ID lies (again)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  22:38:37  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
So this is not really all that newsworthy, but I did some checking on the ID website Discovery Institute and saw that they were boasting about various "peer-reviewed" publications. This is sort of a big deal, and I thought it worth investigating more. The first one on the list was:
quote:
Stephen Meyer, “The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories” Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 117(2004):213-239.
Who, according to the blurb, argued:
quote:
that competing materialistic models (Neo-Darwinism, Self –Organization Models, Punctuated Equilibrium and Structuralism) are not sufficient to account for origin of the information necessary to build novel animal forms present in the Cambrian Explosion. He proposes intelligent design as an alternative explanation for the origin of biological information and the higher taxa.
Woah! There it is-- ID in a nutshell! And in a major peer-reviewed publication!

Interested, I went to the publication in question. It took me all of five seconds to find this, where we learn that
quote:
The paper by Stephen C. Meyer, "The origin of biological information and the higher taxonomic categories," in vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 213-239 of the Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, was published at the discretion of the former editor, Richard v. Sternberg. Contrary to typical editorial practices, the paper was published without review by any associate editor; Sternberg handled the entire review process. The Council, which includes officers, elected councilors, and past presidents, and the associate editors would have deemed the paper inappropriate for the pages of the Proceedings because the subject matter represents such a significant departure from the nearly purely systematic content for which this journal has been known throughout its 122-year history.
Oops. Oh well, I'm sure that the Discovery Institute people will make note of this on their website any day now...

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:27:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yeah, this whole thing is a big stinker, and was followed by the dedicated folks over at Panda's Thumb. The review article, "Meyer's Hopeless Monster," was one of the first of them. "The 'Meyer 2004' Medley" offers a chronology through the end of September, 2004, but things don't stop there. On December 16, 2005, this Thumb post pointed everyone to "The Sternberg Saga Continues," in which Daniel Morgan presents an excellent, up-to-date review of the editor's experiences.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

skiddum

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  12:51:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skiddum's Homepage  Send skiddum an AOL message Send skiddum a Private Message
Thanks for the props, Dave W. I checked out your work on psoriasis briefly. Take care.

Dishonesty runs pretty rampant at the DI...for a bunch of "Christians" they are obviously about as Christian as the politics dictate that they be. Their greatest success, in my mind, has been changing the attack from evolutionary theory, or any particular aspect of common descent, to "Darwinism". Too many people are too dumb to notice that philosophy and ideologies are not resolved through a genetics lab or angiogenesis grant. As they admitted in their Wedge document (which they have not denied, see here, or here), they seek "nothing less than the overthrow of materialism and its cultural legacies". Unfortunately for them, evolution is no more inherently materialistic than atomic theory or the germ theory of disease. And unfortunately for the rest of us, too many Americans are too stupid to notice that, or understand the implications thereof, or understand WHY the DI changed their name from "Center for the RENEWAL OF Science and Culture" to just "CSC".

Luciferi primo cum sidere frigida rura carpamus, dum mane novum, dum gramina canent
--Virgil, Georgics (III, 324-5)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  18:10:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Welcome, skiddum, to the SFN! What a surprise! Most of the authors we link to, here, don't show up within hours.

Edited to add: Oops, you've been a member since February. Well, welcome again!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

skiddum

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  19:01:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skiddum's Homepage  Send skiddum an AOL message Send skiddum a Private Message
Haha, yeah. I've spent too much time on the computer lately as I have been without any work to do visiting relatives in VA. Thanks for the welcome mat. I wish I had posted more here, but I do a lot more posting at CreationTalk.com and DarwinTalk.com, and I started blogging.

Luciferi primo cum sidere frigida rura carpamus, dum mane novum, dum gramina canent
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  22:52:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'm in VA. Where are your relatives (generally speaking)?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

skiddum

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  13:47:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skiddum's Homepage  Send skiddum an AOL message Send skiddum a Private Message
Richlands, specifically, and in-laws are in Wise. SW VA. Just got back from there.

Hope you had a nice holiday.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  14:35:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It's a small world. I have in-laws in Richlands. My wife's parents both grew up there.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.