the solution isn't for the ID people to be interrogated, but for them to interrogate the Darwinists. Well, so far both in the science field and in court, the Darwinists have no problem being put under the gun.

EDIT: more stuff about perjury.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 12/22/2005 18:51:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  21:13:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

He says that the solution isn't for the ID people to be interrogated, but for them to interrogate the Darwinists. Well, so far both in the science field and in court, the Darwinists have no problem being put under the gun.
Yeah, Dembski has been having wet dreams about evolution's "Waterloo" since early 2005, at the latest (the "brazen bullshit" was from May, 2005). But, as has been pointed out many times in many places, every time evolution and creationism (of any form) have gone head-to-head in a fair hearing (like during a Federal trial), evolution has won, easily. Dover was just the latest in a long string of victories.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  23:52:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
From (former YEC) Glen R Morton - The Imminent Demise of Evolution:
The Longest Running Falsehood in Creationism

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:38:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

From (former YEC) Glen R Morton - The Imminent Demise of Evolution:
The Longest Running Falsehood in Creationism

That's a fun paper.

quote:
"Just as students learn that scientists used to believe that the Sun moves around the Earth and maggots are spontaneously generated in rotting meat, so students also learn that scientists used to believe that human beings evolved through random mutations and natural selection."
Notice how they took 'the Earth orbits the Sun' from science as their own and attributed 'the Sun orbits the Earth' to science? Wow!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  13:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Yes, I seem to recall that scientists were the ones that debunked the once common beliefs of sun orbiting the earth and spontaneous regeneration.

I suppose in the creationsits textbooks they will re-write history just like some history books have been doing.

And you thought lying was a violation of some commandment somewhere....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  01:05:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message

False judge makes mockery of case for 'intelligent design'
, by Phyllis Schlafly
quote:
...this federal judge, who owes his position entirely to those voters and the president who appointed him, stuck the knife in the backs of those who brought him to the dance in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.
In an era of judicial supremacy, Judge Jones' biased and religiously bigoted decision is way over the top. His decision will ultimately hurt the evolutionist cause because it shows that the evolutionists cannot defend their beliefs on the merits; they can only survive by censoring alternate views.

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  07:32:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
False Judge Makes Mockery of Case for 'Intelligent Design'...

Contrary to most media coverage, the Dover case was not about whether Darwin's theory of evolution, as set forth in "The Origin of the Species," or the theory of "intelligent design" is correct or should be taught. The Dover school board did not propose to say intelligent design is scientific or valid, or even to decrease its teaching of evolution.
Then why is she whining about the judge throwing it out of science classes? Would she have every invalid unscientific alternative concept brought up for discussion in science classes? How absurd. All the ID camp had to do was demonstrate that their "theory" was science. They couldn't do it because it's not. Poor little persecuted Phyllis Schlafly and her poor little persecuted unintelligently designed pals. Wahhhh.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  08:25:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
The atheist evolutionists would not have made such a big case out of the four innocuous paragraphs ordered by the Dover school board unless they were pursuing an ideological cause. They converted the trial into a grand inquisition of religious beliefs instead of addressing science or the statement to be read to students. (Bolding mine)

Gee, Phyllis, good thing you aren't making this to be about religious beliefs. What a dumbass.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  08:35:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

quote:
False Judge Makes Mockery of Case for 'Intelligent Design'...

Contrary to most media coverage, the Dover case was not about whether Darwin's theory of evolution, as set forth in "The Origin of the Species," or the theory of "intelligent design" is correct or should be taught. The Dover school board did not propose to say intelligent design is scientific or valid, or even to decrease its teaching of evolution.
Then why is she whining about the judge throwing it out of science classes? Would she have every invalid unscientific alternative concept brought up for discussion in science classes? How absurd. All the ID camp had to do was demonstrate that their "theory" was science. They couldn't do it because it's not. Poor little persecuted Phyllis Schlafly and her poor little persecuted unintelligently designed pals. Wahhhh.

Oh man, this kills me…
quote:
Phyllis Schlafly:
Judge John E. Jones III could still be chairman of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board if millions of evangelical Christians had not pulled the lever for George W. Bush in 2000. Yet this federal judge, who owes his position entirely to those voters and the president who appointed him, stuck the knife in the backs of those who brought him to the dance in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.

Schlafaly opens her rant against Judge Jones supposed judicial activism by suggesting that he should be beholden to the evangelical Christians who voted for Bush clearly suggesting that she would have had no problem with judicial activism as long as it was on the side she agrees with. “Stuck a knife in the backs of those who brought him to the dance…” I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that she would feel that way but hey, what hypocrisy!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.